Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Just turned over 6000 miles on my bike :thumbup:
      Wow! I don't have a clue how many miles I've ridden, my odometer broke nearly two years ago. It's not close to 6,000 though. That's a lot of miles.

That's over the last three years too. Funny thing is I didn't commute any this winter cause I didn't want to deal with our icey cold days. I got to feeling like a lard a$$.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Wow! I don't have a clue how many miles I've ridden, my odometer broke nearly two years ago. It's not close to 6,000 though. That's a lot of miles.
      That's over the last three years too. Funny thing is I didn't commute any this winter cause I didn't want to deal with our icey cold days. I got to feeling like a lard a$$.
      I've become a baby about the cold. Until this winter, I rode if it was above 35*. Lately my criteria has been closer to 50*.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I've become a baby about the cold. Until this winter, I rode if it was above 35*. Lately my criteria has been closer to 50*.

My criteria became can I comfortably wear shorts. I got tired of feeling like I'd burned my lungs breathing in cold air.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife, Kathy, is talking about wanting to try a recumbent bicycle.
      Anybody here have experience with one and maybe some insight and advice for her?
      Suggest she try prior to the buy. Folks I know love recumbents, but extra weight and mechanical complexity are cons.

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I tossed the bike computer when it failed after a downpour. However as I usually go thru a set of tires at least annually, my monthly mileage keeps me in reasonable shape.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I saw this unusual, recumbent bike today at a cycling event. It's called a high racer and has 700c wheels. The rider had rave reviews but said hills are more difficult because he can't ride out of saddle and pump with his body weight. He said having extra, low gears is a must.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

301.2 kB, 800×600, viewed 264 times
    • I was at Terrapin Creek Outfitters looking at boats and saw a funny looking bike like I'd never seen before, much longer with a lot of "saddle bags", belonged to one of the guys working there, he would leave for 6 months or so and take a ride, he also put in on Terrapin Creek (small creek in NE AL) and paddled to Key West, I asked what type kayak was used and he said he used a canoe, had a skirt over it like a kayak to keep ocean waves out and could carry a large load...portaging dams had to be hell, the first dam he came to he caught a bass fisherman coming out and he hauled he boat around the dam...I believe he said it was an 8 month trip.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I saw this unusual, recumbent bike today at a cycling event. It's called a high racer and has 700c wheels. The rider had rave reviews but said hills are more difficult because he can't ride out of saddle and pump with his body weight. He said having extra, low gears is a must.
      I put a couple hundred miles on such a bike on a three day trip a while back. He's right about the need for lowered gearing for hill climbs. I didn't get comfortable on the bike, as I didn't adjust the bike's components to fit. However I felt less impacted by headwinds.

It's heavier than a traditional diamond frame and is tough to transport unless using a pickup.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I saw this unusual, recumbent bike today at a cycling event. It's called a high racer and has 700c wheels. The rider had rave reviews but said hills are more difficult because he can't ride out of saddle and pump with his body weight. He said having extra, low gears is a must.
      I put a couple hundred miles on such a bike on a three day trip a while back. He's right about the need for lowered gearing for hill climbs. I didn't get comfortable on the bike, as I didn't adjust the bike's components to fit. However I felt less impacted by headwinds.
      It's heavier than a traditional diamond frame and is tough to transport unless using a pickup.
      I have problems with my frame too because it's so small. It won't fit on a carrier with two bottle cages.
      And I can only use a short water bottle so have to carry an extra in my shirt pocket. I've been thinking about a handle-bar mounted cage.
    • Any one going to be in the Cheaha Challenge on May 15, 2016 ? I don't do races, but I was curious if anyone of you would be at Cheaha SP that weekend.

I was thinking of hiking there on Saturday morning or afternoon... depending on how crowded the park is.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.

The post was edited 2 times, last by JimBlue: info, corection to date, May 15, not 8th. ().

• My relatives think the park will be crowded on the roads, but the trails will be mostly empty. So I guess I need to get up there this coming week and reserve a spot. I don't want to be climbing a hill to go to the restroom or showers. Particularly after doing some minimal hiking. After I get some endurance up, that wont bother me so much. Hopefully I can work on my endurance between now and then.

Ooops ! And its May 15, 2016. No idea why I keep thinking its the previous weekend to what it actually is.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well, it seems Kathy has given up on the idea of a recumbent and is now thinking of a "normal" bicycle with an internally geared hub.
      I have ridden three-speed internal geared hubs, both Shimano and Sturmey Archer. The available gear ratios are typically 3/4, 1:1, and 4/3. The overall range of 16:9 is slightly less than the 2:1 range of a typical 5 cog freewheel with 14, 17, 20, 24, and 28 tooth sprockets, but the difference between adjacent gears is almost twice as big. After riding a ten-speed and being able to pick just the right gear, I would not want to go back. Racers use a combination of front and rear shifting for even finer adjustment.

A mountain bike with three chain rings will have a much larger range between lowest and highest gears, something I would strongly recommend for hilly or mountainous areas.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I put a couple hundred miles on such a bike on a three day trip a while back. He's right about the need for lowered gearing for hill climbs. I didn't get comfortable on the bike, as I didn't adjust the bike's components to fit. However I felt less impacted by headwinds.It's heavier than a traditional diamond frame and is tough to transport unless using a pickup.
      I have problems with my frame too because it's so small. It won't fit on a carrier with two bottle cages.And I can only use a short water bottle so have to carry an extra in my shirt pocket. I've been thinking about a handle-bar mounted cage.
      Many of the road bicyclists in this area utilize a seat mounted two H2O bottle carrier. Claims are less wind resistance.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Well, it seems Kathy has given up on the idea of a recumbent and is now thinking of a "normal" bicycle with an internally geared hub.
      I have ridden three-speed internal geared hubs, both Shimano and Sturmey Archer. The available gear ratios are typically 3/4, 1:1, and 4/3. The overall range of 16:9 is slightly less than the 2:1 range of a typical 5 cog freewheel with 14, 17, 20, 24, and 28 tooth sprockets, but the difference between adjacent gears is almost twice as big. After riding a ten-speed and being able to pick just the right gear, I would not want to go back. Racers use a combination of front and rear shifting for even finer adjustment.
      A mountain bike with three chain rings will have a much larger range between lowest and highest gears, something I would strongly recommend for hilly or mountainous areas.
      I've put many miles on a road bike equipped with a Rohloff 14 speed hub. It's well engineered, durable, smooth shifting, but is not owner friendly regarding maintenance.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Kathy's now looking at a Trek with an 8 speed internal hub.
      She rides as a matter of transportation on an almost daily basis and most trips are less than 10 miles.
      That, plus the fact there are few steep hills, makes the need for many gears less than in most places.
      The bike's got the Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub, dic brakes, fenders, and rack as well as integrated lights with a battery pack.
      You can see it here trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/c…ync/lync-5/p/1395000-2016
      I hope to get her to our local Trek dealer next week because he'll fit her for the right size frame, stem, and neck so she's got a ride that's as comfortable as can be.

• I was Jonesing soooo bad when I saw these girls rolling down the C&O/AT last July..........................I went so far as to look longingly at my Trek in the rafters of the garage, when I got home.

........but, for you DIY bikers.......I have a second touring frame, I took that down from the rafters and am contemplating making it a Mtn. Touring bike, suitable for touring with packs on Rail trails
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• I've hiked the C+O, as well as the Great Allegheny Passage, and saw every kind of bike using these trails.
      My recommendation would be to have a sturdy set of wheels built accommodating the widest tires that will fit in the frame.
      Then use a fairly low gearing so you can keep going over the roots, ruts and mud.
      Racks and fenders front and rear would round out a good rail trail bike.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've hiked the C+O, as well as the Great Allegheny Passage, and saw every kind of bike using these trails.
      My recommendation would be to have a sturdy set of wheels built accommodating the widest tires that will fit in the frame.
      Then use a fairly low gearing so you can keep going over the roots, ruts and mud.
      Racks and fenders front and rear would round out a good rail trail bike.
      Paul, you are discribing just what I had in mind.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy's now looking at a Trek with an 8 speed internal hub.
      She rides as a matter of transportation on an almost daily basis and most trips are less than 10 miles.
      That, plus the fact there are few steep hills, makes the need for many gears less than in most places.
      The bike's good t the Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub, dic brakes, fenders, and rack as well as integrated lights with a battery pack.
      You can see it here trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/c…ync/lync-5/p/1395000-2016
      I hope to get her to our local Trek dealer next week because he'll fit her for the right size frame, stem, and neck so she's got a ride that's as comfortable as can be.
      interesting a bike designed for commuters comes only in black. However the belt drive is interesting, as even with regular maintaining I need to replace the chain once a year on the mountain bike. I like the integrated lighting system but wonder on the availability and cost of replacement of the rechargeable battery. I'm not seeing a quick release axle set. A commuter bicyclist need not be forced to carry wrenches in the event of a tire failure.

Are the reflector looking devices visible on the frame actual lighting units? As I frequently park my bike on a university campus, experience prompts me to remove lighting units to avoid loss.

I'm still awaiting a knowledgeable response from bike shop folks on the advantage of hydraulic disc brakes vs. mechanical. After hearing one vocalize upon greater clamping ability, my reply usually entails braking ability is dependant upon friction between road surface and the tire, not how quickly or the amount of force generated upon the rotor. Even though I now have a bike equipped with disc brakes, I'm still a fan of rim brakes for road side repair simplicity.

If you get the bike, hope she enjoys it for years. An easy to ride and well fitted bike equals more frequent commuting.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Lets talk RAGBRAI!

I made the trek to Iowa last July for my first RAGBRAI. If you've ever had an interest in doing a 7-day ride where food and beverages are available every 10 - 15 miles, RAGBRAI is for you. Here's a summary of the week to give y'all a taste. We did a self-supported trip with three of us taking turns driving the sag wagon so I did not ride the full route. But having our own vehicle meant that we could drive 30 miles from the finish town to find a room with A/C, showers and porcelain (indoor plumbing).

Friday before - Up at 04:00 for the drive from Central PA to my uncle's place in Davenport IA. Beers by the pool then beers with dinner.

Saturday before - Pack up the van and drive from Davenport to Sioux City, the 2015 start point. Find a cheap motel, dip the rear tire in the Missouri, visit the Expo, drink beer, initiation onto Team Bone. Possible El Chapo sighting in the bar of a Mexican Restaurant.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-dQzdFFx/0/L/20150718_184301-1-L.jpg]

Day 1. 80.4 miles from our motel to Storm Lake. Each of the 5 towns that the ride passes through each day has a carnival atmosphere. Park bike, find the beer garden or Bloody Mary bar, have a piece of pie, then ride to the next one.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-fPq4DRf/0/L/20150719_104459-L.jpg]

We camped in a park adjacent to Storm Lake for Day 1. Tem Bone arranged motel / hotel rooms for the remaining nights.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-S4C68WK/0/L/RIMG0226-L.jpg]

Day 2. Only 42.4 miles for me as it was my turn to drive the sag wagon in the afternoon.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-JHMkbLp/1/L/RIMG0249-L.jpg]

Two of my favorite sights each day:
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-gjR7Bjx/0/L/RIMG0256-L.jpg]
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-XdrxSC6/0/L/20150720_122038-L.jpg]

Day 3. 47.6 miles as I drove the sag wagon in the afternoon again.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-V6shRs2/0/L/RIMG0276-L.jpg]

Day 4. 67.8 miles from Eldora to Cedar Falls.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-xvLxKtz/0/L/20150722_101905-L.jpg]

Day 5. 31.4 miles - drove the sag wagon in the morning.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-7mJmz9f/1/L/RIMG0308-L.jpg]

Day 6. 30.5 miles - drove the sag wagon in the afternoon.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-Msmkd9K/0/L/20150724_102510-L.jpg]

Day 7. 74 miles from Coralville to Davenport. The Iowa State Police estimated more than 20,000 riders on this final day. Here's me and my crazy Uncle Bob.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-wM6VTFx/0/L/20150725_074735-L.jpg]
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-39rc3Pc/0/L/20150725_152122-L.jpg]

My old but trusty Raleigh that took me 350+ miles.
      [IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-HQmNmrV/0/L/20150725_163655-L.jpg]

I'm looking to do RAGBRAI with my son after he turns 21. I'd say that it's not all about the beer, but my best memories were of sitting in the shade sipping on a cold craft beer, then riding to the next town and finding a dive bar with a Bloody Mary.

[IMG:https://fauster.smugmug.com/Travel/RAGBRAI-2015/i-zmgPnhG/0/L/20150723_112249-L.jpg]
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • The only part I didn't like was when I got an early start and there were riders from (road) shoulder to shoulder, riding shoulder-to-shoulder. There were a lot of folks that weren't used to riding in tight formations and I saw more than a few broken collarbones.

The solution? Start late, spend extra time in the first town for breakfast and hit the first beer tent. That thins out the crowd significantly. I didn't take any pictures of the 2x20 pace lines doing 25+ mph as I was focused on the surrounding riders.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

The only part I didn't like was when I got an early start and there were riders from (road) shoulder to shoulder, riding shoulder-to-shoulder. There were a lot of folks that weren't used to riding in tight formations and I saw more than a few broken collarbones.

The solution? Start late, spend extra time in the first town for breakfast and hit the first beer tent. That thins out the crowd significantly. I didn't take any pictures of the 2x20 pace lines doing 25+ mph as I was focused on the surrounding riders.
      I once rode the 5 Borough Bike Tour of New York City. I'll never do it again! There are literally millions of riders and most of them have no idea of how to ride in a group, let alone a crowd. There are sooo many crashes that the organizers have EMTs riding bikes, mixed into the crowd.

On the other hand, my wife Kathy and I used to go to the GEAR rallies that bicycle clubs used to put on back in the days of The League Of American Wheelmen. Those were a lot of fun and most people were cycling enthusiasts and knew what they were doing. Those rallies were more like the ALDA Gathering but with a cycling focus.
    • Did my first, long ride of the season today. I rode one of my favorite routes, Coulters bridge in Walland, TN to Tremont Institute in the Smokies and back. It's fun because there are relatively few hills. The last 4 miles was rough, my butt hurt so bad I thought about walking the rest of the way.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Did my first, long ride of the season today. I rode one of my favorite routes, Coulters bridge in Walland, TN to Tremont Institute in the Smokies and back. It's fun because there are relatively few hills. The last 4 miles was rough, my butt hurt so bad I thought about walking the rest of the way.
      That's the problem I have, the legs can go forever but the butt can take only so much.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tortoise, what was your cycling experience/fitness before going to RAGBRAI?
      Good question. I've participated in a bunch of MS 150 rides so a full day in the saddle didn't scare me. My uncle and his riding buddies were all looking to have at least 1000 miles in the saddle before the event. I was hoping for 300 - 500 miles and a bunch of 25-mile days. It didn't happen. Still, my area of Central PA is nothing but hills, so my 15-mile rides were a good workout. And I rode almost all of my training rides on my mountain bike with knobby tires, so switching to the hybrid bike and skinny tires felt like I lost 50 pounds. I have the same saddle on both bikes so my butt didn't know the difference.

When I met up with the members of Team Bone, they were shocked to find out that my longest training ride was 17 miles. They politely explained to me how I should expect to ride half of the first day then look for the sag wagon. When I pedaled into camp after 80 miles with a smile on my face, they realized 15 miles of PA hills are as good as 50 miles of rolling Iowa terrain.

Bottom line: The butt was conditioned, the legs were strong, and I've previously knocked out a century ride so I knew I had the stamina. RAGBRAI is a just a bunch of 15-mile rides separated by beer and pie.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tortoise, what was your cycling experience/fitness before going to RAGBRAI?
      Good question. I've participated in a bunch of MS 150 rides so a full day in the saddle didn't scare me. My uncle and his riding buddies were all looking to have at least 1000 miles in the saddle before the event. I was hoping for 300 - 500 miles and a bunch of 25-mile days. It didn't happen. Still, my area of Central PA is nothing but hills, so my 15-mile rides were a good workout. And I rode almost all of my training rides on my mountain bike with knobby tires, so switching to the hybrid bike and skinny tires felt like I lost 50 pounds. I have the same saddle on both bikes so my butt didn't know the difference.
      When I met up with the members of Team Bone, they were shocked to find out that my longest training ride was 17 miles. They politely explained to me how I should expect to ride half of the first day then look for the sag wagon. When I pedaled into camp after 80 miles with a smile on my face, they realized 15 miles of PA hills are as good as 50 miles of rolling Iowa terrain.

Bottom line: The butt was conditioned, the legs were strong, and I've previously knocked out a century ride so I knew I had the stamina. RAGBRAI is a just a bunch of 15-mile rides separated by beer and pie.
      It's also hilly where I live and often wonder how far (and how fast) I could ride if the roads were flatter. I'm so used to bursts of very hard work going uphill then getting a nice rest when I coast downhill...doing sustained/continuous riding on a level surface might be really hard.
    • max.patch wrote:

ikea is coming out with a bicycle this fall.

article doesn't say if the bike comes in a flat box and if ya gotta put the whole thing together yourself. :)

news.com.au/lifestyle/home/out…=website&utm_content=link
      I can lace a wheel if I wheelie have to, but I would rather leave that job to a professional. I laced a freewheel hub into a 20-inch wheel in the late 80s.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does