Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

jug end rd to race brook falls and back

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jug end rd to race brook falls and back

so thursday morning i leave my house at 5:30am to beat the rush hour traffic over the throgs neck bridge, as im getting on the southern state parkway entrance ramp, the traffic report says theres an accident at exit 13 with 3 lanes closed as i stare through the windshield at a sea of brake lights in front of me, and too late to detour. by the time i got past the accident i was in the middle of the morning rush , took me over an hour and a half just to get into the bronx. hit some more traffic on the hutchinson pkwy , but finally let out as i got on 684 north, took it to the end, and drove north on 22, a beautiful country highway that passes through pawling and runs by farmland and ranches. didnt end up getting to jug end until 10am, what should have taken 2 1/2 hrs tops. i pull into the turnout, and as im getting my kit together a car pulls in 20 ft away, a lady comes out, we exchange brief "mornin!"s, and she heads off on the trail with a day pack. i finish fiddling with my gear, lock up the car and head down the trail after her. about 5 minutes later i catch up to her by a huge moss covered boulder where she had stopped to rest for a second. i said hi again, she looked at me said "you look familiar, any chance you're on whiteblaze?"I'm hikerboy, i said.she laughed."i thought so. i dont post much but i loved the cafe and enjoy reading your stuff. i'm susiecruise!" susiescruise,i said, i know you! we laughed, she asked where i was headed, told her sages ravine. she agreed it was a magical place . she lives up there in the area, and hikes that stretch pretty regularly. we chatted a bit more and then we both headed up the jug. 15 or 2 minutes later i looked back and she was gone.
      its all good

the weather was a cool blowing mist with temps in the upper 40s, the stretch of trail absolutely beautiful, filled with hemlocks, pine and spruce with forests of mountain laurel lining the rocky pine needle strewn trail. got to the hemlocks shelter, it was almost noon, so i stopped and made a cup of soup had some crackers and cheese, and got water.
      i headed up mt everett and started coming across some icy patches on the steeper sections, some of which ran for 20 or 30 ft, and i had to carefully negotiate a route up, picking my steps carefully as everything was wet, the ice super slick as it was mild out, and i was very concious that i hadnt seen anyone all day and i better be careful. i slipped a few times, but didnt fall.as i got close to the summit the wind picked up to 20-25 knots so i didnt linger at the top, kept going to get down out of the elements.coming down the south side of everett is steep, and i had to negotiate a lot of ice again, so by the time i got to race brook, it was close to 3pm and i still had 5 miles to go to get to sages ravine.
      its all good

as it was still perfect hypothermia weather and i had a long exposed walk over race mtn , knew that i wouldnt get to the site till after dark, which in sages ravine could come as early as 4 o clock. so i decided to just stay at race brook. the next day, the forecast was for more rain with temps falling throughout the day, so rather than have an epic on my hands, remembering all the ice that had given me problems, i was glad to have made the decision, and looked for a place to pitch my tent. there were a number of platforms, but the lightheart solong does best on dirt. i finally found a nice spot, and in a few minutes, i had my camp made.had a cup of chicken noodle soup to take away the chill. i hung out with pepe for a little while, went and fetched some more water for the night, dinner was mtn house lasagna, followed by a small plastic cup of diced peaches in syrup. it was now 6pm and it was pitch black. as i was in a deep fog, from both pepe and the fog, even the headlamp didnt do too much to see very far, so before too long, i settled into my tent.
      its all good

with hiker midnight coming a little too early for my liking, i was glad to have brought my i thingy(really its a droid)and i had a strong signal. spoke to couch lou and rasty, and happened to have the good fortune to be able to log on to the cafe in time for the memorable introduction of trail legend,marine, and self proclaimed fucking prick, lobosolo, as well as the ensuing arrival of shmaymom.this entertained me till i finally decided id had enough for the day and went to sleep around nine.
      its all good

i awoke the next morning at daybreak,saw on my i thingy(really a droid) the temperature ws 49 degrees. got out of my tent to see it was a bit clearer than the day before, and although it had rained most of the night, it had stopped for the moment. i pulled up the radar map on my ithingy(really a droid) and saw a break in the front, but another one moving in with ice and snow behind it.
      i decided to just have a quick pop tart while i packed up camp, as i wanted to get over everett befor the nasty weather arrived, as it was forecast to turn colder throughout the day. the mild temps and the overnight rain hada melted most of the remaining ice, and i only had a couple of short pitches on the north side that were a bit dicey, but nowhere near what i had to deal with the day before. i got to hemlocks shelter around 9am and decided to hang ther. make some breakfast and chill for a while, as i only had a few more miles back to the car, mostly downhill, so i was in no hurry.
      i love that stretch. coach next time , if its a bit nicer, i promise i'll take some pictures.
      i got back to my car around 12, drove south and stopped at mcdonalds for 2 bacon mcdoubles and a large chocolate shake. while im eating, i check my ithingy(really a droid), check the cafe, thn take a look and see whats going on at wb. i see a thread called "why mcdonalds?" and it was started by none other than susiecruise!!

hit more traffic on the way through the city, but i got home a little after 4pm. all in all it was a nice trip. the weather wasnt the best for views, but the terrain is challenging, i got a good workout, and in the middle of a place i can only describe as enchanted.
      its all good

CoachLou wrote:

Joe, near Pine Swamp Shelter....90ish

Wow, there is suppose to be a pic here. I have not been able to post pics all day.....which is why I have no avatar today......hummm?

I've just tried too coach, I can't load any pics either. They might be working on something. I'm not gonna fool around with the avatar.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

So how steep is the Jug End descent if you're heading nobo? I have a friend who busted his *** going down it. He described it as pretty steep and rocky. As bad as St. Johns Ledges?
      no way. its not bad at all,and its only a couple hundred feet.

Seriously? Well, that's a relief. I was dreading that section. I got off the trail at Guilders Pond at the end of my last section hike because I didn't want to face Jug End at the end of my last day.

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

So how steep is the Jug End descent if you're heading nobo? I have a friend who busted his *** going down it. He described it as pretty steep and rocky. As bad as St. Johns Ledges?
      no way. its not bad at all,and its only a couple hundred feet.

Seriously? Well, that's a relief. I was dreading that section. I got off the trail at Guilders Pond at the end of my last section hike because I didn't want to face Jug End at the end of my last day.

St. Johns Ledges is all that! .......but Jug End is nice. If your south bound, right when you really need a a break, viola...you come to the rocks, with a nice sit and view! :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

I met a hiker last summer at the top of Jug end. Twigs was on his way down when we had a chat. He had knee issues and was going to meet a friend at rt 7 to go into town for a brace. I always wondered how he made out. Can you believe I carried a knee brace with me for the rest of the summer just in case