Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

Bug deterrents:

Some soak themselves in Deet. I do not like that idea. I don't want to start a fight so I will hold back on what I think of that stuff. Some carry a bug net and wear long sleeves and pants. Okay idea, I guess.

I soak my clothes in permethrin and carry no bug dope. I took some into the 100-mile-wilderness and left it behind in Monson. If you read my SoBo report you will notice me teasing other people struggling with bugs. It was comical watching people burying themselves in clothes and drenching themselves in Deet and freaking out about black flies anyways. I had no such issues. I saw no ticks in a month of walking in to Maine woods and did not have to think about being chewed up and did not carry extra junk.

One more tip on this: Get a exofficio bandana soaked in permethrin. You should have a bandana anyways. I worn it around my neck when the bugs were thick. I worn it like little red riding hood when they were real bad. I had to blow the cloud away from my face every so often as I walked. Other people were doing a rain dance trying to get away from them while I giggled under my breath.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

I don't seem to be tipping you heavy weights over yet. I obviously am not trying hard enough. Perhaps this will draw some ire. This is a way to save 5 grams. There is no need to have a pull cord for each gutter nail. One endless loop will suffice. The loop can be made with a square knot. I made mine with 2 slip knots. If a nail is stubborn, use this loop as shown.

Hey don't get me wrong I've been trying to lighten the load over the past 3 years.....I'm just not not going to take something I know i need just 'cause of weight. I do like the spike idea. I do carry 4 of the Ti hooks, found another in Harriman, January. I will go to the hardware store for 3 spikes (in a pinch the hooch would need 8 ), if I like it, I'll replace the hooks with the spikes.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I don't seem to be tipping you heavy weights over yet. I obviously am not trying hard enough. Perhaps this will draw some ire. This is a way to save 5 grams. There is no need to have a pull cord for each gutter nail. One endless loop will suffice. The loop can be made with a square knot. I made mine with 2 slip knots. If a nail is stubborn, use this loop as shown.

Speechless?

I am curious: How many people here have ever used an emergency fire starter in an "emergency"? I think this is another item that people plan way too much for. I used a couple last year, but they were at the end of my walk just to see how they worked.

These ones are made by taking a square of TP, folding it in 3rds, daubing it with Vaseline as you go, rolling it tightly around a strike anywhere match, and dipping in wax. I take a couple with me and hope they are never used.

Many use "emergency" fire starters to start camp fires. I do not. I have a devious plan to use other people's heavy fire starting devices. After I set up camp, I spend the next hour gathering enough wood to have a very long campfire. Next, I gather tinder. By the time it is ready to light, I normally have help. When it is ready to light, I let someone else light it. I announce that I have done my part. People love to play with fire. I let them.

BirdBrain wrote:

I am curious: How many people here have ever used an emergency fire starter in an "emergency"? I think this is another item that people plan way too much for. I used a couple last year, but they were at the end of my walk just to see how they worked.

These ones are made by taking a square of TP, folding it in 3rds, daubing it with Vaseline as you go, rolling it tightly around a strike anywhere match, and dipping in wax. I take a couple with me and hope they are never used.

Many use "emergency" fire starters to start camp fires. I do not. I have a devious plan to use other people's heavy fire starting devices. After I set up camp, I spend the next hour gathering enough wood to have a very long campfire. Next, I gather tinder. By the time it is ready to light, I normally have help. When it is ready to light, I let someone else light it. I announce that I have done my part. People love to play with fire. I let them.
      i very rarely build a fire if im camping alone. i do keep a tuft of cotton from a vitamin jar in my "first aid"kit, and hand sanitizer has alcohol in it, ignites easy. i carry stormproof matches that'll stay lit if you put it in a glass f water. i think theres magnesium in them or something. if im thinking i'll need to build a fire that night, i'll start keeping an eye out for good tinder material,and birch bark if its available, which burns wet. i used to carry one of those magnesium blocks,but it only dulled my blade.fritos are also a great firestarter.
      its all good

For emergency fire starters I keep a good old fashion book of matches in a small zip lock baggie. I still have a few I've collected over the years when every restaurant gave them out at the hostess station. Don't seem them much anymore. I think I currently am packing the book from the Russian Tea Room in Manhattan.

Will go to the stove forum next

My choice for a headlamp is to not bring a headlamp. Light emitting above your eyes is not an ideal angle. Many attach their headlamp to their midsection if they are going to hike at night. I do not hike at night. A have a free hand when I need a light at night. I do not like to rely on batteries or carry the extra weight. The last time I wound this critter up was last August. I turned it on just now. It is as bright as ever. It is also 68 grams lighter than the most popular headlamp (with its requisite 3 AAA) in the headlamp thread.

I was going to post this over there, but felt my invisible shock collar go off.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Coghlan-27s-Dynamo-Flashlight/dp/B00CHHEDB6

Alright folks. Stop laughing. I am sensitive.
    • Re:Re: Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If I can get up the nerve, I want to post my gear list this week and try to lose some weight. My winter kit is about 25lbs and not comfortable for me. Summer is about 20-22 lbs.
      you're fine

HB always says it simpler than I do. I will say it complicated. You are the best judge of what works for you. I love to post ideas and kid. However, what works for me will not necessarily be good for you or anyone else. I boldly post gram saving ideas because of the opinions of those that think it is silly to count grams. If anyone can gain (lose) from it, that is a bonus.

On a selfish note, I love to see other people's setups. That way I can steal their ideas and call them my own.

TrafficJam wrote:

If I can get up the nerve, I want to post my gear list this week and try to lose some weight. My winter kit is about 25lbs and not comfortable for me. Summer is about 20-22 lbs.

I can only dream of those kinds of weights.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

you're fine

HB always says it simpler than I do. I will say it complicated. You are the best judge of what works for you. I love to post ideas and kid. However, what works for me will not necessarily be good for you or anyone else. I boldly post gram saving ideas because of the opinions of those that think it is silly to count grams. If anyone can gain (lose) from it, that is a bonus.

On a selfish note, I love to see other people's setups. That way I can steal their ideas and call them my own.

I doubt you'll want to steal any of my ideas. I can't change the big 4 but most of the rest is negotiable. Mainly I want ideas on what I can change/leave behind. I've already decided to give up my pillow and Kindle :ohmy:
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

you're fine

I doubt you'll want to steal any of my ideas. I can't change the big 4 but most of the rest is negotiable. Mainly I want ideas on what I can change/leave behind. I've already decided to give up my pillow and Kindle :ohmy:

Leaving things behind is the easiest way to save weight. Often it is the worst way. I seek a different path. I look for the absolute lightest functional way I can take the things that will help me on the trail. Some things are just silly to carry. Some things are silly to leave behind. Each has to seek their own comfort level. I am posting my ideas in hopes other people will have better ideas and hopefully some will benefit others.

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Well if you didn't carry 3L of wine! ;) Some things are just nonnegotiable.

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Well if didn't carry 3L of wine! ;) Some things are just nonnegotiable.

bourbon is lighter per buzz
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Is that 22# before food water and wine?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

a half ounce weight only a half ounce
      its all good

Often when I am on the trail, I look at a piece of gear and ask why am I carrying this? Does it serve any purpose at all? Stuff sacks fall into this category for me.

Example: Stuff sack for sleeping bag. What possible good benefit does this item serve? If you stuff a sleeping bag in a stuff sack you have created a hard object. You can even turn it into a bowling ball if you put it in an even heavier compression sack. There are too many odd shapes in your pack already. I forgo the stuff sack and let the sleeping bag absorb all the odd shapes in my pack. It goes in my trash bag backpack liner 1st. Odd ball shaped items go in next. I go one further. I leave my air mattress (exped ul7) in my sleeping bag (Big Agnes bags have a sleeve for that). That makes 2 useless items I can leave behind.

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

a half ounce weight only a half ounce

Wow! .....................

jimmyjam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

No

I don't carry wine.

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

you're fine

In the business world we call that "leveraging" instead of "stealing". ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

No

I don't carry wine.

To clarify, total with food and water is 22lbs. If I go over, I take out food.

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Well if you didn't carry 3L of wine! ;) Some things are just nonnegotiable.

I guess I'm not in that bad of shape. My winter set-up with 4 days food and 2 1/2 liters of water, all the chargers, batteries, etc. Everything, is 36lbs. My scuba backpack makes me appreciate it. It's over 70lbs. That God I only have to walk down the beach less than a 1/2 mile in most cases or better yet just jump off a boat.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

No

I don't carry wine.

To clarify, total with food and water is 22lbs. If I go over, I take out food.

22# with food and water is pretty good . Mine is 13.9 before food and water. So i am about 24 with 3days food and 2liters water. Oh and 4oz bourbon . Lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference