Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm calling "Ice Out" today on Swan Pond. The ice in my cove has been hanging on tenaciously the past two weeks, but > 90% of the pond is now clear.

One of my many regrets is that I did not record all the dates of ice out and similar climate events over the 30 years I have lived here. Still, I think I detect a trend...

“Ice Out”
      2011, April 3
      2014, April 6
      2015, April 12
      2016, February 27
      2017, February 25
      2019, March 22
      2021, March 19
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Just finished a surprisingly chilly walk. It was 80 just a few days ago. Weather guessers say it's going to get into the mid 30s where I live tonight (88 miles from Springer).

If anyone is starting a thru today...they need to be prepared for 28 degrees (18 wind chill) on Springer tonight. Gonna be a sell out night for the hostel owners in Georgia.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Just finished a surprisingly chilly walk. It was 80 just a few days ago. Weather guessers say it's going to get into the mid 30s where I live tonight (88 miles from Springer).

If anyone is starting a thru today...they need to be prepared for 28 degrees (18 wind chill) on Springer tonight. Gonna be a sell out night for the hostel owners in Georgia.
      Should anyone be doing overnights on any part of the trail at anytime if they are not ready for 30 degree nights?

I know I wouldn't

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Just finished a surprisingly chilly walk. It was 80 just a few days ago. Weather guessers say it's going to get into the mid 30s where I live tonight (88 miles from Springer).

Should anyone be doing overnights on any part of the trail at anytime if they are not ready for 30 degree nights?
      I know I wouldn't
      Last summer, in Maine's 100 mile wilderness , one day we woke up to a temperature that was in the 30s and that was in July or August.
    • LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Should anyone be doing overnights on any part of the trail at anytime if they are not ready for 30 degree nights?I know I wouldn't
      Last summer, in Maine's 100 mile wilderness , one day we woke up to a temperature that was in the 30s and that was in July or August.
      Wow, while taking 20* bag for Collegiate Loop at end of July, still planning on just 35* bag for completing NH & ME this summer. Worked in 2016-19 up there. Hopefully not too many nights like that this summer.

Interesting I made it GA to NH in less than 6 years, and now hoping to finish NH & ME in 5 years.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• LIhikers wrote:

That has been my experience LI Hikers, can happen any month of the year.
      That is why my 'Warm weather' kit is rated at 20 degrees, and I use the 0 degree kit in the winter.
      I think our southern friends have been spoiled :)
      I will never bother buying a 40 degree bag, what would I possible use it for?

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That has been my experience LI Hikers, can happen any month of the year.That is why my 'Warm weather' kit is rated at 20 degrees, and I use the 0 degree kit in the winter.
      I think our southern friends have been spoiled :)
      I use a 40 when I stay in the Huts......and a 20 when I go to Montana in July!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That has been my experience LI Hikers, can happen any month of the year.That is why my 'Warm weather' kit is rated at 20 degrees, and I use the 0 degree kit in the winter.I think our southern friends have been spoiled :)
      I use a 40 when I stay in the Huts......and a 20 when I go to Montana in July!
      My 3 season bag is rated at 25. I just unzip it as needed to be comfortable and not too warm.
    • New

odd man out wrote:

warm sunny but very windy on the outer banks. It's odd to drive someplace where there is water in every direction.
      I love the OBX, especially Hatteras and Ocracoke. I've been going there since before I was born, in fact I was conceived on Cape Hatteras.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

we are at Salvo, that little bit of development between Nags head and Hatteras. Very quiet here. We did a trip like this (off season, 4 night house rental) about 25 years ago. Our daughter now lives in Raleigh. We Came down for grand daughter's first birthday. My former exchange student (from Turkmenistan), aunt, and cousins are also in Raleigh. And my sister from UT and son from MI are here next weekend for a mini family reunion.