Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rhjanes wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I use the change of season as a reminder to change oil and filter in our vehiclles.
      I have two collector cars and a driven-once-a-week 2008 Mustang Convertible. I change oil and filters in all three at Christmas time (here in Texas, still nice days).
      Two collector cars? Tell us more...
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • CoachLou wrote:

We are getting rain today, first time in over a week.................We got an *ALERT* from town this past weekend. 'Due to the drought conditions, please conserve water in your wells'.............YIKES!!!!! never had to deal with that before. The entire town north of Rt.1/ Boston Post Road is on wells!
      Came home last night and no water, not a drop. My son left a toilet running. :(
      Gave the well a rest overnight and now I've got things up to pressure, but I don't want to push it...

What is that old rhyme?
      "if its yellow, let it mellow, if its brown, flush it down."
      Yup, that is what I'm doing until the rains come. Hoping for a downpour.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Speaking of drought, the fall foliage is turning unnaturally early.

We took a ride in Central Mass this weekend and I was stunned to see the colors already well on their way.
      I have a cabin booked Columbus Day weekend in the White Mountains (in Randolph, NH, next to Gorham) for my annual fall foliage trip with the wife. Columbus Day is usually the peak weekend to be there, but all indications are that it will be well past peakthis year.

Had a friend email me today. She just got back from a trip to the Whites and she says it is peak in northern NH right now. She is afraid that the rain coming this week will knock it all down.

I was in Northern NH two weeks ago, and it was very dry. Some of the rivers were as low as I have ever seen them. Time for some rain.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I use the change of season as a reminder to change oil and filter in our vehiclles.
      I have two collector cars and a driven-once-a-week 2008 Mustang Convertible. I change oil and filters in all three at Christmas time (here in Texas, still nice days).
      Two collector cars? Tell us more...
      1969 Mustang Coupe, 302, auto, air, PDB, no PS (which is why my mom and sister didn't like driving it). Dad bought it around 1971 to drive to the Pentagon. I learned to drive on it, and a 1973 Mazda. Had it ever since. A 1970 Mustang Mach1, 428 Cobra Jet, with Ram Air, auto, air, PS, PDB. One very rare car. I restored it in the early 90's.
      A 2008 Mustang GT Convertible, bought in 2010 and drove it daily for 9 years. Went to replace my 1999 F250 and told the wife I'd trade in the convertible. She said "Keep it also". WOW!!!! She didn't say that the month before we married when I sold "Fang", a 1970 Mercury Cyclone, 429 Cobra Jet. A REAL sleeper, very small badges said "429" and no other hint that it was 400 HP and "good grief" in torque. I used it to tow the mustangs to shows. AFTER I sold it, I walked back in the house to find her holding back a tear that I'd sold it.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • You have the car you learned to drive on? Wow, that is a rare treat. Wish I could say the same, a 1969? or so Ford Country Squire (with the fake wood paneling). There is still something about old family station wagons that make my heart go pitter-patter :)

Years ago my wife made me get rid of my 1972 Chevy short bed PU, one of the the most beautiful trucks ever made. That still irks me.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

You have the car you learned to drive on? Wow, that is a rare treat. Wish I could say the same, a 1969? or so Ford Country Squire (with the fake wood paneling). There is still something about old family station wagons that make my heart go pitter-patter :)

Years ago my wife made me get rid of my 1972 Chevy short bed PU, one of the the most beautiful trucks ever made. That still irks me.
      Some of us were glad to get rid of the car we learned how to drive on. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

You have the car you learned to drive on? Wow, that is a rare treat. Wish I could say the same, a 1969? or so Ford Country Squire (with the fake wood paneling). There is still something about old family station wagons that make my heart go pitter-patter :)

BUMMER on the Short Bed truck! I wasn't even hardly thinking to keep this 08 Convertible when wife said to keep it.

It is neat having the 1969 I learned to drive on. That 1973 Mazda had the rotary motor in it. Small 4-door but MAN could that thing fly! Rev-ed up like crazy with that Wankel scream they did. Total PIA to try and work on it. TWO distributors, one was a duel point, the other a single. The plugs (4, 2 in each rotor) were easy. But getting the timing and those points set.........Lots of hair pulling on that! We drove it into the late 1970s. Decided to let it go before the rotor seals went.
      Another interesting vehicle was a VW 1600 Type 3, I think it was a 1967. Some air force guy had brought it to Texas out of Canada. Dad had just retired (1975) from USAF and picked the car up off the bulletin board out at Carswell AFB. The car was 100 percent written in German. All the specs and such. There was ONE VW shop in Fort Worth who knew what it was and could get parts as EVERYTHING was metric. Even vacuum hoses. It was an interesting shifter. You could sort of "aim" the gear level towards the gear you wanted. Totally opposite of that Mazda where you HAD to be right on or you'd miss the shift.
    • Rhjanes, did that Mazda have a manual choke?

I use to drive my GF's Mazda from that time period and it had a choke. The car was fun to drive, but I would always forget to close the choke and 10 minutes into the drive I would wonder why it was running so badly :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Rhjanes, did that Mazda have a manual choke?

I use to drive my GF's Mazda from that time period and it had a choke. The car was fun to drive, but I would always forget to close the choke and 10 minutes into the drive I would wonder why it was running so badly :)
      I don't remember a manual choke. But I mostly drove the Mustang. We were four drivers with just two cars. I'm thinking I should ask my dad just what it was. 73 or 74 RX2/3/4. Best I remember it was a white, four door sedan, 2 rotor Wankel, 4 speed. I just remember it cornered great, was great fun to shift. I think he traded the 1967 Caddy Sedan DeVille for it. The Caddy was drinking way to much gas, getting too many miles on it, only one small shop had a guy who seemed to be able to keep it running.
    • rhjanes wrote:

That 1973 Mazda had the rotary motor in it. Small 4-door but MAN could that thing fly! Rev-ed up like crazy with that Wankel scream they did. Total PIA to try and work on it. TWO distributors, one was a duel point, the other a single. The plugs (4, 2 in each rotor) were easy. But getting the timing and those points set.........Lots of hair pulling on that! We drove it into the late 1970s. Decided to let it go before the rotor seals went.
      RHJanes, for you...

autoblog.com/2020/10/08/mazda-…r-confirmed/?guccounter=1

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

They must expect a lotta rain tomorrow becasue of the hurricane -- they just closed the City and County Schools tomorrow because of upcoming inclement weather.
      It was the wind! Woke me up at 4:00 am and I stayed up for an hour. Trees really swaying. One neighbor had a tree come down on her house. I head a tree limb hit the roof -- and a second later the cat that was sleeping in that room came running out scared to death. Last night was the not the night to be sleeping in a tent in the woods in Georgia!
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald described vividly the gales on November on the Great Lakes. With amazingly regularity we have a big storm in early November. Today is the day. Maybe we will drive to the Lakeshore for the photo op.

I have Gordon Lighfoot Greatest Hits (something like Gordy's Gold) that I listen to when grading papers. Only regret is is missing that song. Perhaps they felt it was too long.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I really like what Neil Young did with Gordon's song "If You Could Read my Mind." You can hear it hear...

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I appreciate people who cannot sing who sing anyway.... Neil, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen.

By the way, that contraption Neil is singing in is called a "Voice-o-Graph." These were found at carnivals and arcades in the 1940's where you could pop in some coins and it would record your voice by cutting it into cheap vinyl This whole album (A Letter Home) is worth a listen; somehow through the scratchy, cheap recording Neil created a sound that is nostalgic, authentic, and emotional.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald described vividly the gales on November on the Great Lakes. With amazingly regularity we have a big storm in early November. Today is the day. Maybe we will drive to the Lakeshore for the photo op.

I have Gordon Lighfoot Greatest Hits (something like Gordy's Gold) that I listen to when grading papers. Only regret is is missing that song. Perhaps they felt it was too long.
      It was about 38 degrees. Wind coming off the lake probably 50 mph at times. There is still sand in my ear.

• Another musician who didn't have a great voice was Harry Chapin. He lived local to me and we heard him a number of times at local concerts to raise money for local charities. He did 50% of his concerts for free. We were even invited to his backyard BBQs but didn't go. It also was a fund raiser.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I appreciate people who cannot sing who sing anyway.... Neil, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen
      I think it would be better to put it this way: You can be a great singer without having a great voice.
      Louis Armstrong, Fred Astaire, Janis Joplin come to mind along with Scotty's list.

Of course that means you can have a great voice without being a great singer.
      Mariah Carey?

A few have both
      Karen Carpenter, Linda Ronstat

And if you are also a world class instrumentalist, musical prodigy, and visionary, you are in a class of your own
      Aretha, Stevie Wonder.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Speaking of drought, the fall foliage is turning unnaturally early.
      fall foliage has been a few weeks later than usual here. Still looking good but not quite as bright as a wk ago.

As far as the weather, some would say we're having Indian summer this week, temps in the 60's. I think it's just climate change. Intending to get out and take advantage!

I'm a person who definitely agrees about Neil Young's voice. I either fast forward or mute when he's the main vocals on songs from CSNY or Buffalo Springfield.