Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The placed closed after the owner died, but Clem Mikeska's BBQ in Temple, Texas was some mighty fine BBQ ! I have ne er had as good a BBQ meal as that one anywhere.

No plates, butcher paper. You told them if if you wanted brisquet or pork. They put a pound of that on the paper, put a big dollop of potato salad and cole slaw. Then you told them if you wanted iced tea or a soda. They pointed to where the plastic forks were, roll of paper towels on the table.

You paid for the meat, the rest was free.

He could smoke half a steer and two hogs over night. The other end of the BBQ container was were that day's meat had been smoked the night before. Alternating ends for each day's food.

There was a Burger Chef hamburger joint nearby... he sold more BBQ than the burger place sold burgers.

I must need to go eat lunch, my mouth is watering.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Kinda wierd when my NJ weather on Christmas Day is the exact same as Del Rio, Texas.
      ...Del Rio, home of the 2 nd best BBQ in Texas.
      After working in Texas for over 20 years, I am interested where you think the best was?
      I was fortunate to live and travel throughout Texas on a frequent basis and in the past underwent much training in the state.

The problem with naming the best BBQ is even though I've sampled a number of such joints, there's always a place just down the road apiece I've yet to visit.

Rudy's Country Store and BBQ in Leon Springs, TX was the place unit members would gather on a regular basis and to me was the quintessential location for BBQ as it was a family friendly site. Kids had a place in the picnic area to run about while their folks placed a family style BBQ order. Wood smoke from the pits drifted across the oak tree shaded outside dining area whetting one's appetite. And of course, the BBQ served on butcher paper was superb.

However one early morning I was on I-35W traveling NB when the aroma of BBQ wafted through the open truck window. I pulled to the shoulder and looked about. Not a single light was visible to mark the location of the pit. On the return trip, I stopped at a gas station and enquired of a BBQ joint. Folks directed me to the an underpass whereby I found an older gentleman manning a trailer mounted smoker. He spoke of cooking brisket, ribs, chicken, and sausage in the smoker for years under the interstate bridge. He'd fire up the smoker early Friday AM, stoke the firebox with pecan wood, fit a lock and chain for security, and then drive home.

Upon return later in the day, he'd encounter a line of locals parked roadside awaiting their orders. He sold his offerings from Friday afternoon to Sunday noon and usually had little or no food available for folks just passing through as the locals had standing orders. However I was fortunate as he prepared a plate of brisket and refused payment, explaining as I was in uniform he never charged military folks. I enjoyed one of the best plates of BBQ in memory that afternoon sitting in a lawn chair under the overpass listening to his stories

Texas magazine publishes a list of the best BBQ joints in Texas along with several other publications, however the above gentleman to my knowledge never made such a listing. However the respect shown to him by his customers and the dignity he displayed during the three visits I had with him places him far above listings focusing just upon the taste of BBQ.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76 ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

The sun came out for a few minutes. Saw my shadow. Goes that mean I will see winter in a few weeks. In the 60's in So VAMore rain on the way. So much rain last few days I stuck a garden hose in some surface run off & filled both water tanks. 600 gallons of water I don't have to haul up the stream bank! gif.014.gif
      How does that work? Is it like siphoning gas? Are the tanks collapsible, making a closed drainage system?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • our area, North Texas, had like 11 tornado's last night. 8 dead (so far). Today, RAIN. And a front is draped over us here. Rain as in 4 to 6 inches (our lake is already like 7 FEET above level) and like 42 degrees (it was 74 on Christmas day and the same yesterday.....before the front parked on us). So 74 yesterday and 42 today.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • At 0400 today, the temp was 7*F or -14*C.

SAR was out most of the night looking for a lost 14 year old duck hunter. As he kept moving rather than hunkering, he survived the experience rather than succumbing to hypothermia, but this made it difficult to locate him. Searchers were unable to track him as he was in a swampy area which was frozen but cleared of snow in past days by wind.

What was puzzling to me as the weather was clear, the lights of several communities were visible to him to the east. Yet he kept walking south (nearly five miles) towards an area of relative darkness.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • rhjanes wrote:

our area, North Texas, had like 11 tornado's last night. 8 dead (so far). Today, RAIN. And a front is draped over us here. Rain as in 4 to 6 inches (our lake is already like 7 FEET above level) and like 42 degrees (it was 74 on Christmas day and the same yesterday.....before the front parked on us). So 74 yesterday and 42 today.
      That is crazy weather.
      I live close to 600 feet above sea level. (Edit: closer to 700) No way I want to be in flood prone areas.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OzJacko ().

• A few years back on the Ouachita Trail I got closed in on three sides by a Flash Flood. I had to bush wack my way uphill to eventually to get to a road and get out.

Two goods things came of it. It justified in my mind buying a smart phone (for more accurate and up to date weather forecast) and a NeoAir (thorns from the bush wack made holes in my original Therma-Rest that I carried hanging off my pack). :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • OzJacko wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

our area, North Texas, had like 11 tornado's last night. 8 dead (so far). Today, RAIN. And a front is draped over us here. Rain as in 4 to 6 inches (our lake is already like 7 FEET above level) and like 42 degrees (it was 74 on Christmas day and the same yesterday.....before the front parked on us). So 74 yesterday and 42 today.
      That is crazy weather.I live close to 600 feet above sea level. (Edit: closer to 700) No way I want to be in flood prone areas.
      Altitude above sea level wont protect you from flash floods. I'm 600' above sea level. I can still get hit by heavy rain and water flow.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Here's a nice forecast:

Winter Storm Warning remains in effect
      • Sleet and freezing rain will begin around 10 AM and become mostly Freezing Rain by noon.
      • Ice accumulations of one quarter to one half of an inch are possible
      • Strong east winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 to 50 mph are expected
      • Strong winds and icing may lead to widespread power outages.
      • Travel could be dangerous to nearly impossible.
      Oh goody
    • odd man out wrote:

Here's a nice forecast:

• Sleet and freezing rain will begin around 10 AM and become mostly Freezing Rain by noon.
      Oh goody
      Well at least that gives us one more person who shouldn't be complaining about winter not getting here yet. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Here's a nice forecast:

Oh goody
      Well at least that gives us one more person who shouldn't be complaining about winter not getting here yet. :D
      but it's ice not snow - whine whine
    • Just the usual expected for today..... rain, high winds, tornados, warm, trees expected to be down due to the ground being saturated....the knee has healed enough to do limited walking and I wanted to get in a few days deer hunting this year but it doesn't look like the weather will cooperate.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Our hard rains, turned to some snow overnight here in Dallas Texas area. All was melted quick. Now, strong north winds. Blizzard conditions out to the far west (panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma and New Mexico).
      As far as our local lake, it is like 7 feel above normal. But our house is like the highest part of our little village! I'd NOT want to live near it either! At least not close enough to have water in the near-yard. There does happen to be concern in that the silly dam is over 50 years old and has "issues"....... So, the local flooding of the lake for us, no issue. If the dam fails (very unlikely)....won't affect us either.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • odd man out wrote:

Here's a nice forecast:

Oh goody
      don't forget the up to 9 inches of snow in da UP eh?
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Here's a nice forecast:

Oh goody
      9" of snow for an UPer hardly makes her blink.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Here's a nice forecast:

Oh goody
      9" of snow for an UPer hardly makes her blink.
      I believe that's what they refer to as a "dusting".
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Our first snow of the year, here in eastern MA. What it looks like is an inch or two of wet snow. What it feels like is concrete. A square foot of the stuff on the driveway weighs about 10 pounds, no shyte.

We have a wimpy snow blower that definitely cant hack this, so Merry and I cleared the driveway by hand, I mean, with shovels and stuff. Broke a shovel, the crud was that heavy. It was raining the whole time.

Like worst-possible hiking weather: cold rain and sleet, right around freezing. Yuck.