Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thru Hiker's Companion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thru Hiker's Companion

Back in December I ordered both the AT guide by AWOL and the Thru Hiker's Companion by ALDHA. I got the guide almost immediately. Does anyone know when the Companion might be available. I'm not as comfortable with The AT Guide as I am with the Companion and would rather use that for planning. I guess now that it's 2024 I'm starting to see our LASH on the AT as a reality and want to start thinking and planning for it. :)
    • hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Thanks hikerboy.
      I ordered directly from ALDHA.
      I like much better to have the book in hand than use a PDF on a device or gadget. I guess it'll get here when it gets here.
      You should get it in the next week or so.
      I got an email that my order has been shipped, 2 copies of the updated Companion. I plan to leave 1 copy with our son when we do our LASH and carry the other one ( with half the pages removed). I'll probably get the Far Out app but hope to put the phone away and leave it in my pack most of the time and not use it on a daily basis.
    • Anybody know a good way to cut pages out of the book? I need the section from Georgia to West Viginia, which is the front half of the book. There's also a few pages at the very back that I'd like to keep too. If at all possible I'd like the front half to stay bound together. Any suggestions?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Anybody know a good way to cut pages out of the book? I need the section from Georgia to West Viginia, which is the front half of the book. There's also a few pages at the very back that I'd like to keep too. If at all possible I'd like the front half to stay bound together. Any suggestions?
      You may have seen me post this photo before, however my solution is to carefully cut the book down the binding to create multiple sections, then I only bring the sections I need.
      Images
      • 7079B2AC-91F2-423A-8659-DB310E8F0D4D.jpeg

126.15 kB, 449×600, viewed 30 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Anybody know a good way to cut pages out of the book? I need the section from Georgia to West Viginia, which is the front half of the book. There's also a few pages at the very back that I'd like to keep too. If at all possible I'd like the front half to stay bound together. Any suggestions?
      You may have seen me post this photo before, however my solution is to carefully cut the book down the binding to create multiple sections, then I only bring the sections I need.
      That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks.
      Does the part you carry stay bound together?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks.Does the part you carry stay bound together?
      I've never had an issue with them separating. That said I am very careful when cutting them and do as best I can to cleanly cut between the pages. I also keep them in a ziploc bag while on trail so that they stay flat.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • It turned out to be easy to cut the Companion into sections as Elf suggested. First thing was to find where I wanted to make the cut and decided to cut right after page 120. I layed the book open and pushed the pages as far back as I could. Then I used a brand new snap-off knife to cut down between the open pages. 2 light passes and it was done. There a few pages at the back of the book I wanted too so I did the same thing back there. Then I put the 2 pieces that I want together and using clear packing tape joined the front and back parts together. So in the end I've got a book with the 2 covers and pages I want. For me that was much easier than printing out over a 100 pages from the PDF.
    • LIhikers wrote:

microwave the book. Start with 30 seconds and slowly increase the time until the glue is soft enough for you to pull out the section that you want. Say what you want is 15 pages, put a paper bookmark at the beginning and end, heat and then open the book wide and grab the section you marked and slowly and gently pull it away from the binding. The glue will quickly reset as it cools. You'll now have a mini book and a big book. I have been doing this for years
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

microwave the book. Start with 30 seconds and slowly increase the time until the glue is soft enough for you to pull out the section that you want. Say what you want is 15 pages, put a paper bookmark at the beginning and end, heat and then open the book wide and grab the section you marked and slowly and gently pull it away from the binding. The glue will quickly reset as it cools. You'll now have a mini book and a big book. I have been doing this for years
      Great idea, I'll have to remember that for next time.