Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Daypack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I use an old REI day pack that isn't made anymore. Every once in a while I look at replacements becasue it isn't going to last forever. I like it becasue it has 2 water bottle pockets on the sides, and another small storage pocket on the back, so you don't need to dig thru the body of the pack to get to them. I also like that they totally zip shut -- nothing will ever fall out of em.
      2,000 miler
    • For day hikes I use any old thing. Usually grab one of the kids old school backpacks. (Those decade old mozzarella sticks I find in some hidden crevice can come in handy :) )

Once I grabbed a mini bag from when they were really little. The straps were too small to wear as a backpack so I just slung it over one shoulder and walked on. It's all good.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

I use an old REI day pack that isn't made anymore. Every once in a while I look at replacements becasue it isn't going to last forever. I like it becasue it has 2 water bottle pockets on the sides, and another small storage pocket on the back, so you don't need to dig thru the body of the pack to get to them. I also like that they totally zip shut -- nothing will ever fall out of em.
      I have a Rei Traverse that I use. It sounds just like yours max.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

279.63 kB, 799×600, viewed 272 times
    • Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I use an old REI day pack that isn't made anymore. Every once in a while I look at replacements becasue it isn't going to last forever. I like it becasue it has 2 water bottle pockets on the sides, and another small storage pocket on the back, so you don't need to dig thru the body of the pack to get to them. I also like that they totally zip shut -- nothing will ever fall out of em.
      I have a Rei Traverse that I use. It sounds just like yours max.
      It's very similar -- but my side water bottle pockets are taller and also have a zipper that totally closes it -- nothing will ever fall out of it.
      2,000 miler
    • I forgot to pack my day pack on my recent trip to AZ. No big deal, my normal walk when here is only 4-6 miles, the temperature is decent this time of year, and I can get by by carrying a water bottle in my hand. More annoying than anything.

I saw a discontinued Champion day pack at Costco for $9.97. It was marketed as outdoor gear, but since it has a laptop partition it's really more suited for a student hiking from class to class. :)

Anyway it carries a couple water bottles and some snacks just fine. I left it in AZ for future use. For 10 bucks I shoulda got another as a spare in case I ever needed one.
      2,000 miler
    • Honestly, a day pack can be anything. It can be cheap and/or heavy because it doesn’t matter…it’s still lighter than carrying a backpack!

It can be a fanny pack, a sling bag, or have a frame.

Or…one can simply stuff their car key into a pants pocket and carry a water bottle…no pack needed. Or simply take your car key and go for a hike.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • My go lite Rush 14l is on its last legs and should have been replaced two years ago. That day pack has been well used and well loved but it’s time to go. The buckle is broken, the zipper pulls are torn off so are now pieces of yarn, the fabric is flaking in places, and it’s stained and disreputable looking.

My problem is that I can’t find anything that I like as much as that pack. Every time I look, I get frustrated so won’t make a decision. Last month I finally decided to bite the bullet and find something that’s at least acceptable but wow, it’s been hard.

My requirements aren’t unreasonable…

NO hip belt pockets
      NO over-built internal support, it must be malleable so can be rolled or squashed into a suitcase.
      It must have an outside pocket, zip or mesh
      It must accommodate two water bottles
      It has to be a pleasing color
      It should be 16-20 L.

That’s not too much to ask is it?

Everything seems overbuilt and over priced. I visited REI and tried some on but didn’t find a single pack that met my requirements. The sales woman thought I was nuts.

So, after a lot of looking, I ordered a Gregory Nano 18 and an Osprey Sportlite 20 to compare the two. The 18L is too long for my torso and is uncomfortable, the 20L is shorter and more comfortable and ticks all the boxes but the shoulder straps aren’t anatomically shaped for me and seem a little wide and overbuilt with stiffeners and stuff…totally not needed for a lightweight pack. But I guess I’m going to keep the Osprey as it’s the closest to what I want.

I’ve been thinking about trying a hydration bladder, mainly for hot summer days…does anyone use one consistently?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I only use a hydration bladder if out for a day hike or Orienteering. Orienteering I take 1.5 liters and the pack is very small runners type. Just enough room for keys, wallet, a small knife and some tape and bandages. My old Camelbak Day Pack, the hydration bladder sprung a leak and the pack is worn. I got a knock-off 2 liter bladder and that set up is now just used for deploying and picking up orienteering gear. On REI Outlet, one of the fall sales, I got a new Gregory day pack. Neat thing about it was I could order a 1 liter, 1.5, 2, or 3 liter hydration bladder. I got the 2 and that is now my day-hike pack. Sadly the orienteering control bags don't fit well in it. I found that backpacking, I never knew how much water I had in the bladder. Plus taking it out of my backpack and filling it, then the contents would have shifted and I had to take stuff out to get the bladder back in. I then tried doing the "push filtered water into the bladder without removing it". But then I'd find I was usually paranoid and had too much water. I decided to use smart bottles while back packing and use the hydration bladders while day hiking and orienteering.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork