Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whiskey Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Tried Benromach single malt Scotch whiskey.

Blech, tastes like glue.
      That's because it's Scotch. I've yet to try one that I like, that's why I stick to good old Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey
      yes...but a friend shared her very old, very expensive scotch when we were watching the sunset on Mt Le
      Conte and it was amazing, so I know that some scotch isn’t terrible! :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Yesterday I got a bottle of Wilderness Trail Single Barrel Bourbon as a gift from my son in law (born and raised in KY). Having some tonight in an Old Fashioned. I'm do expert. I thought it tasted a little camely. Since it's called Wilderness Trail, can I also post this in the I Went for a Walk Today thread?. Maybe I'll get some Wild Turkey and post it in the Wildlife Sightings thread.
      Hmmmm....I’ve never tasted a camel. :)
      oops, that's carmely. Now there is a drink popular in Turkmenistan called chall made from fermented camel's milk, but I don't suppose that qualifies as whiskey.
    • A few new items I picked up last trip to TW&S....I made an earlier comment about the Glenfettich not being that good...I retract that, first glass I put ice in it, mistake, drank straight it is nice. The cocnac was outstanding!...TJ you must try and reeiw, I believe you will like it, it's now my favorite pairing with a cigar. I heard a guy ask a worker where the jalapeno tequila was, that caught my ear and I chased after them expecting a pepper instead of a worm in the bottle, was not so, just flavoring so I did not try, but the guy looking for it highly recommended this as a sipping tequila, verdict is still out on it for me but at this point I'd say it's no better than, if as good, as Jose Cuervo...it does have a cork if that means anything.
      Images
      • 001.jpg

152.97 kB, 800×450, viewed 703 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Tried Benromach single malt Scotch whiskey.

Blech, tastes like glue.
      That's because it's Scotch. I've yet to try one that I like, that's why I stick to good old Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey
      yes...but a friend shared her very old, very expensive scotch when we were watching the sunset on Mt LeConte and it was amazing, so I know that some scotch isn’t terrible! :)
      Swamp water would taste great with that view.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Price was OK. Aftertaste had me switching from neat to mixed with Coke Zero after one drink. Larceny wasn't grand.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Picked up two new additions to the bourbon cellar yesterday from my PA State Store. First is a Wild Turkey Barrel Proof 116.8 proof.

Poured it over my whiskey wedge just as my wife and I started to put the lights on the Christmas tree, so my first sip was after a bit of ice had melted. Good stuff at a reasonable price point.

My quest this week is to explore the bourbon offerings around Cincinnati and see if I can find anything new and exciting. Next week, I'll cross the Ohio River and check out the Kentucky offerings.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Picked up two new additions to the bourbon cellar yesterday from my PA State Store. First is a Wild Turkey Barrel Proof 116.8 proof.

Poured it over my whiskey wedge just as my wife and I started to put the lights on the Christmas tree, so my first sip was after a bit of ice had melted. Good stuff at a reasonable price point.

My quest this week is to explore the bourbon offerings around Cincinnati and see if I can find anything new and exciting. Next week, I'll cross the Ohio River and check out the Kentucky offerings.
      Kentucky Bourbon Trail

kybourbontrail.com/map/
    • As the Wild Turkey in the decanter is consumed, I need to pick the next sipper.

The Knob Creek was the 2nd addition from my local PA State Store back in early December. The Weller was a limited on-line release that I happen to find and order before it was sold out. And the Russell's was my first purchase from The Party Source in Bellvue KY. An easy 30-minute drive from my new office.

I already finished the first bottle of the Wellers (max order of 2) and it was a real treat.

The New Year is looking very promising!

• rhjanes wrote:

Be careful with the Knob Creek. Note the 120 proof..... I didn't notice that on my first taste.....I think I burned some of dinner, but for some reason I can't remember.
      Yeah...it's similar to the Elijah Craig Single Barrel. Patience is required so that a little bit of ice melts before the first sip.

• Saw this in The Party Source in Bellvue KY on sale for $33. It will be sampled next week. A blend of 27% 2-year old wheated bourbon and 73% 9-year old rye bourbon. Normal retail was $55 so I figured the sale price made it worth a chance.

Edit: Poured myself a glass Sunday evening and I'll pour another before I go to bed. At $55, I'd be a little disappointed. At $33, I'm happy that I took a shot on Contradiction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• I’ve been ruined! Utterly ruined. A friend shared her Aberlour 12 year, single malt scotch whiskey while on Mt. LeConte and it was wonderful.

I recently bought a bottle, just to see if it was the location and company that made it taste so good or if it was truly that wonderful. It is truly that wonderful and has ruined me for cheap bourbon.

I pour a small amount and take my first taste, then add a small amount of cold water (about 20%) after getting that initial burst of flavor. Oh my!
    • I've discovered the Rob Roy and really like it. It's basically a whiskey Martini. 1.5 oz of whiskey and 5/6 oz sweet vermouth over rocks and stirred. I made mine with some single barrel Evan Williams and Martini and Rossi vermouth. So wickedly smooth.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've discovered the Rob Roy and really like it. It's basically a whiskey Martini. 1.5 oz of whiskey and 5/6 oz sweet vermouth over rocks and stirred. I made mine with some single barrel Evan Williams and Martini and Rossi vermouth. So wickedly smooth.
      I think if you look it up, you will find that you made Manhatten. A Rob Roy is the same thing made with Scotch. Either way, they are very good.
    • Working from the Ohio house this week, so it was a good time to visit my favorite booze store in Kentucky.

A friend has been looking for the Stillhouse Black so I grabbed two for him and one for me. The New Riff Distillery shares the parking lot with the booze store, so I figured it was time to sample their bottled-in-bond offering. And I'm a screwball, so why not try some peanut butter whiskey?
      Images
      • 20201115_131518.jpg

138.59 kB, 800×600, viewed 249 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

peanut butter whiskey? I hope it tastes better than it sounds.
      thats the same thing I was thinking. :)
      My hiking buddy Slingshot has been drinking that peanut butter whiskey- he really likes it. I didn't try it, I stuck to my special edition Evan Williams.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The peanut butter whiskey is a good after-dinner sipper. I like it. Wouldn't want to pour a large glass or try to mix it with anything. But a surprising winner.

Next up is the Stillhouse Black, which spends time resting in coffee beans after it is aged in oak barrels. Bourbon in a turpentine can...

• I could get used to this bachelor life. Cobble together a quick dinner, then pour the next bourbon for a taste test. My liver (and my cholesterol level) will be better off once I get back to Mrs. Tortoise at the end of the week.

The Stillhouse Black was more gimmick than smooth drinking bourbon. The stainless steel container and lid is cool - you would definitely impress your hiking friends as you passed it around at the end of the day. A bit more burn than I'm used to for a $25 bourbon, but the hints of coffee flavor after the burn subsided were pleasant. Now that I have a source, I'll probably keep a can in reserve for my next motorcycle trip.

Onto the New Riff...

Just finished my first sip and it's a pleasant drink. Unpretentious, smooth, and enjoyable straight up. I'm guessing New Riff is the northernmost Kentucky distillery since it is on the southern bank of the Ohio River across from Cincinnati. My new hometown Bourbon. Still good after the third sip. And the fourth. :thumbup:

• Mrs. Tortoise sampled the Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey and liked it. A lot. Shoulda bought the big bottle.

I'm going to mix it with apple cider this evening to see how that works. Haven't had a peanut butter apple in years.

• I've been enjoying Old Ezra 7 by Lux Row Distillers. The first taste is spicy. Then it becomes mellow and smooth in the mouth, like caramel, and finishes with peppery spice in the throat. I just mixed some with apple cider and it's delicious.

The peanut butter bourbon sounds intriguing...anything with peanut butter is usually good.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I've been enjoying Old Ezra 7 by Lux Row Distillers. The first taste is spicy. Then it becomes mellow and smooth in the mouth, like caramel, and finishes with peppery spice in the throat. I just mixed some with apple cider and it's delicious.

The peanut butter bourbon sounds intriguing...anything with peanut butter is usually good.
      Oooooo carmel tasting whiskey with apple cider sounds wonderful on a fall day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

Costco has a deal on Scotch.

I'd probably drop it.

scontent.fatl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net…429b284878bd7&oe=601790E9
      I'm surprised they trust the kid at the register with that.

I had some friends who after a fine dinner decided to treat themselves to a shot of Louis XIII. The girl behind the bar was new and instead of pouring them a $150 shot, she poured them a full glass. I understand the next day she almost lost her job. And before you say it, yes they knew better and what they did was not right.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier