Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kathy and I went for a ride today in a hilly section of town. And don't you know the bikes shifting wasn't working right, I couldn't get into lower gears. A quick adjustment at home should have that fixed. So we only road a little over 9 miles. I also took the toe clips off and now need to get different pedals. I'm staying away from what is called "clipless" pedals. Think I'll get some MKS pedals with a regular cage.
    • Worth the 45 minute watch if you're interested in bike racing.

6 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes

3,038 miles, climbed 137,812 feet

<snip>

The Race Across America

World Champion Cyclist Rahsaan Bahati leads a four-person team of elite endurance athletes in the 2021 Race Across America, the world’s toughest bicycle race. Team Thin Energy must traverse the continental United States from Oceanside, California, to Annapolis, Maryland, as fast as possible. Along the way, they face extreme heat, intense headwinds, dehydration, sleep deprivation, and hunger to raise money for three families affected by inner-city gang violence.

watch.outsideonline.com/shorts…e-across-america/QWeDomYg
      2,000 miler
    • New

I’ve been riding and trying to get my butt used to being in the saddle again. Since cancelling my gym membership and not going to winter spin class, it’s harder to stay in cycling shape during the off season. I’ve considered investing in winter cycling gear but as I get older, the cold just isn’t fun.

In a few weeks, I’m going on a bike packing trip on the Greenbrier Trail in WV and can’t wait. And I’m thinking about the C&O Canal in July but it depends on my work schedule.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • New

You probably already have most of the clothing you'd want for winter riding. A couple of layers on top, under a jacket to break the wind. Long underwear on the bottom, possibly under shorts if a second layer is needed on your legs. A warm pair of socks, gloves, and a hat, headband, or buff depending on the temp. If you ride with a helmet make sure the hat fits underneath. Most of what I wear in winter is clothing I already had for hiking. Booties that fit over your shoes are helpful to keep your feet warm.
    • New

I'd emphasize gloves for winter riding. My last winter ride was in February 2020 to pace my daughter on her last big pre-marathon run. The only part of me that was uncomfortable was my hands. I'd look for insulated windblock gloves. Non-windblock gloves introduced wind chill into the equation.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard