Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• For Texas, we've been slammed since Monday. Ice, sleet, freezing rain, thunder sleet. Up to 1/4 inch accumulation of ice on roadways. Temps below freezing so far at around 30 hours and about 30 more. Supposed to be above freezing by Thursday when it's a cold rain.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

For Texas, we've been slammed since Monday. Ice, sleet, freezing rain, thunder sleet. Up to 1/4 inch accumulation of ice on roadways. Temps below freezing so far at around 30 hours and about 30 more. Supposed to be above freezing by Thursday when it's a cold rain.
      Detroit Pistons had a game in Dallas Monday night. They're still there. NBA announced that their game tonight in Detroit has been postponed. They didn't have a choice.
      2,000 miler
    • RE: Texas

I can't figure out why burst pipes are even a concern in newly constructed buildings. My daughter's apartment complex in Austin was still being finished when she moved in mid-January 2022. And she received yet another warning to keep faucets trickling to prevent burst pipes during this latest cold snap. What are they doing construction-wise that's different than other parts of the country? Running pipes in uninsulated exterior walls?

Didn't they learn anything from the deep freeze a few years ago? ?(
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

RE: Texas

I can't figure out why burst pipes are even a concern in newly constructed buildings. My daughter's apartment complex in Austin was still being finished when she moved in mid-January 2022. And she received yet another warning to keep faucets trickling to prevent burst pipes during this latest cold snap. What are they doing construction-wise that's different than other parts of the country? Running pipes in uninsulated exterior walls?

Didn't they learn anything from the deep freeze a few years ago? ?(
      Probably multiple issues. It's deemed not cost effective for a once a year event. Or a once in a lifetime event. Our original part of our house, built in 1984, has the kitchen faucet, main bathroom sinks and tub all bring the lines up into outside walls. I keep them dripping and cabinet doors open. New codes probably call for better stuff which probably only adds a small price. But there are still buildings going up with tankless water tanks.....in attics. Building codes are also....interesting. Remember the government codes stuff to the minimum required. Then you have people cutting corners. There were commercial buildings built in the prior 10 years with fire suppression water lines in the attics. Heat goes off and they were blocks of ice. People get all upset at the power companies for "Butchering" "their" trees where electric lines are overhead (ours are). They try and tell people that they can only cut them back every 3 to 5 years so YEAH, they have to trim back 4 or 5 feet under those lines. And how about NOT planting your trees under the power lines? And when it ices (we are watching it real close now...it SAYS it is icing and we have ice in trees, but not on our fence). We also don't have basements for houses around this area. The soil can be very unstable, full of clay. Which shrinks up to inches during summers. People from the north sometimes demands a basement. We had a family member who built their own house and added a basement. Then got upset when building inspectors told them they had to, at a minimum, get the architect company to approve that the house was OK to be build over a basement (it wasn't.....). Roofs built to try and not rip off at high winds and tornadoes, but with a Rise/Run to sheet off snow? Not around here!
      I'm all for doing it right, but places have different needs for the area.
    • Reminds me of Henry Ford building houses in Fordlandia in the Amazon of Brazil. Metal roofs to hold 1 foot of snow just like Michigan. Workers chose to sleep outside instead of those "ovens".
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• So I am getting bombarded today with advice from Town Hall, my work, and the news on how to deal with the cold this weekend (projected low in my town of -8F). How to keep your pipes from freezing, your car from dying, your skin from frost bite, etc.

It is all good advice, but when I was a kid we use to just call this Winter, and they would still send us to school\, perhaps just adding a pair of 'Wonder Bread' plastic bags to keep our feet dry.

If you do not understand the 'Wonder Bread;' reference, I guess maybe you had to grow up in the Northeast in the 1960's.

S.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

So I am getting bombarded today with advice from Town Hall, my work, and the news on how to deal with the cold this weekend (projected low in my town of -8F). How to keep your pipes from freezing, your car from dying, your skin from frost bite, etc.

It is all good advice, but when I was a kid we use to just call this Winter, and they would still send us to school\, perhaps just adding a pair of 'Wonder Bread' plastic bags to keep our feet dry.

If you do not understand the 'Wonder Bread;' reference, I guess maybe you had to grow up in the Northeast in the 1960's.

S.
      LOL. Me also. And Wonder Bread.... But Texas isn't prepared for snow, ice or long term cold. Just as my grandparents in a mountain town in central PA, were not prepared for temps over 80. Well, maybe for a day or two.
      While visiting my mom, she had out some photo's of my sister and I in our parka's from Alaska, sitting on a snow pile next to our driveway outside Detroit Michigan, probably 1964. The snow is above the roof of the car. We have a similar photo from Yellowstone, winter of 1969. Somewhere there are photo's of snow drifts up the side of the buildings to the second floor in Montana. 15 degrees at 6 AM and a windchill of -15? Lets catch the bus to school!!! Dad would bring home an alert vehicle. At 10 PM we'd unplug the block heater on the car, drive out to the USAF flight line and inspect the blowing snow across the runways while dad talked with the tower and the two pilots trying to land with some 30 MPH crosswind and blowing snow.....and ice on the runway. The planes would use the drag chute's.....
    • IMScotty wrote:

or in the Midwest (Michigan)

rhjanes wrote:

While visiting my mom, she had out some photo's of my sister and I in our parka's from Alaska, sitting on a snow pile next to our driveway outside Detroit Michigan, probably 1964. The snow is above the roof of the car.
      Yes, I can confirm that was 1964. What fun that was. Although my Dad, an engineer who worked for Ford, had to walk a mile in that snow to his office building.

LIhikers wrote:

yep, I totally know the bread bag thing.
      Do people still eat Wonder Bread?
      Only those people who don't understand that whole grains is the way to go.

It was 7* when I woke this morning and had warmed up to 12* when I went to the grocery store; although that blast of frigid air made the wind chill -2*.
    • Trillium wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

or in the Midwest (Michigan)

rhjanes wrote:

While visiting my mom, she had out some photo's of my sister and I in our parka's from Alaska, sitting on a snow pile next to our driveway outside Detroit Michigan, probably 1964. The snow is above the roof of the car.
      Yes, I can confirm that was 1964. What fun that was. Although my Dad, an engineer who worked for Ford, had to walk a mile in that snow to his office building.

LIhikers wrote:

Only those people who don't understand that whole grains is the way to go.
      It was 7* when I woke this morning and had warmed up to 12* when I went to the grocery store; although that blast of frigid air made the wind chill -2*.
      We had several "fun" events with weather while in Detroit. Also the 5/64 Mt Clemens tornado, killed 11, EF4. I was sitting in our car at a neighbors house when it went over us. Took a few shingles off the houses and hit the farm across the main street taking out their huge tree and really tearing things up after that.
    • Astro wrote:

I take bread bags with me when hiking in the winter here in case my shoes get wet, I can at least try to keep the other pair of socks dry.

LIhikers wrote:

I believe you're both referring to BagTex™️ brand vapor barrier layers. ;)

pmags.com/quick-tip-bagtex-a-poor-mans-vbl
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Is anyone else glad that the 'MLK Hike' wasn't this weekend? :)
      Funny you say that. These are the current conditions at Brassie Brook Shelter:
      And these were the conditions there when I soloed it for MLK 2022:
      I'm still a little traumatized by that trip.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • High teens this morning, close to 30F now and high 40's are forecast for tomorrow. Might even see 50F.

Hope all you Northeast folks fare well.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Nabbed from Whiteblaze:

""The wind chill — what the temperature feels like — on the summit of Mount Washington, New Hampshire, dropped to minus 108 F. That's likely the lowest wind chill ever recorded in the United States since meteorologists began calculating wind chills, said Brian Brettschneider, an Alaskan climate scientist. Reconstructing wind chill based on historic records at Mount Washington shows the wind chill also could have been at minus 108 F or below on Jan. 22, 1885. The low that day — which still stands as the record low— was minus 50 F and the 24-hour average wind speed was 89 mph, Brettschneider said. That combination would produce a wind chill below minus 108 F, he said.
      The temperature on Mount Washington dropped as low as minus 46 degrees F on Friday night, with 97 mph winds, the National Weather Service said.""
    • Mid 70's last Sunday in Austin. Mid 70's today and tomorrow in Cincy. Then a drop below freezing for Friday morning. Freakin' roller coaster!