Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Maine SoBo trip report rated G

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Maine SoBo trip report

LoboSolo wrote:

Some hikers are strange things. I would be happy if there were no shelters. It would weed out a lot of the problem hikers.

shelters totally suck. they don't belong on the AT. they're smelly, dirty boxes that attract UL types and the lazy[/quote]

Fully agree. Which is why I wonder why people freak out when people whittle on them. I think they are not using a big enough tool.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Some hikers are strange things. I would be happy if there were no shelters. It would weed out a lot of the problem hikers.

shelters totally suck. they don't belong on the AT. they're smelly, dirty boxes that attract UL types and the lazy

Fully agree. Which is why I wonder why people freak out when people whittle on them. I think they are not using a big enough tool.[/quote]

have to admit i was happy to have one available (cold springs shelter)during the ice storm, as there really was no safe place to tent.i did manage to go through the smokies without using any shelters at all, and i did stay at a few after a few days of rain this spring.
      i do use the shelters in harriman in the winter, as theyre almost always empty, and have dual fireplaces.
      its all good
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

July 10 (13.9 miles)
      Here is where I will lose the reader.

I finally had a chance to read your trip report, BB, and I have thoroughly enjoyed cyberhiking and checking out the views as posted in your pics. I even cyberswam a few lengths in the pond and man was it refreshing. And I gave you a number of thank you's along the way.

But this post caused me to increase your karma. You did not lose me as a reader. You are a man and gained respect from me.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

Trillium wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

July 10 (13.9 miles)
      Here is where I will lose the reader.

I finally had a chance to read your trip report, BB, and I have thoroughly enjoyed cyberhiking and checking out the views as posted in your pics. I even cyberswam a few lengths in the pond and man was it refreshing. And I gave you a number of thank you's along the way.

But this post caused me to increase your karma. You did not lose me as a reader. You are a man and gained respect from me.

My wife would agree.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

July 11

We decided today would be an easy day. Ellie Luggah's feet were a mess and we were in no hurry. We took in a Blue Blue, picked Blueberries, and enjoyed good company at the best campsite on the Maine AT.

For those who are on a schedule that says get it done as fast as you can, the section between Whitecap and Baxter is the place to do it. We were on no schedule. Such constraints is reason 50 something I will never do a thru.

Today we walked together. This was not the norm. It is uncomfortable to try to match paces. By the time we got to the Bigelows we had it figured out. I would pass him on the ups and he would pass me on the downs. Today was all about relaxing and enjoying the beautiful day.

After the spring and small hill we took the Blue Blaze to the top of Pataywadjo Ridge. This is a Blue Blaze that gets little travel. It was tough to follow in places. The AT is so beaten down that much wildlife avoids it. So many more little creatures live on Blue Blazes. We met a mother partridge that tried to lead us away from her brood. I kept talking to her and telling her I was moving by as fast as I could.

The ridge was covered with Blueberries and had nice views of the lake below. It was only .9 miles up and .9 miles down (well worth the detour). I don't like Blueberries, but helped my partner pick. This would happen several times. We enjoyed the view and relaxed and then pushed on.

As some have gathered, we ended our day at Antlers Campsite. I will not bore by telling the history of the Camp that causes this name. It is worth looking up though. This site is huge with many flat plots that will accommodate many groups of shelters. We were the 1st there and set up on the point. It is hard to describe why this site is so appealing. It had it all. Easy pitching, a great view, good swimming, good fishing, good water source, good fire pit, plenty of fuel for the fire, no bugs, etc.

It did have one problem. This place had spiders in the privy the size of a small mouse. I have never seen such huge spiders. Of course I don't live down south. The privy was new and tolerable (not like many on the trail). But when you opened the door they would scurry like mice into corners.

I caught several smallies, which was fun on my ultralight setup. We swam and relaxed. As evening approached, 4 fun guys in there late 20's early 30's showed up. I loved making campfires and would do so whenever I could. This was a serious matter. I would drag dead trees about 3" in diameter from whatever distance it took until there was enough for a good long fire. These guys joined in on my efforts and we had the best campfire of the entire walk.

I wish I could relay the stories. Some are too blunt and I took my fair share of ribbing. I learned a long time ago that if people are talking to you they are okay with you. It is when they stop talking to you that you should be concerned. If they tease you, it is best to join in on the fun. I have had great fun laughing at myself over the years. Insecure people miss out on this joy. The hilarity began with an innocent question from a guy named Shaun. He asked if we were married. I said yes, but not to each other. That set the stage.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

Wanted to get 2 days in. Stopped back for a second. Have to get a snow blower over to Ma's house. Tomorrow I will have a "name that spot" photo. HB, you are not allowed to answer. I know you will recognize it. You have "stood in that exact spot".

I will put the photo up now so I can tell the story tomorrow.

Name that spot.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Wanted to get 2 days in. Stopped back for a second. Have to get a snow blower over to Ma's house. Tomorrow I will have a "name that spot" photo. HB, you are not allowed to answer. I know you will recognize it. You have "stood in that exact spot".

Name that spot.
      surreal.
      its all good
    • Maine SoBo trip report

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Name that spot.
      mountainview pond?

No. And I mean it this time. :woohoo:
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Name that spot.
      mountainview pond?

No. And I mean it this time. :woohoo:
      I'd put it on a paypal account, make em earn it. :lol:
    • Maine SoBo trip report

July 12

Before getting into this day a few details are in order. My hiking partner is an early riser. I am an aware sleeper. When I hear his tent zipper, I pull the valve on my air mattress. This leads into a few terms we were learning. The deflating of mattresses is called hiker's alarm clock. Whatever time you retire is hiker's midnight. And standing in the smoke of a campfire is putting on hiker deodorant.

This day was another short day. We were on the trail by 7 and done walking by 11:30. In retrospect we could have pushed on and should have. We walked only 8.3 miles and took one Blue Blaze to a beautiful Pond. Again, we walked together until we were off the Blue Blaze again. But I am getting ahead of myself.

The Blue Blaze was a 0.2 mile sidestep to Cooper Pond. So much scenery is missed in the name of getting there. Cooper Pond has a nice view of Jo-Mary Mountain as a backdrop. I have posted a picture of this stop and will again for reference. I rock hopped out to the rock behind the large boulder in the picture. From there I caught some more Smallmouth Bass. When I had enough, I realized that hopping back would not be possible. The launching area from one rock was no good for as landing area. I had no choice but to wade to shore. After arriving back on the AT, I told my partner to head on ahead and I would change stockings. His feet were still a mess and this would allow him a head start.

I took my time changing stockings and drying my feet. About 15 minutes had passed when I started walking again. It took about 2 miles to overtake Ellie Luggah again. Perhaps I should explain his trail name at this point. My sister collects elephant ad nauseum. It is unbelievable how many of these things she has. So, when it came time to pick an avatar to lug, the choice was obvious. It had to be an "Ellie". And since he is from Maine, he became Ellie Luggah (lugger). Only a few hundred yards before overtaking Ellie Luggah and shortly after crossing Jo-Mary road I jumped a very large deer with bright white spots. It was odd how large this thing was considering it still had spots.

We walked together again until Cooper Brook Lean-to. This walk is very easy. We should have pushed on to Mountain View Pond or the East Branch Lean-to, but Cooper Brook was a nice spot and we were in no hurry. We went swimming again and I fished again. As the day progressed this campsite got very crowded. My appetite was but with a vengeance. This would be our last lazy day until Monson.