Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My wife's bike needed a couple of new chain rings.
      My LBS (local bike shop) told me he had a a hard time finding plain old school chanirings.
      Now I have Kathy considering new bicycles. I'm thinking of going back in time for a commuter bike for her, a bike with a 3 speed, internally geared hub. And then a second bicycle, something like the Sorley Long Haul Trucker for longer rides.
      Then my touring bike is due for a major servicing. I just wish I had more time to ride :(
      I think FeralBill has a Surly. I got a new chain this week, and new front brakes. The bike is riding very smooth.
      Yep, commute on it daily, happily. The Cross Check frame has semi-horizontal dropouts, allowing internal gears without a tensioner.
    • It's been an unusually dry, unusually warm summer in Alaska thus far. I haven't actually managed to do any significant hiking so far but we did take the bikes out over the weekend with some friends. It's always funny to me when I tell people that I suck at mountain biking (not self deprecation, just an honest assessment of my abilities) and they say "Oh, don't worry, me too" and then look horrified at my creeping pace. ;)

My husband is probably a shade short of expert and has been spending the majority of his outdoor time of late at the downhill park that is actually the ski resort during the winter. I would die just trying to get on my bike at the top, so I usually just find a comfortable spot at the bottom with my camera and my kindle and enjoy some solitude.

However, Saturday, he decided we were going to go biking with another couple. We went to a local park in Anchorage and rode what is deemed an intermediate level trail named Middle Earth. Not unlike Frodo's journey, I too experienced some magical sights (giant moose with a giant antler rack, gorging on a tree and completely ignoring us) and some perils (single track with grass and plants on either side at least eight feet tall, completely cutting off any preview of what is to come be it turns, hills or other riders and then my one complete wipe out that was actually really soft landing due to the grass but slightly amusing/concerning in that I was slowly just sliding down a hillside on my back with my bike on top of me). In the end, I completely my journey and lived to tell the tale with only a few scratches, a little dirt and a series of gnarly bruises on one leg. By far not the worst crash I've ever had.

Alaska continues to amaze and at times overwhelm me with its beauty and vastness. Hopefully, before the termination dust arrives in late summer/early fall, I will at least have made the time to scale one mountain on foot.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

It's been an unusually dry, unusually warm summer in Alaska thus far. I haven't actually managed to do any significant hiking so far but we did take the bikes out over the weekend with some friends. It's always funny to me when I tell people that I suck at mountain biking (not self deprecation, just an honest assessment of my abilities) and they say "Oh, don't worry, me too" and then look horrified at my creeping pace. ;-)

My husband is probably a shade short of expert and has been spending the majority of his outdoor time of late at the downhill park that is actually the ski resort during the winter. I would die just trying to get on my bike at the top, so I usually just find a comfortable spot at the bottom with my camera and my kindle and enjoy some solitude.

However, Saturday, he decided we were going to go biking with another couple. We went to a local park in Anchorage and rode what is deemed an intermediate level trail named Middle Earth. Not unlike Frodo's journey, I too experienced some magical sights (giant moose with a giant antler rack, gorging on a tree and completely ignoring us) and some perils (single track with grass and plants on either side at least eight feet tall, completely cutting off any preview of what is to come be it turns, hills or other riders and then my one complete wipe out that was actually really soft landing due to the grass but slightly amusing/concerning in that I was slowly just sliding down a hillside on my back with my bike on top of me). In the end, I completely my journey and lived to tell the tale with only a few scratches, a little dirt and a series of gnarly bruises on one leg. By far not the worst crash I've ever had.

Alaska continues to amaze and at times overwhelm me with its beauty and vastness. Hopefully, before the termination dust arrives in late summer/early fall, I will at least have made the time to scale one mountain on foot.
      That made me laugh, I know exactly what you mean. I always tell people that I'm very slow so I'll do my own thing but they never believe me until a few minutes into the ride. I was pretty excited at an organized ride a few weeks ago because I wasn't the last rider to finish, there were two guys behind me...they got slowed down because a tree fell across the road and they had to wait until it was removed :D .
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I've not been selected by lottery for two years in succession as a solo rider. I was invited to ride with one of the military teams but I am the guardian of a 12 year old and he can't ride with this team.

Want to consider building a team of forum members? I 'd nominate TwistWrist just for her perseverance. With you, me, and the boy we'd make the requirement for a team.
      Can you picture the equivalent of the 'Hiker Trash' on bikes?

Any takers?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

RAGBRAI starts who's weekend.

Anyone ever ride it or intends to?
      It's on my list. I have to get my mileage up though and that will mean focusing on one activity which I don't like to do. I want to be able to bike 50 mi comfortably before attempting it. Are you riding?
      see post above...lost the original quote for some reason.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

I've not been selected by lottery for two years in succession as a solo rider. I was invited to ride with one of the military teams but I am the guardian of a 12 year old and he can't ride with this team.

Want to consider building a team of forum members? I 'd nominate TwistWrist just for her perseverance. With you, me, and the boy we'd make the requirement for a team.

Any takers?
      that sounds like fun but I can't commit to anything for next year, my daughter is probably getting married. ;(
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I've not been selected by lottery for two years in succession as a solo rider. I was invited to ride with one of the military teams but I am the guardian of a 12 year old and he can't ride with this team.

Any takers?
      that sounds like fun but I can't commit to anything for next year, my daughter is probably getting married. ;(
      planning a year long wedding?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Any takers?
      planning a year long wedding?
      I will be broke
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Any takers?
      The ride would serve as a memorable reception.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Encourage her to do what several of my friends have sone...elope.

Believe me, I've been working on my kids for years. I have very strong feelings against weddings. I had her convinced until she met her boyfriend. When she called to tell me they were dating, she said, "I have bad news, he's an only child and he loves weddings." Ugh.
    • I'm getting a new daughter-in-law next week end...love her...has a 4-wheeler, snow machine, big horsepower motorcycle, sky dives, hikes, great cook, real easy on the eyes, fantastic personality...if she'd just trade that brittany in for an English pointer she'd be perfect.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I completed a ride that's been on my list for a while, Townsend to Cades Cove, about 28 mi round trip.

The challenge is that from the Townsend Wye to Cades Cove it is 7 miles of climbing. Most of it is gradual with a 3/4 mi steeper hill at the end. I stopped a lot but didn't have to walk and I'm super excited that I did it. :)

The ride down was awesome with my top speed around 33 mph.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I completed a ride that's been on my list for a while, Townsend to Cades Cove, about 28 mi round trip.

The challenge is that from the Townsend Wye to Cades Cove it is 7 miles of climbing. Most of it is gradual with a 3/4 mi steeper hill at the end. I stopped a lot but didn't have to walk and I'm super excited that I did it. :)

The ride down was awesome with my top speed around 33 mph.
      kudos to you.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I've known folks riding a loaded touring bike with rim brakes downhill at such a speed, the rim overheated and blew tire.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76: Auto correct issues ().

• CoachLou wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I've known folks riding a loaded touring bike with rim brakes downhill at such a speed, the rim overheated and blew tire.
      I've had my loaded touring bike up to 44 mph. I don't think braking at that speed is needed......you're not stopping anyhow!
      wow. the only time my bike goes 44 mph is when its in the bike carrier securely attached to the hitch.

seriously, thats about how fast as my honda 50 could get up to.
      2,000 miler
    • Drybones wrote:

I'm getting a new daughter-in-law next week end...love her...has a 4-wheeler, snow machine, big horsepower motorcycle, sky dives, hikes, great cook, real easy on the eyes, fantastic personality...if she'd just trade that brittany in for an English pointer she'd be perfect.
      Mi Hombre! I had English Pointers growing up as we had a lot of quail back then. Right before I got out of the Navy I bought a male and female to raise and train. Both were pups so I had my dad pick them up for me. My mom, a die hard Days of Our Lives fan, took it upon herself to name them so when I got home I was introduced to Bo and Hope......sigh. :D

Turned out to both be really good dogs, but Bo was bitten by a copperhead on the neck and died before we could get him to a vet. I wound up selling Hope to a fella in Oklahoma where they still had quail. We had been reduced to pen raised birds and I couldn't stomach that stuff.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • CoachLou wrote:

feral bill wrote:

I have a steep downhill on the way to work. I top 40 MPH daily, and arrive at work with a smile, but earn it on my ride home (on a longer, less steep route).
      How can you tell an Eyetalian Tour de France contestant?
      They keep crashing every time they speak because they take their hands off the bike?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Anything new with the resident cyclists?

I finally got a new bike light. It's 700 lumens vs my old 120 and I can actually see the road. Although there's something philosophically liberating about speeding down a hill in the dark and leaving everything up to fate, I'm happy to be able to see. I could have purchased the RT model for an additional $50, a tail light for $80, and a remote control for $70, and controlled all my lights with the touch of one button. ^^

bontrager.com/model/12540
    • I am not a biker but I have a bike story.
      2007 AT hiker Bag Lady is 18 months into a cycling trip around the world. She landed in Australia on 1st March this year and cycled from Melbourne to Longreach in Queensland (Google it, it's a long way ). She then flew to Perth and is currently walking sobo on the Bibbulmun Track. Her bike is in storage at my place and when she finishes, she will ride from Albany to Adelaide, another bloody long way.
      Her bike is a trike actually. It's a recumbent 3 wheeler.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • The only bicycle story is that haven't been riding hardly at all.
      That might be because my wife, Kathy, is using my bike to commute on.
      Her bike, from 1975, has died an unfortunate death due to frame damage, and I can't get her buy a new one.
      She wants me to build up a bike for her from an old frame we've got hanging around. We're gonna use a rear 3 speed hub that has a built in generator to power lights. It'll be a fun project, if I had more time to work on it.