Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

the football thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Looks like the third time wasn't the charm.

I'm guessing the Bengals will focus on offensive lineman in the draft and free agency signings.

As the Eagles fans are fond of saying... "Wait 'til NEXT year!"
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Jim Carrey's "Cable Guy" commercial was a success. I couldn't get on the Verizon website until this morning -- it was slammed with people attempting to get info about their home 5G internet. And after all that they don't serve my area yet. I'm (hopefully) kicking Comcast/Xfinity to the curb.
      2,000 miler
    • i was surprised and disappointed to see the refs finally decide to show up in the last 1:28 of the game. They had even blown a facemask on the Bengals TD, but more than made up for it at the end. I saw more flags in the last 2 minutes than the united nations.
      -One of the best super bowl games ever
      -Commercials were lousy.
      -Halftime show was great. I don't care for rap, but Mary J Blige and Eminem really lit it up (and apparently so did Snoop Dog before the game)
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

-Halftime show was great.
      Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog opened with the song "Smoke Weed Everyday". Not only did they avoid singing the title lyric, they had to remove the MF phrase from just about every verse. Not to mention repeated use of the dreaded N-word. First line of the first verse: "Da da da da da, it's the motherf*c#!n'' D-O-double G." Another classic line: "Bitch shut your trap."

If the NFL really wanted to celebrate rap and hip-hop music, why did they require the lyrics to be sanitized? Rhetorical question, as NBC would have received record fines from the FCC and mainstream America would be asking "Why are they celebrating drug use during the Super Bowl Halftime Show?"

So yeah... I didn't consider it to be a great halftime show. Pandering.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog opened with the song "Smoke Weed Everyday". Not only did they avoid singing the title lyric, they had to remove the MF phrase from just about every verse. Not to mention repeated use of the dreaded N-word. First line of the first verse: "Da da da da da, it's the motherf*c#!n'' D-O-double G." Another classic line: "Bitch shut your trap."
      If the NFL really wanted to celebrate rap and hip-hop music, why did they require the lyrics to be sanitized? Rhetorical question, as NBC would have received record fines from the FCC and mainstream America would be asking "Why are they celebrating drug use during the Super Bowl Halftime Show?"

"celebrating drug use" is a bit of a stretch, given the amount of alcohol advertising. Although for some reason, alcohol isn't considered by many to be a drug, and one that destroys more lives and families than all other drugs combined.The drug they're "celebrating" is marijuana.
      Being that the legalization of marijuana is continuing to progress in many states, and possibly federally, maybe it IS a reason to celebrate.
      As far as the "pandering", the NFL had laid down the guidelines to these guys in advance. remarkably, almost all of the criticism of the halftime show has come from white guys.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog opened with the song "Smoke Weed Everyday". Not only did they avoid singing the title lyric, they had to remove the MF phrase from just about every verse. Not to mention repeated use of the dreaded N-word. First line of the first verse: "Da da da da da, it's the motherf*c#!n'' D-O-double G." Another classic line: "Bitch shut your trap."If the NFL really wanted to celebrate rap and hip-hop music, why did they require the lyrics to be sanitized? Rhetorical question, as NBC would have received record fines from the FCC and mainstream America would be asking "Why are they celebrating drug use during the Super Bowl Halftime Show?"

"celebrating drug use" is a bit of a stretch, given the amount of alcohol advertising. Although for some reason, alcohol isn't considered by many to be a drug, and one that destroys more lives and families than all other drugs combined.The drug they're "celebrating" is marijuana. Being that the legalization of marijuana is continuing to progress in many states, and possibly federally, maybe it IS a reason to celebrate.
      As far as the "pandering", the NFL had laid down the guidelines to these guys in advance. remarkably, almost all of the criticism of the halftime show has come from white guys.
      Smoking weed every day would have disqualified me from my last three jobs and my CCW permit. So there's that. :saint:

I have Dre, Snoop, Kendrick and Marshall in my music library. I think the halftime show sucked because it was scrubbed clean, not because I'm a white guy. Now if Dre and Snoop stuck it to the man by dropping a few f-bombs in the set... :thumbsup:

• No surprise that Cincinnati had the highest Super Bowl local viewing rating, but lookie at number 2. :)

#SuperBowl local market ratings:
      1. Cincinnati 46.1/84
      2. Detroit 45.9/79
      3. Pittsburgh 45.6/74
      4. Columbus 45.4/80
      5. Kansas City 44.6/76
      6. Milwaukee 44/75
      7. Cleveland 44/78
      8. Boston 42.6/74
      9. Philadelphia 42.3/71
      10. Jacksonville 41.3/73
      Not in top 10: Los Angeles 36.7/77

LA was number 26.

What the numbers mean: Cincinnati had a 46.1 rating/84 share, meaning 46.1 percent of all households in Cincinnati were watching Super Bowl LVI, and 84 percent of people who were watching TV were watching the Super Bowl.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

No surprise that Cincinnati had the highest Super Bowl local viewing rating, but lookie at number 2. :)

#SuperBowl local market ratings:
      1. Cincinnati 46.1/84
      2. Detroit 45.9/79
      3. Pittsburgh 45.6/74
      4. Columbus 45.4/80
      5. Kansas City 44.6/76
      6. Milwaukee 44/75
      7. Cleveland 44/78
      8. Boston 42.6/74
      9. Philadelphia 42.3/71
      10. Jacksonville 41.3/73
      Not in top 10: Los Angeles 36.7/77

LA was number 26.

What the numbers mean: Cincinnati had a 46.1 rating/84 share, meaning 46.1 percent of all households in Cincinnati were watching Super Bowl LVI, and 84 percent of people who were watching TV were watching the Super Bowl.
      I would assume Louisville might be too small a market for those rankings.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • If Jaden Rashada (who???) got $9.5 million to play amateur sports :) one wonders how much Texas paid Arch Manning.

<snip>

Quarterback recruit Jaden Rashada is apparently going to get paid quite handsomely as he joins the Miami Hurricanes football program.

Jeremy Crabtree of On3 reported the 4-star prospect and No. 7 quarterback in the class of 2023, per 247Sports' composite rankings, agreed to a $9.5 million name, image and likeness deal with Miami booster John Ruiz and also turned down an $11 million offer from Florida's Gator Collective.
      2,000 miler
    • 6 games.

Will the NFL appeal? We'll know in 3 days.

6 days works out to $350k in lost wages if my memory and mental math is correct. Calvin Ridley of the Falcons was caught gambling $1,500 on the Falcons to win and he gets suspended the entire 2022 season and will lose $11 million in lost wages.

Oh yeah. Watson sat out the entire year last year. He continued to get paid -- $10 million. Nice work if you can get it.
      2,000 miler
    • Ah....the Dallas Cowboys. 27 years I think since even an appearance in the final 4? Same old this year. The local DFW sports casters declared The 'Boys as Super Bowl champs when they all caught the charter flights to training camp. First actual game....Defense was the only reason it wasn't a total blow out. Several key players, including the QB are now hurt and not back anytime soon. Offense took the day off and it was everything they ever dreamed it could be (Remember the movie Office Space?). And those sport casters....there isn't but two weeks of the year that The 'Boys aren't one of their talking points.

I guess other cities with NFL teams are much the same.....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • max.patch wrote:

The NFL changed the Pro Bowl to flag football. Cobb County started playing flag football a couple years ago as a high school sport.

For girls.
      It and the NBA has become a nothing event. The players are NOT going to risk getting injured. Defense? What's that? Just score points so people cheer, T-shirts, beer and overpriced food is sold. It's just to make money.
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The NFL changed the Pro Bowl to flag football. Cobb County started playing flag football a couple years ago as a high school sport.

For girls.
      It and the NBA has become a nothing event. The players are NOT going to risk getting injured. Defense? What's that? Just score points so people cheer, T-shirts, beer and overpriced food is sold. It's just to make money.
      I love basketball -- played, coached, and reffed my whole life -- but I haven't watched the all star game since my boys left the house. It's unwatchable.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

For girls.
      I love basketball -- played, coached, and reffed my whole life -- but I haven't watched the all star game since my boys left the house. It's unwatchable.
      Doubt I watched one since I attended the one in the Astrodome in 1989.
      Fun watching Karl Malone and Tom Chambers run the court with John Stockton.
    • The Bengals and their fans are having one helluva January. First the January 2nd Damar Hamlin cardiac arrest and eventual recovery. The fans and the city showed an amazing level of support for Damar and the Bills organization.

Then the potential for a coin-flip to determine the location of the 1st round playoff game. Nope - Bengals won in Week 18 and eliminated the need. Fans got a home field playoff game.

Then the trip to Buffalo for the second round. Would the cancellation of the January 2nd game and eventual #3 seeding lead to a road loss and "What if?" questions on the cancellation? Nope. Bengals went to Buffalo and took care of business. Add in the entire 'neutral site' fiasco and it was an eventful weekend.

So now things are back to normal. There is no dispute that the Chiefs are the #1 seed and Cincy has no issues with traveling to Kansas City for the AFC Championship game (again).

Fun time to be living in Cincinnati. We're relevant! gif.014.gif finger.gif gif.014.gif finger.gif gif.014.gif

• Meanwhile in Dallas......

Same ol' issues. Thin depth of players. Questionable game time management.
      And the Owner/GM. I think I'm skipping the sports for the remainder of the month. "Well you see....today....and the players....um....the playbooks.......and it should be that......um......so by next year.......then.......um......so.....the team support.......of the players.....and we continue........to um, um.....Coaches".
      But no denying, he's a brilliant business man.
    • rhjanes wrote:

Meanwhile in Dallas......

And the Owner/GM. I think I'm skipping the sports for the remainder of the month. "Well you see....today....and the players....um....the playbooks.......and it should be that......um......so by next year.......then.......um......so.....the team support.......of the players.....and we continue........to um, um.....Coaches".
      That last play gave us all something to laugh about.
      2,000 miler
    • rhjanes wrote:

Not long until "pitchers and catchers report". Favorite phase in the winter, followed by "play ball in the spring". 8)
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Not long until "pitchers and catchers report". Favorite phase in the winter, followed by "play ball in the spring". 8)
      Here in the DFW area, some TV Sport Casters talk Da'Boys year round.....every night broadcast. "We spoke with someone at the Cowboys Front Office and on the condition of anonymity, they have confirmed that X has returned from his family vacation to the Caribbean. We also have it on good authority that the equipment management team has completed polishing all the helmets. We've run out of time to report the score of the baseball team....Rangers. Back to you!".
    • rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

having grown up in DC in the '70s, I pretty much route for any team that's playing against Dallas.
      We lived outside DC from 1971 thru 1975. I went to 3 years HS at West Springfield HS. Good times. The Washington Colanders were pretty good.
      I graduated from High Point HS in '77. That's about the same distance from central DC as West Springfield, but in the opposite direction.
    • odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

having grown up in DC in the '70s, I pretty much route for any team that's playing against Dallas.
      We lived outside DC from 1971 thru 1975. I went to 3 years HS at West Springfield HS. Good times. The Washington Colanders were pretty good.
      I graduated from High Point HS in '77. That's about the same distance from central DC as West Springfield, but in the opposite direction.
      Small world. :)