Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whiskey Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Costco has a deal on Scotch.

I'd probably drop it.

scontent.fatl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net…429b284878bd7&oe=601790E9
      I'm surprised they trust the kid at the register with that.
      I had some friends who after a fine dinner decided to treat themselves to a shot of Louis XIII. The girl behind the bar was new and instead of pouring them a $150 shot, she poured them a full glass. I understand the next day she almost lost her job. And before you say it, yes they knew better and what they did was not right.
      I had lunch at a local French restaurant a while back and they had Château Lafite Rothschild by the glass for a couple hundred dollars. I thought it would be the only way I may get to try that (but I didn't). This place actually just hired a new chef who won a Jame Beard award for best chef in the midwest. Looking forward to going back once they open up again.
    • Well hot damn! I just received notification that I won the right to purchase a bottle of W.L. Weller Single Barrel through the Ohio's Bourbon Lottery.

And on an unrelated note, I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean over Labor Day. The premise of Ocean is that the constant movement of an ocean vessel translates into the bourbon stored in a barrel that is in the cargo hold. The typical bourbon barrel is only occasionally rotated during the aging process. Sloshing around inside the barrel with every crest and trough sounds like it should add more flavor to the raw liquor.

The price for a bottle? $80. ;( Was it worth it? Smoothest bourbon I ever tasted. I will buy a bottle every year for my birthday. And maybe an occasional special occasion. That first bottle didn't last long.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Max Patch to Carter Notch NH
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Well hot damn! I just received notification that I won the right to purchase a bottle of W.L. Weller Single Barrel through the Ohio's Bourbon Lottery.

And on an unrelated note, I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean over Labor Day. The premise of Ocean is that the constant movement of an ocean vessel translates into the bourbon stored in a barrel that is in the cargo hold. The typical bourbon barrel is only occasionally rotated during the aging process. Sloshing around inside the barrel with every crest and trough sounds like it should add more flavor to the raw liquor.

The price for a bottle? $80. ;( Was it worth it? Smoothest bourbon I ever tasted. I will buy a bottle every year for my birthday. And maybe an occasional special occasion. That first bottle didn't last long.
      My son-in-law if a certified bourbon snob. He speaks very highly of Weller. How much are they asking for that? I think I also recall reading an article about the Ocean aged bourbon.

As a bourbon novice, I go the the best bourbon money can buy (if you are spending less than $30 !). The "hot" bourbon these days in this category seem to be Buffalo Trace. I tried it several years ago and liked it. That was before it was all hip and trendy and they had a giant pile of bottles on display at the liquor store. Now you find only empty shelves in the BT section, with signs that say "Limit One Per Customer", which is a joke as your are really limited to zero per customer. But a few weeks ago I was at the local grocery store (which generally has a pretty crappy selection of liquor) and miraculously there was a lone bottle of BT on the shelf, which I of course snatched up. It's the only one I've seen in a few years.
    • odd man out wrote:

I had lunch at a local French restaurant a while back and they had Château Lafite Rothschild by the glass for a couple hundred dollars. I thought it would be the only way I may get to try that (but I didn't). This place actually just hired a new chef who won a Jame Beard award for best chef in the midwest. Looking forward to going back once they open up again.
      Best chef in the midwest has to be the guy at Tony Packo's Cafe.
      2,000 miler
    • Weller is a Buffalo Trace brand. I like the Eagle Rare, but can't find it. The BT regular stuff is often on the shelves with "1 per customer", which is fine as I don't drink it that often. Thankfully all the Scotch stuff I like is easy to find.
      The BT brands, are ALL good so far as I've been able to try.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Anybody tried Screwball? It's a 70 proof peanut whiskey. I like it. The clerk at the store says to mix it with chocolate vodka for a Reese's taste or strawberry vodka for a PB and J.
      I am trying to think of a beverage description I would find less appealing....
      ...Nothing is coming to mind.
      I was leary of it and first bought just a mini "airplane" bottle. This afternoon I poured about a half shot in my Dunkin iced coffee with cream and sugar and it was delicious.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

I love the taste of peanut butter and always put PB2 in my protein shakes…bet I’d love the peanut butter bourbon (when my taste comes back).

I think there’s a saying, “Stupid is thinking you’ll have a different result the second time” (or something like that). A few weeks ago, I tried Scotch again and it still tasted like glue. Blech.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • New

Traffic Jam wrote:

I love the taste of peanut butter and always put PB2 in my protein shakes…bet I’d love the peanut butter bourbon (when my taste comes back).

I think there’s a saying, “Stupid is thinking you’ll have a different result the second time” (or something like that). A few weeks ago, I tried Scotch again and it still tasted like glue. Blech.
      There are several foods I don't like but try every now and then to see if I still don't like them (mussels, okra, eggplant, come to mind).
    • New

odd man out wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

There are several foods I don't like but try every now and then to see if I still don't like them (mussels, okra, eggplant, come to mind).
      Okra is great, as long as deep fry it in enough batter. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

odd man out wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Well hot damn! I just received notification that I won the right to purchase a bottle of W.L. Weller Single Barrel through the Ohio's Bourbon Lottery.

My son-in-law if a certified bourbon snob. He speaks very highly of Weller. How much are they asking for that? I think I also recall reading an article about the Ocean aged bourbon.
      As a bourbon novice, I go the the best bourbon money can buy (if you are spending less than $30 !). The "hot" bourbon these days in this category seem to be Buffalo Trace. I tried it several years ago and liked it. That was before it was all hip and trendy and they had a giant pile of bottles on display at the liquor store. Now you find only empty shelves in the BT section, with signs that say "Limit One Per Customer", which is a joke as your are really limited to zero per customer. But a few weeks ago I was at the local grocery store (which generally has a pretty crappy selection of liquor) and miraculously there was a lone bottle of BT on the shelf, which I of course snatched up. It's the only one I've seen in a few years.
      $50 for the bottle of Weller Single Barrel. But my retailer tried to disenfranchise me from purchasing it. I had to show my driver's license and provide a signature. ;)

EDIT: I just saw that some folks are offering to sell the Weller Single Barrel 750 ml bottle for over $1K! I think I'll save it for my retirement date.

Eagle Rare has really become Eagle RARE.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Max Patch to Carter Notch NH

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• New

Traffic Jam wrote:

I've also tried to like Scotch. Both times it tasted like gasoline.Yuk
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference