Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well yesterday, Tuesday 3/9, was my first day back on the bicycle for 2021.
      When I left the house the temp was in the low 40s and a gentle head wind.
      I could feel that I hadn't ridden in months and took it nice and easy. A tad over an hour to do the 10 miles.
      Coming home was quite another experience, the wind had picked up and turned around so it was in my face, making riding harder.
      Also, being dark out makes it harder as I have to make sure to be visible, but not too visible, if you know what I mean.
      I ride with 3 rear, red, lights, one on steady and 2 blinking, at different rates. I also have a rear red reflector, and red reflective tap on the rear fender. Then in the front I have to white lights. One stays on steady and the other flashes and both are plenty bright.
      Then my jacket is bright yellow with silver reflective stripes and I have yellow reflective bands around my ankles that appear to go up and down as I pedal. I had one driver last year tell me I look like a traveling light show.
      By the time I got home my legs were plenty tired. I'm on my feet all day at work and then the ride ends the day.
      Last night I had quite painful leg cramps during the night. They happened so often that I was awake more than asleep last night. That's despite drinking plenty of water with electrolytes added. So the season has begun and I hope to get in plenty more days of bicycle commuting.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well yesterday, Tuesday 3/9, was my first day back on the bicycle for 2021.
      I could feel that I hadn't ridden in months and took it nice and easy. A tad over an hour to do the 10 miles.
      Coming home was quite another experience, the wind had picked up and turned around so it was in my face, making riding harder.
      Also, being dark out makes it harder as I have to make sure to be visible, but not too visible, if you know what I mean.
      I ride with 3 rear, red, lights, one on steady and 2 blinking, at different rates. I also have a rear red reflector, and red reflective tap on the rear fender. Then in the front I have to white lights. One stays on steady and the other flashes and both are plenty bright.
      Then my jacket is bright yellow with silver reflective stripes and I have yellow reflective bands around my ankles that appear to go up and down as I pedal. I had one driver last year tell me I look like a traveling light show.
      By the time I got home my legs were plenty tired. I'm on my feet all day at work and then the ride ends the day.
      Last night I had quite painful leg cramps during the night. They happened so often that I was awake more than asleep last night. That's despite drinking plenty of water with electrolytes added. So the season has begun and I hope to get in plenty more days of bicycle commuting.
      You have the rough start behind you now, should be relatively downhill from here. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Well yesterday, Tuesday 3/9, was my first day back on the bicycle for 2021.
      You have the rough start behind you now, should be relatively downhill from here. :thumbup:
      It's only down hill in one direction. The airport is at 87 feet above sea level and our home is at 125 above sea level. 40 feet over 10 miles isn't much of a hill, but believe it or not, it's noticable, just barely.
    • Living in Florida, I don't have to worry about hills too much, except for all the bridges, which there are many; however, I've ridden in the mountains so much that they don't bother me -- it's funny how many I see walking their bikes up them :D

Living near the ocean, it's the wind that gets me and it's always a headwind (at least 98% of the time). That's because crosswinds are a headwind for all practical purposes, until they reach sufficient strength (for me some where above 20-mph wind), at which point they turn into a true Crosswind, that can be very dangerous, especially when associated with sudden strong gusts.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a headwind blowing right in my face, then I turn around (change course) and the wind also shifts and gives me at least a crosswind, if not a new headwind. It's crazy and makes me think there really is something to Murphy's Law. :cursing:

The only time I know I can trust the wind will not change direction is when it's associated with a strong Front, especially a cold front.
    • Yep, winds can make things very difficult.
      I had one day last year (I think it was last year) that during the day the wind picked up to around 40 mph.
      So after a day at work I had to deal with that riding home. I usually take a road that's 6 and then 4 lanes wide and the wind was howling down that open expanse. So I had the idea to get onto smaller, residential roads where the trees and houses would block the wind some. No luck, it was just as much a factor on those roads as on the wider one. Needless to say it took me a long time to get home that night. Oh, and of course it was a head wind.
    • After all the garden work I did yesterday, I'm taking a bike ride today to recuperate. Took a look at the weather report and noticed the winds are suppose to be from the south all day, so I'm going to ride south and have a headwind all the way down towards St. Augustine. However, if the wind doesn't change too much, that means I'll have a tailwind on the way back...Going to test tempt fate with the Murphy's Law thing....again :thumbsup:
    • Kathy and I got out for a recreational ride today. It was about 25 miles in a wind that was 20 to 25 mph out of the northwest . At least we did the smart thing and rode into the wind in the outbound direction. I enjoyed it but was feeling fat and slow. Oh wait, maybe that's because I gained 20 pounds over the winter :(
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I got out for a recreational ride today. It was about 25 miles in a wind that was 20 to 25 mph out of the northwest . At least we did the smart thing and rode into the wind in the outbound direction. I enjoyed it but was feeling fat and slow. Oh wait, maybe that's because I gained 20 pounds over the winter :(
      Man, that must have been cold yesterday.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I got out for a recreational ride today. It was about 25 miles in a wind that was 20 to 25 mph out of the northwest . At least we did the smart thing and rode into the wind in the outbound direction. I enjoyed it but was feeling fat and slow. Oh wait, maybe that's because I gained 20 pounds over the winter :(
      Man, that must have been cold yesterday.
      Not too bad as there were plenty of hills to get warm cycling up them.
    • Gravel riding this evening was awesome! It was quiet and peaceful...no other cyclists. Evening is a great time to be outside, the animals are active and temps are pleasant. I saw a turkey and an owl flew right in front of me and landed in a tree, the first owl I’ve seen in a long time.
      Images
      • D5CB9BF6-A7A5-4C44-A17D-E89B47C5DA5B.jpeg

326.2 kB, 800×600, viewed 155 times
      • 71DF86FC-BA36-4E94-8996-FAC6615FF6B5.jpeg

244 kB, 800×600, viewed 165 times
      • 20C8E78A-321E-463F-9AEA-F4967F27E6A5.jpeg

187.94 kB, 484×600, viewed 153 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I haven't ridden my bicycle to work for about 2 weeks now.
      Between weather and me needing to get home quick after work I haven't been rising.
      Tomorrow looks like a good day and so I've got my work clothes packed, tires pumped up, and I'll give it a go in the morning.
      The forecast only calls for temperatures in the 70s in the morning so that's a plus for this time of year.
    • Last week I traveled and camped throughout VA with my bike. Biked the entire Creeper Trail and 50 more miles on the New River Trail.

The NRT is only 57 miles but I’m doubling it with out and backs. I only have 11 (22) miles to finish but bought the jersey anyway. :)

The NRT headquarters is at Foster Falls which has a great campground that I highly recommend. It’s right next to the New River (1st pic),

It was hot last week and the second half of the Creeper Trail isn't as shady. The NRT is mostly shady so the heat didn’t bother me as much.

Cycling was followed by a few days in Charlottesville and winery visits then a few days with the grandkids…best vacation!
      Images
      • CAFF7E24-FE78-498F-9CAB-D5CE1B8F7CB4.jpeg

287.07 kB, 800×600, viewed 133 times
      • FEAB959C-9F7E-43F4-A764-2A26FBB66857.jpeg

269.29 kB, 800×600, viewed 139 times
      • E6E9313A-7AC8-42D2-8309-123913192358.jpeg

230.5 kB, 441×600, viewed 130 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Last week I traveled and camped throughout VA with my bike. Biked the entire Creeper Trail and 50 more miles on the New River Trail.............

Let me suggest that some time when you're in PA and have a few extra days that you ride the Great Allegheny Passage. Checkout https://gaptrail.org/ for all the info you might need. Kathy and I have hiked it but we'd like to get back and ride it too.
    • First bike ride of the year. It was a beautiful 50*.
      I especially like the bluegrass fiddler.

I’m doing half of the GAP in July, gotta start training.
      Images
      • 19170E54-9D38-42F9-9F63-4653F3504C51.jpeg

173.8 kB, 473×600, viewed 76 times
      • 9E6AC4EC-3F62-4845-9B4D-0ED85CC299D1.jpeg

288.86 kB, 800×600, viewed 74 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Which half of the GAP are you planning on riding?I've hiked the whole thing so if you have questions feel free to ask me.
      Thanks!
      I’m doing Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD.
      That's the entire GAP. From Cumberland to DC is the C+O Canal Trail. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did !
    • LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Which half of the GAP are you planning on riding?I've hiked the whole thing so if you have questions feel free to ask me.
      Thanks!I’m doing Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD.
      That's the entire GAP. From Cumberland to DC is the C+O Canal Trail. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did !
      Ha ha! Thanks for clarifying, I was a little confused about the difference between the GAP and the C&O.
    • I don't know anything about electric bikes, except that Costco now sells them. Sonders Smart Step for $1,500. It has a USB port so you can keep your devices charged while you ride. :)

REI has 3 (house brand and Cannondale) that range from $2,300 - $2,700. I'm guessing the extra $ would be money well spent quality wise. Plus you can get a lot of socks with the dividend!

If Costco sells em then electric bikes are officially a thing.

<snip>

Enjoy the freedom, power and opportunity to go anywhere and do anything with the simple press of a thumb throttle. SONDORS Smart Step has a powerful 350 watt motor and steadfast, premium components including our proprietary 36 volt lithium-ion battery. The estimated battery range is up to 25 - 40 miles on a full charge. Up to 25 miles of throttle only riding and up to 40 miles when pedalling (with use of electric pedal assist).

costco.com/sondors-smart-step-…ke.product.100732977.html
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

REI has 3 (house brand and Cannondale) that range from $2,300 - $2,700. I'm guessing the extra $ would be money well spent quality wise. Plus you can get a lot of socks with the dividend!
      I did a poor job of reading yesterday. They actually have 22 bikes that range from $2,300 to $5,500.

750w motor -- wow!
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I did my first bicycle commute to work yesterday. The temps. in the morning was 32 ( 30 is my lower limit ), but maybe more important the was little to no wind. Coming home in the evening it was even at my back. Traffic was normal, for around here, and I didn't have any problems. What a pleasure, but I'm definitely out of shape.
    • E bikes are a great thing!

My dad is 80, in poor health and can barely walk (2 weeks ago he was shocked with his implanted defibrillator 4x) but he rides his recumbent E bike every day. It gets him outside and moving.

He has a sturdy strap hanging from the garage ceiling that he holds to get on and off the bike.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I did my first bicycle commute to work yesterday. The temps. in the morning was 32 ( 30 is my lower limit ), but maybe more important the was little to no wind. Coming home in the evening it was even at my back. Traffic was normal, for around here, and I didn't have any problems. What a pleasure, but I'm definitely out of shape.
      You’ll be back in shape in no time!
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

E bikes are a great thing!

My dad is 80, in poor health and can barely walk (2 weeks ago he was shocked with his implanted defibrillator 4x) but he rides his recumbent E bike every day. It gets him outside and moving.

He has a sturdy strap hanging from the garage ceiling that he holds to get on and off the bike.
      Some day, when I have more free time I'd like to build myself a recumbent bike. I've tried them a couple of times and they are neat to ride.