Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Leaving FL a day early tomorrow to get home before the snow and ice hits on Thursday and temperature eventually goes down to -1.
      Left FL at 2am my time and made it back the 1050 miles just before dark hear. Low tommorow is now up to 2*, but with Real Feel of -25*.
      Ran by grocery store and office tonight in case we are snow/iced in for a few days.
      Combine the impending bomb cyclone with Christmas meal shopping and the grocery store was insane. It's times like this that make the idea of a Mountain House meal in a quiet campsite very appealing.

Just put my Christmas Eve BBQ order in at Mission BBQ. And my daughter delivered a 1.75L bottle of Weller Special Reserve straight from Austin.

Bring it!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Fontana Dam to Clingmans Dome, and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Leaving FL a day early tomorrow to get home before the snow and ice hits on Thursday and temperature eventually goes down to -1.
      Left FL at 2am my time and made it back the 1050 miles just before dark hear. Low tommorow is now up to 2*, but with Real Feel of -25*.Ran by grocery store and office tonight in case we are snow/iced in for a few days.
      That’s a long drive! Glad you made it home before the bad weather.
      I’ve also prepared. Packed my bag tonight for an extended stay at work.

I’m very lucky that my hospital pays for hotel rooms for essential employees during bad weather. There are several within walking distance and I’ve had to utilize them several times.
      My son works at a PT clinic that is 95% sure they will be closed on Friday.

His fiance does in-patient PT at a hospital and they consider her essential. She will most likely end up at a hotel near the hospital tonight then join us Friday night if the roads are passable. My wife is very happy to be a retired RN right now.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Fontana Dam to Clingmans Dome, and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Texas, Dallas area, update from Thursday 12/22/2022. I was outside at 7:40 am today. policing up the yard from our dog, getting all our trash and recycling to the street for pick-up. I finished and was in at 8. It was 44 degrees and calm. By 8:30 it was 22, lake effect snow (we have a large lake for Dallas water supply a few blocks to our north), with 40 MPH gusting winds. Yes campers, the first Arctic Blue Norther' had blown in. It's been cold all day. We won't be above freezing until late Saturday afternoon.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Texas, Dallas area, update from Thursday 12/22/2022. I was outside at 7:40 am today. policing up the yard from our dog, getting all our trash and recycling to the street for pick-up. I finished and was in at 8. It was 44 degrees and calm. By 8:30 it was 22, lake effect snow (we have a large lake for Dallas water supply a few blocks to our north), with 40 MPH gusting winds. Yes campers, the first Arctic Blue Norther' had blown in. It's been cold all day. We won't be above freezing until late Saturday afternoon.
      Similar here in AR.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • 21:00 it was 45 F and the front was just west of Cincy. By midnight, it was 18 F and the snow was swirling in the 40 mph winds. This morning, it was -6F. We literally were watching the temperature drop every minute or two on the digital weather station. All while playing indoor cornhole with the kids. Best storm evah!

• Texas, Friday morning. 11 degrees around 7 AM. Wind chill is -8. I plugged in my diesel truck at noon on Thursday and at 3 PM went out to start it and go to the gym. Wife took one look at my exposed legs and shook her head. I was pleased that the truck started right up! It's a push button start and I'm used to cool weather, push and get the "Wait to Start". The truck computer decides when to start. But yesterday on the block heater, it just started. Now I didn't have any real heat for 10 minutes of driving. Except for the seat and steering wheel heater. :D

I just looked at the Mt Washington weather. Winds are 100 MPH. It's raining but the bitter cold is probably not far away.
    • hikerboy wrote:

My house is flooded out. High tide hit around 7, I got out of there around 6, but the street was under 2-3 ft of water at hi tide. We lost the water heater, so we won't have heat for a while.
      Anyone who had parked their cars on the street lost them.
      merry christmas.
      Sorry to hear this. Is this on Long Island?
    • hikerboy wrote:

My house is flooded out. High tide hit around 7, I got out of there around 6, but the street was under 2-3 ft of water at hi tide. We lost the water heater, so we won't have heat for a while.
      merry christmas.
      HB, I drove through salt water today, it was deeper than I thought, up to about the top of my tires.
      Luckily my DeVille kept on going, but now I'm thinking this cannot be good for all that wiring.
      I'm afraid my camera may be toast too (salt water again). I took the battery out and I'm letting it dry.

Good luck pumping out the basement and getting the utilities back.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • rhjanes wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

merry christmas.
      Sorry to hear this. Is this on Long Island?
      Yes, south shore of Long Island
      Images
      • Screenshot_20221223_100742_Maps.jpg

97.5 kB, 486×600, viewed 9 times
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

merry christmas.
      Oh goodness! I’m so sorry you have to deal with this on Christmas. I saw the pics of the area and it’s crazy. Hoping for a speedy replacement of the water heater and hope you have a merry Christmas despite this situation.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Looking to finally make it out of single digits and teens this afternoon. Lowest was -1. Coldest sustained few days in my 20 years here.
      Actually made 32 today. :thumbup:
      Broke the single digits today and the forecast is to get above freezing on Tuesday. But not before another 1-3" of snow tomorrow morning.

• Rasty wrote:

Warm and Sunny today in Brasilia, Brazil today. 27°Celsius
      Helps to be on the flip side of the equator this time of year. :thumbup:

I once played Papai Noel (Santa Claus) in Brazil. With the big red suit and white wig and beard, it actually was pretty hot in a church building with no AC.
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Helps to be on the flip side of the equator this time of year. :thumbup:
      I once played Papai Noel (Santa Claus) in Brazil. With the big red suit and white wig and beard, it actually was pretty hot in a church building with no AC.
      It's really nice here, so much better than the redneck riviera
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Helps to be on the flip side of the equator this time of year. :thumbup: I once played Papai Noel (Santa Claus) in Brazil. With the big red suit and white wig and beard, it actually was pretty hot in a church building with no AC.
      It's really nice here, so much better than the redneck riviera
      Some of my fondest memories of my two assignments with my family in Brazil other than the weather, was how fun the people were. Sometimes a little more of a challenge to motivate, but always fun to be around. :thumbup:
    • Warmed up to 50s, but now rain, rain, rain.

Was able to slip away Monday night to complete my last gap in the original 164 miles of the Ozark Highland Trail Tuesday. Will try to catch up on some of trail reports this weekend.
    • Forecast was for possibly 1 - 3" of snow. Woke up to 4". At least 6" on the ground now. And the best part? My son was visiting and he shoveled out the driveway so he could head home later today.