Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

My Trek 720 Touring bike also has 1" of dust on it!

You need to dust off that bike and get on the road! :lol: 49.gif

Hopefully you'll have good weather soon.

My Mtn bike gets used mostly..since I've been hiking again! But my road bike gets some miles on it. It's that touring bike that needs some oil and new tires :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

In what seems like a whole different life time I used to do a lot of bicycling.
      I used to commute 30 miles a day March to whenever winter really set in, founding member of the local bicycle club, and did several weeklong bicycle camping tours with my sons when they were in their teens. All road riding as I've never had a desire to get into the mountain bike thing.
      I've still got 2 bikes down the basement, a Dawes touring bike and a Trek Hybrid. I still occasionally take the Trek out and tool around town, but that's about it. The Dawes hasn't seen the light of day in years :(

You need to dust off that bike and get on the road! 49.gif

Your right TrafficJam. I think I'll have some time on my days off this week. Maybe I'll accompany my wife to work, she rides or walks there, and then do a few miles by myself after.
    • Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Anyone remember the paper route kid in Better Off Dead riding his bike on skies? I guest that is one way to go biking in the winter.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: Hiking & Biking

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Anyone remember the paper route kid in Better Off Dead riding his bike on skies? I guest that is one way to go biking in the winter.

Two Dollars
      Two Dollars
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

It was so nice here today. As soon as I got home from work I took off on my bike:

Hey who shrunk my head???

Cool picture.

Thanks! Yeah the sun was making some cool play with the shadows. I can't believe the pictures turned out that good as they were taken with my phone while I was moving.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

It was so nice here today. As soon as I got home from work I took off on my bike:

Cool picture.

Thanks! Yeah the sun was making some cool play with the shadows. I can't believe the pictures turned out that good as they were taken with my phone while I was moving.

Are you riding a hybrid?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Re:Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Cool picture.

Are you riding a hybrid?

Yes it is Norvva ? From REI . Kind of an upright riding position . 24 gears .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Cool picture.

Are you riding a hybrid?

So you have a triple crank? Nice, I bet you fly up the hills.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Cool picture.

Are you riding a hybrid?

Well I can definetly fly down them. HaHa. I try to maintain about a 10mph average. What do you ride?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Cool picture.

Are you riding a hybrid?

Well I can definetly fly down them. HaHa. I try to maintain about a 10mph average. What do you ride?

I have a compact. I avg 12-14 mph.

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TJ I'm going to have to write you a speeding ticket.:D

You'd be surprised how much faster you are on a road bike.

I didn't know what a compact was:confused:

It's my gear system. I only have two chain rings as compared to your three.

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/what-are-the-advantages-of-compact-gearing?stop_mobi=yes

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TJ I'm going to have to write you a speeding ticket.:D

You'd be surprised how much faster you are on a road bike.

I didn't know what a compact was:confused:

It's my gear system. I only have two chain rings as compared to your three.

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/what-are-the-advantages-of-compact-gearing?stop_mobi=yes

Gotcha. I use to know all that gear ratio stuff when I rode motocross and hill climbed.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Did anyone get to ride today?

No I went to a St. Pattys Day party and drank beer. How about you?

Yep, but it was ugly with lots of long hills. I don't know how, but I managed to average 13 mph over 15 miles. I stopped to rest 5 times! Lol!

You go girl ! That's a good ride in my book .:cool:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Yep, but it was ugly with lots of long hills. I don't know how, but I managed to average 13 mph over 15 miles. I stopped to rest 5 times! Lol!

Did you leave your avatar on that bike ride?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Did you leave your avatar on that bike ride?

I think it left me...hopped on the back of a passing motorcycle. I was just too slow.

I really need to get my bike out now that the weather is warming up (and hopefully staying warmer). Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a city with a mountain bike and almost no terrain suitable (i.e. fun) to really take my bike out on.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

Ewok11 wrote:

I really need to get my bike out now that the weather is warming up (and hopefully staying warmer). Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a city with a mountain bike and almost no terrain suitable (i.e. fun) to really take my bike out on.

I've never been mountain biking, I'm not sure I could do it. You must have great bike skills, Ewok.

TrafficJam wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

I've never been mountain biking, I'm not sure I could do it. You must have great bike skills, Ewok.

I could lie and say I do but the reality is that I have just learned to fall and bounce really well. ;)

My husband used to mountain bike competitively and sometimes I just get the stupid idea that I can keep up with him. So far, I've only broken inanimate objects and a Cannondale.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

Ewok11 wrote:

Look harder :ohmy:
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Ewok11 wrote:

Inspiration for you... This was shot in my home town, Orlando... Mike is my kid brother, Doug rode for La Nuba... Friday nights we did an urban ride outta Orange cycles called "Fatty's and 40's" neither referring to weight nor age, but I digress :silly:
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Hiking & Biking

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I've still got 2 bikes down the basement, a Dawes touring bike and a Trek Hybrid. I still occasionally take the Trek out and tool around town, but that's about it. The Dawes hasn't seen the light of day in years :(

Your right TrafficJam. I think I'll have some time on my days off this week. Maybe I'll accompany my wife to work, she rides or walks there, and then do a few miles by myself after.

Well, my days off came and went and I didn't even have time to think about riding.
      Oh well, maybe tomorrow, I should have a little time.
    • Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I took a pedal today. Around a 14 miler I think as my odometer quit on me. I had to make up for the beer I drank and french fries I ate yesterday at the St. Patty's Patio'party.

gif.004

I ate a bagel and cream cheese this morning to make up for riding my bike yesterday. :lol:

I like your attitude.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hiking & Biking

LIhikers wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Well, my days off came and went and I didn't even have time to think about riding.
      Oh well, maybe tomorrow, I should have a little time.

Sometimes life gets in the way of our fun. The bike will still be there when you're ready :lol:

Toli wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Inspiration for you... This was shot in my home town, Orlando... Mike is my kid brother, Doug rode for La Nuba... Friday nights we did an urban ride outta Orange cycles called "Fatty's and 40's" neither referring to weight nor age, but I digress :silly:

Danny M. is CRAZY amazing with the things he does. I am truly inspired by your boys too. Right now I have a semi-heavy Trek downhill bike. I completely see the urban playground around me (and the large child I'm married to frequently uses the school at the end of our road as a bike park) but I would probably do irreparable damage to myself if I tried. I just play paparazzi and stay behind the camera when the cool stuff happens.

About a year ago we were on a fairly easy trail and my man was flying down a hill. I decided I could do the same speed and then completely lost it going around a curve. I took out a split rail fence with my face when I went over the handlebars, taco'd the front of the bike I was riding and laid there in complete humiliation as people stopped to ask if they should call 911. No...God no...just shoot me. Amazingly, I walked away (well road the banged up bike 2.5 miles back to the car) with bruises on both arms and legs and a bruised and bloody jaw but didn't break any bones. I was really colorful for a few weeks but I showed that fence who was boss for sure! 49.gif

In college I went over the handlebars of my bike while riding down a set of stairs that I'd ridden down 100 times. At the bottom of the stairs the path turned 90° to the right. I kept going straight into the water. My groceries got wet but the six pack of beer and bottle of wine that were in my backpack were ok.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Hiking & Biking

I remember the 1st time I started riding my mountain bike in NC. I was riding downhill thinking this is awesome. This is fantastic, this is what I've always wanted to do. As soon as I hit my 1st incline, I remember thinking this is dumb, this is stupid, who would ever want to do this. I was able to ride uphill a little more each day. I am a flat lander although there are some 100' hills around G'ville.