Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Halloween was a real treat. Started out in the low 40's with swirling winds, then got progressively colder once the sun went down. Five minutes into the sugar-crazed zombie apocalypse (trick or treating), it started snowing.

By 19:30, no kids felt is was worth the effort to gain more candy.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Halloween was a real treat. Started out in the low 40's with swirling winds, then got progressively colder once the sun went down. Five minutes into the sugar-crazed zombie apocalypse (trick or treating), it started snowing.

By 19:30, no kids felt is was worth the effort to gain more candy.
      Parents probaly said forget this, you can go home and eat the stuff at our house.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • It's Texas and 12/6/2023.
      Mid November I mowed the yard, thinking it would be the last time as we'd had a night at 26 degrees. I winterized the mowers. Our yard is still green and growing again, needing mowed again. I've raked up about 15 bags of leaves already. We have a lot of trees. Today I raked up 10 more. It was 65 degrees, sunny and I was in short sleeves.
      Some years I set out 40+ bags of leaves. Yes I've tried to compost them. I also killed 20 percent of the yard as it's like being under a forest. Not a lot of turf grass to be found in forest.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • That rainstorm that came up the coast a few days ago was a doozy.

I borrowed from the Interweb this photo of Jackson Falls in picturesque Jackson, NH so that you can see what it normally looks like...

Now watch this video after the storm...

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I was driving through that nor'easter last Sunday as I left Charlotte. It stayed with us until Charleston WV.

I've tried to explain to my Midwestern co-workers how much rain / snow can be dumped onto the eastern seaboard from a nor'easter. 36" snowfalls in 1993 and 1996 when I was in Central PA.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Currently running all of my humidifiers and dehumidifiers at the same time.

Upstairs is regular dry air from winter air and the wood stove. The "basement" (first floor of the flood zone house) is finally pumped, bleached, and drying after the Housatonic river went over the flood wall for the third time this year...
      Images
      • 3B135CE8-A903-4213-BA6F-76370E9D5C4A.jpeg

146.93 kB, 800×600, viewed 35 times
      • 891858FD-D1B7-4E81-A4EA-D98FAE1A1773.jpeg

91.2 kB, 600×450, viewed 30 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • In extreme Northeast Georgia (think AT near the NC border) they are calling for possible snow tonight from 1/10 to 1/2 inch. Not much but it's a start for those 1/1 hikers. :)

Where I'm at the highs have decreased from the mid 60s to the mid 40s over the past few days with absolutely no chance of that nasty white stuff.
      2,000 miler
    • 65 today and sunny in North Texas. Colder here by Monday. Rain on Tuesday, then warm, then wet and cool. somewhat typical Texas. I hope it rains out before next weekend as our first Orienteering meet of 2024 is 1/6/2024. The venue is on the south side of Lake Texoma. I've been up there with ice in the forest and other times with it wet. It's not bad when you are in the forest but break out along the lake or a exposed hill and get hit by a 20MPH north wind off that lake with mist, your sweat.....
    • It dropped below freezing last night with freezing drizzle, and there were lots of accidents on the Interstate and county roads. The sheriff's deptartment was asking people not to drive if possible. There is no snow on the ground, and temps have been above freezing during the day in December, thus our crocusses and daffodils have begun to peek through the soil.
    • rhjanes wrote:

65 today and sunny in North Texas. Colder here by Monday. Rain on Tuesday, then warm, then wet and cool. somewhat typical Texas. I hope it rains out before next weekend as our first Orienteering meet of 2024 is 1/6/2024. The venue is on the south side of Lake Texoma. I've been up there with ice in the forest and other times with it wet. It's not bad when you are in the forest but break out along the lake or a exposed hill and get hit by a 20MPH north wind off that lake with mist, your sweat.....
      My first job with Texas Instruments was in Sherman. Went to Lake Texoma several times. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

65 today and sunny in North Texas. Colder here by Monday. Rain on Tuesday, then warm, then wet and cool. somewhat typical Texas. I hope it rains out before next weekend as our first Orienteering meet of 2024 is 1/6/2024. The venue is on the south side of Lake Texoma. I've been up there with ice in the forest and other times with it wet. It's not bad when you are in the forest but break out along the lake or a exposed hill and get hit by a 20MPH north wind off that lake with mist, your sweat.....
      My first job with Texas Instruments was in Sherman. Went to Lake Texoma several times. :)
      We will be Orienteering at the Boy Scout, Camp James Ray this weekend. Interesting history. We have found what is an old fruit cellar or a tornado shelter (or both) ruins. Not far from it is a brick cistern. But really interesting and we don't know what it might be, we found about 4 equally distanced 6 inch PVC pipes sticking up in the forest. They are only about 1 foot tall above ground but dropping a rock in one and it was deep in there. It is close to those other features. Across the road on the more remote part of the camp, is an old water pump house.

Then father down the dirt road on that remote side are places with piles of rotting shingles. And when you get down to the lake are remains of a pavilion. In the mid 1950's my dad was stationed at that USAF Base that is now Grayson County airport. He said back in the 1950's that pavilion and such were picnic grounds for the air base. So those piles of rotting shingles are probably off the old base housing.

Before you turn out to head towards James Ray, there is another camp we use. The Elks recently bought it. The two orienteering maps actually join but since it's two parks, only the most advanced even notice that there are places on the map where the houses or boat docks are the same.
    • I was in the Denver area last week and got the high winds Tuesday night then the frigid temperatures on Thursday. Frigid to the point that the fresh water hose hooked to my plane froze in place and delayed my departure.

Came home to moderate temps in the 40's then got to re-live the high winds and plunging temps. A good weekend to hide out in my warm basement workshop.

• arctic cold front his Texas. Lows Monday and Tuesday morning will be single digits here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Wind chills have been below zero.
      I have the diesel truck plugged in and went and got some anti-gel for it. I decided to start it. Fired right up! No "Wait to Start" and the oil temp was 34 at start up while the air temp was 13. Within a few minutes the oil temp was 65. Water was still cold so no heat (press that heated seat button). I didn't drive it. I was driving the 2008 Mustang convertible. I told the wife I put the top down. She wasn't buying it. I told her we should put the top down and go do a Polar Bear Plunge. She had on several coats and told me to go have fun.

Snow is starting to stick. It's Texas and we had several days warning so the grocery shelves were stripped bare.
    • Wintergreen wrote:

Nine below zero with a wind chill of -20 this morning. We still have school. We don't close for cold until it reaches a wind chill of -35.
      Back in the day, the bus stop for my Catholic school was at the neighborhood public elementary school. Didn't matter where you lived in the neighborhood - it was the one stop. There were a number of times that the custodial staff would see us shivering in the cold and allow us to wait in the heated vestibule. Not every day... just the extra cold days when the bus was late. I think they technically weren't allowed to do it but used their own judgement.

10 degrees with light powdery snow this morning. How did I survive this long without my heated steering wheel? Oh yeah... driving gloves.