Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cuben Food Bags, Rock Sacks, and Ditty Bags-

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cuben Food Bags, Rock Sacks, and Ditty Bags-

TrainWreck wrote:

The food bag/stuff sack/rock bag combo, if you can find enough folks to go in a second time and get your materials at the same cost.
      Otherwise, just let me know when you've got the material and can squeeze in another order.

JJ, per my mail message I would like to part of the next order (or what you have left) too.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

TrainWreck wrote:

The food bag/stuff sack/rock bag combo, if you can find enough folks to go in a second time and get your materials at the same cost.
      Otherwise, just let me know when you've got the material and can squeeze in another order.

TW, Astro wants one too, and Rasty wants something, so let's wait a little bit and see if anyone else wants anything and then I'll see what the material will run and I'll let everyone know what the cost will be and if everyone is ok at that point I'll place the order. Thanks!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Cuben Food Bags, Rock Sacks, and Ditty Bags-

jimmyjam wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

TW, Astro wants one too, and Rasty wants something, so let's wait a little bit and see if anyone else wants anything and then I'll see what the material will run and I'll let everyone know what the cost will be and if everyone is ok at that point I'll place the order. Thanks!

Sounds good to me. Thanks JJ
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

After months of research & development ( just kidding but there was a lot of trial & error) I present to you the BirdBrain Wallet. It weighs in at a whopping 2 g on my scale. Just a simple thing with two card pockets, one bill pocket and a grossgrain loop to attach a leash.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

After months of research & development ( just kidding but there was a lot of trial & error) I present to you the BirdBrain Wallet. It weighs in at a whopping 2 g on my scale. Just a simple thing with two card pockets, one bill pocket and a grossgrain loop to attach a leash.

Does it come with a Lincoln?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

TJ, they will get softer with use. Cuben is sort of like tyvek in that it starts out stiff and noisy but gets softer with use. I have made an improvement in the rock sack- i have added a loop to put the caribiner through rather than hooking it to the pull string. I will drop the new version in the mail to you in a day or two. That little draw cord may break throwing it over limbs. It didn't occur to me until a few days ago.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Just returned from the Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros game. My husband opened the mailbox and said that he thought my sacks had arrived. Yup. Yay!

LOVE the bear bags! I will use one for food and the other for clothes. I see the improvement to the rock sack with the addition of the grosgrain ribbon loop on the side for hooking the caribiner to. Great idea.

The workmanship on the bags is top notch. Can't wait to start using them.

Although I am having nervous tingling and anxiousness because of my Mom's health situation. This morning when we picked up my Dad to take him to the baseball game, she was not doing well at all. This afternoon she seemed to have perked up a little. I am not sure if I should leave at this point (on Monday after Mother's Day). I wish I had a crystal ball to know what I should do. I will have to pray on it.

Trillium wrote:

Just returned from the Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros game. My husband opened the mailbox and said that he thought my sacks had arrived. Yup. Yay!

LOVE the bear bags! I will use one for food and the other for clothes. I see the improvement to the rock sack with the addition of the grosgrain ribbon loop on the side for hooking the caribiner to. Great idea.

Although I am having nervous tingling and anxiousness because of my Mom's health situation. This morning when we picked up my Dad to take him to the baseball game, she was not doing well at all. This afternoon she seemed to have perked up a little. I am not sure if I should leave at this point (on Monday after Mother's Day). I wish I had a crystal ball to know what I should do. I will have to pray on it.

That's a tough situation. I hope you find the clarity you need to make a decision. I'm sure you've heard it but I'll say it again...the southern way..the trail ain't goin' nowhere. :)
      Lost in the right direction.

Trillium wrote:

I am glad you like the bags. I am sorry to hear that your mom is not well. It is tough when one's parents are ill. My prayers are with you.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TJ, they will get softer with use. Cuben is sort of like tyvek in that it starts out stiff and noisy but gets softer with use. I have made an improvement in the rock sack- i have added a loop to put the caribiner through rather than hooking it to the pull string. I will drop the new version in the mail to you in a day or two. That little draw cord may break throwing it over limbs. It didn't occur to me until a few days ago.

Thanks but it's not necessary to send me another one, I'll adapt. You have a line of people waiting for your bags so save your cuben for them. :)
      Lost in the right direction.

AnotherKevin wrote:

Any idea how much these are going to run? They look like sweet bags, and I'd kinda like to warn my wife of unexpected Paypal charges. :)

Well they cost me a little more than expected, so I'm thinking along the lines of $30-35 for the Bear Bag, small stuff sack, and a rock sack- taxes and shipping included.I think this is still a good deal as it would probably be $50 elsewhere It's been costing me around $5 per set for the bubble mailer, postage and tracking.

Wallets will be in around $12 including shipping as I can put them in a regular envelope.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Ready already???
      Dang that was fast :lol: :lol:

I wish. Dumb auto spell on my phone.

You can edit here for Free. We don't charge for features that are included in the software! gif.001
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

jimmyjam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Any idea how much these are going to run? They look like sweet bags, and I'd kinda like to warn my wife of unexpected Paypal charges. :)

Well they cost me a little more than expected, so I'm thinking along the lines of $30-35 for the Bear Bag, small stuff sack, and a rock sack- taxes and shipping included.I think this is still a good deal as it would probably be $50 elsewhere It's been costing me around $5 per set for the bubble mailer, postage and tracking.

Wallets will be in around $12 including shipping as I can put them in a regular envelope.

I'm in for a wallet if it is still possible... Sent you a PM...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Toli,

I'll make you one and PM you when it's ready. I have ordered some material, so it will be next weekend before I am able to fill most orders. I have a very small amount of material on hand at the moment. Thanks everyone for all the interest.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Is that cuben stuff waterproof?
      I'm thinking of a pair of rain mittens that would fit over a pair of gloves.
      I don't even know if it would be durable enough to use with hiking poles.
      Just thinking out loud.

Of course that would get complicated...different people, with different size hands, with different thicknesses of gloves. Cancel that thought.

LIhikers wrote:

Is that cuben stuff waterproof?
      I'm thinking of a pair of rain mittens that would fit over a pair of gloves.
      I don't even know if it would be durable enough to use with hiking poles.
      Just thinking out loud.

Of course that would get complicated...different people, with different size hands, with different thicknesses of gloves. Cancel that thought.

Cuben is waterproof and would make great rain mittens. There it's multiple thicknesses if the cuben cloth for different applications.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123