Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking the Mahoosucs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking the Mahoosucs

I have seen a few questions online and have been asked in person about how to hike the Mahoosucs. After finally completing them, I offer the following opinions. Mind you, this is not the only way. It is just one logical way to combat some of the issues of hiking this area. Also, this plan requires at least 2 cars.

Day 1: Gorham parking area to Trident Col: Meet at Grafton Notch parking area. Leave vehicle(s) there. Drive other vehicle(s) around to the Gorham NH parking area via Bethel. The Success Pond road is shorter, but much slower. Hike over Hayes and Cascade to the Trident Tentsite. If you include the walk down the road from the main parking area, the distance is about 6.8 miles. This distance seem about right considering the time it would take to spot vehicles. The climbs have sporadic rock scrambles and a few short steep ups. Water is scarce, so I would camel up and stock up before heading in. The tentsite is large and free. It has a bear box. The privy is clean. Note: There is a popular Google Map overlay that shows the Mahoosuc Trail as being the 1st part of this day. The main parking area is actually several miles east of that on route 2.

Day 2: Trident Col to Carlo Col: The distance is about 10 miles. There are a lot of little ups and downs. The longest is up Success. There is a plane on the south side of this mountain that is a short blue blaze. The worst scramble down is just before the state line. If you take it slow, this day should be manageable. There are a few water sources that are not noted in the guides. Much of the water is from rills. I would camel up and stock up in the valley between Gentian and Success. The water at Carlo Col is good. There are platforms and a shelter at the campsite. There is a bear box. The privy is not great.

Day 3: Carlo Col to stealth spot just after the Mahoosuc Notch. This distance is only about 7 miles. The hiking is typical Mahoosucs with lots of ups and downs, occasional scrambles, roots, and bogs. The views are great. When you head down Fuller put your sticks away. You won't need them until after you are through the Notch. They will be in the way if you don't stow them. The Notch is a fun playground. It is very slow, but very doable. Water is scarce and not good between Carlo Col and the east side of the Notch. The water at Full Goose Campsite is rusty in color. I would camel up and stock up at Carlo Col. If you need water before your destination, I would only get enough to make it to the good water and the stealth spot. The stealth site is well used and is just after the notch. It gets dark early in this area as Mahoosuc Mt blocks the sun from the west. There are 2 tiers to the site. A large area is on the top tier. A smaller area is down by the stream. There is no privy or bear box.

Day 4: East end of the Mahoosuc Notch to Grafton Notch: This distance is about 7 miles if you don't take the Blue Blazes to Old Speck and the Eye Brow. I recommend doing both. The climb up the Arm is the real obstacle in the Mahoosuc. The good news is the tough part is less than a mile. The bad news is it is very slippery when wet. Water is good at the start, at Speck Pond, near the Eye brow and near the end. It might be good to have a bit extra going up the Arm. You will be sweating. The climb down Old Speck is not as bad as the profile shows. It is steadier than much of the past 3 days. Arrive at the Grafton Notch parking area. Drive around to Gorham via Bethel.

One thing I did not mention was the views. It would make this post way to long. The short of it is if you are at the top of a hill be prepared to say ooh and aah.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Sounds like fun. I almost did this last year but only had three days so went and hiked on the pemi loop instead.

I can offer a 3 day plan opinion. I think you could do it. The short of it is you would stealth at Dream Lake, camp at Full Goose, have a tough day 3.

I won't get to new Hampshire anytime soon. I'm California dreaming for next year if I can get the time off from work.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Sounds like fun. I almost did this last year but only had three days so went and hiked on the pemi loop instead.

I can offer a 3 day plan opinion. I think you could do it. The short of it is you would stealth at Dream Lake, camp at Full Goose, have a tough day 3.

I won't get to new Hampshire anytime soon. I'm California dreaming for next year if I can get the time off from work.

I have digital copies of the JMT Trails Illustrated Maps if you want me to email them to you. I did the PCT through the area which shares a lot of the trail & closely paralels the rest. You will love it!
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I have digital copies of the JMT Trails Illustrated Maps if you want me to email them to you. I did the PCT through the area which shares a lot of the trail & closely paralels the rest. You will love it!

Thanks for the offer. I already downloaded the maps.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123