Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The AT has been ruined and I'm not the only one who says this

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Matt_C's rant against the Gator is a hoot. Pure Gold!

And he used the same 'If you argue against me, you prove my point' line as he did with us. I'm telling you, Matt_C is a genius. He can never lose an argument this way. He will always be in the right while the rest of the world is wrong. What a way to go through life.

He must be a lonely, lonely man.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • 2025 can't come soon enough. Looking forward to in-depth videos where Matt_C is surrounded by AT cheaters using inferior equipment.

Imagine living next door to this lunatic and listening to him film a 15-minute tent rant. Now imagine if he posted a question here on how to utilize the tie-down tensioners on his new tent. The latter certainly seems to be a better use of 15 minutes.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

2025 can't come soon enough. Looking forward to in-depth videos where Matt_C is surrounded by AT cheaters using inferior equipment.

Imagine living next door to this lunatic and listening to him film a 15-minute tent rant. Now imagine if he posted a question here on how to utilize the tie-down tensioners on his new tent. The latter certainly seems to be a better use of 15 minutes.
      Supposedly he's starting in March, which means he'll be right in the middle of the bubble. Wait until he finds himself camped with 40 people a night.Al doing it wrong but him.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

2025 can't come soon enough. Looking forward to in-depth videos where Matt_C is surrounded by AT cheaters using inferior equipment.

Supposedly he's starting in March, which means he'll be right in the middle of the bubble. Wait until he finds himself camped with 40 people a night.Al doing it wrong but him.
      Sad for those 40 people....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • max.patch wrote:

I hope its really really really cold, and it's raining, and he's at Woody Gap (mile 20) and the first hostel on the trail is just down the road....
      You left some stuff out. And his BA tent is leaking, he cant figure out the tie out hardware, his sleeping bag is wet. All his carefully shopped for gear is starting to cause other issues, his instruction manuals are dissolving in the rain.

I wish him well on his hike(s). I'd just not want to be within several days of him.

Sadly both on here and TOS, he's yet to be doing what people have asked. Ask a specific question. But then in his video's and posts he also seems to belittle or attack about people giving several different options/opinions that don't align with his. I learned all through my career in computing, there is no ONE correct answer. There are multiples, sometimes 20 solutions. Trick is to find the best for THIS application/business.

Early in my career, a coworker was having a lot of trouble meeting deadlines and getting a common function to work. Several of us had already gotten the function working so management told each of us, one by one, to look over his code and offer ideas. We did. All it did was get him into the "but MY code SHOULD work" followed by "I'm NOT changing MY code to match anyone else's". Management relieved him of his duties a few weeks later and several of us had to work hard and long to do-over his work

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I hope its really really really cold, and it's raining, and he's at Woody Gap (mile 20) and the first hostel on the trail is just down the road....
      You left some stuff out. And his BA tent is leaking, he cant figure out the tie out hardware, his sleeping bag is wet. All his carefully shopped for gear is starting to cause other issues, his instruction manuals are dissolving in the rain.
      I wish him well on his hike(s). I'd just not want to be within several days of him.

Sadly both on here and TOS, he's yet to be doing what people have asked. Ask a specific question. But then in his video's and posts he also seems to belittle or attack about people giving several different options/opinions that don't align with his. I learned all through my career in computing, there is no ONE correct answer. There are multiples, sometimes 20 solutions. Trick is to find the best for THIS application/business.

Early in my career, a coworker was having a lot of trouble meeting deadlines and getting a common function to work. Several of us had already gotten the function working so management told each of us, one by one, to look over his code and offer ideas. We did. All it did was get him into the "but MY code SHOULD work" followed by "I'm NOT changing MY code to match anyone else's". Management relieved him of his duties a few weeks later and several of us had to work hard and long to do-over his work
      Great case for web services or a common library for include functions/procedures. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The night before my second section hike on the AT back in Spring 2011 decided it would be better to try setting up my new Big Agnes tent in my house instead of the next night on the trail in the dark. While I am looking for directions my 12 year old son says just watch this YouTube video. :rolleyes:
    • hikerboy wrote:

Supposedly he's starting in March,
      Starting on March is 'cheating.' Real men start in January. I want to see the video of him getting rescued off of Clingmans Dome after spending three days and nights hunkered down in a porta=potty.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

You left some stuff out. And his BA tent is leaking, he cant figure out the tie out hardware, his sleeping bag is wet. All his carefully shopped for gear is starting to cause other issues, his instruction manuals are dissolving in the rain.I wish him well on his hike(s). I'd just not want to be within several days of him.

Great case for web services or a common library for include functions/procedures. :)
      This was WAY before any Web Services. Old COBOL, JCL, IMS....an IBM Product called "ADF" (Application Development Facility). We did have a library tool to track source. A Data Dictionary to track data fields. We had common naming standards. But some of the code SHOULD have been written to be a Called Common Module but wasn't due to variances in input/output and a few other things I'm forgetting. But once a coworker wrote the basics, we just copied it and modified it. This other programmer refused to copy it and change it, wishing to make HIS code work.
    • I had time to kill over lunch yesterday and watched a few more 360 Investigations videos. Apparently, ultralight has no relationship with the mass of an item. It's all about volume. And 90% of the people out there who don't understand this have no right to be hiking or camping.

Oh, the expected interactions with other hikers on the trail. I'm hoping they get posted on trailjournals.com or on TOS.

"I ran into this hiker named Matt_C and got an earful about how all of my gear choices were wrong."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

I had time to kill over lunch yesterday and watched a few more 360 Investigations videos. Apparently, ultralight has no relationship with the mass of an item. It's all about volume. And 90% of the people out there who don't understand this have no right to be hiking or camping.

Oh, the expected interactions with other hikers on the trail. I'm hoping they get posted on trailjournals.com or on TOS.

"I ran into this hiker named Matt_C and got an earful about how all of my gear choices were wrong."
      You killed that time for sure. I've watched a few......

I still wonder about the "Thousands" who agree with him. Yet his video's, most have under 100 views after being up for months.
    • rhjanes wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I had time to kill over lunch yesterday and watched a few more 360 Investigations videos. Apparently, ultralight has no relationship with the mass of an item. It's all about volume. And 90% of the people out there who don't understand this have no right to be hiking or camping.

You killed that time for sure. I've watched a few......
      I still wonder about the "Thousands" who agree with him. Yet his video's, most have under 100 views after being up for months.
      And I think we're responsible for almost half of those views.
      its all good

Apparently, ultralight has no relationship with the mass of an item. It's all about volume. And 90% of the people out there who don't understand this have no right to be hiking or camping.
      Hmmm. I'm going to have to rethink everything I thought I knew about Physics, mass and the Force of gravity.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • RHJanes,
      "I still wonder about the "Thousands" who agree with him. Yet his video's, most have under 100 views after being up for months."

I'm beginning to think 'the thousands' may be the voices speaking to him inside his head.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Are we doing Secret Santa this year? Cuz I got the perfect present... :)

<snip>

Platinum-Blazing the Appalachian Trail: How to Thru-hike in 3-Star Luxury

When thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, where can I find some fine dining or the best ice cream? After many nights in the woods, how can I add some "luxury" to my hike? And which are the very best hostels and other experiences along the AT? Which is the best Trail town for a visit? Platinum-Blazing the Appalachian Trail will point you to the very best or "platinum" meals, accommodations, and other experiences available to the tired hiker looking to splurge from time to time when taking a break from the Trail. Platinum-Blazing the Appalachian Trail helps to show trekkers how to turn a great hike into a platinum expereince.

platinumblazingcom.files.wordp…evised-pb-front-cover.jpg
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Are we doing Secret Santa this year? Cuz I got the perfect present... :)

<snip>

Platinum-Blazing the Appalachian Trail: How to Thru-hike in 3-Star Luxury

When thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, where can I find some fine dining or the best ice cream? After many nights in the woods, how can I add some "luxury" to my hike? And which are the very best hostels and other experiences along the AT? Which is the best Trail town for a visit? Platinum-Blazing the Appalachian Trail will point you to the very best or "platinum" meals, accommodations, and other experiences available to the tired hiker looking to splurge from time to time when taking a break from the Trail. Platinum-Blazing the Appalachian Trail helps to show trekkers how to turn a great hike into a platinum expereince.

platinumblazingcom.files.wordp…evised-pb-front-cover.jpg
      Looks like they are coming out with a new version in 2025. I went ahead and ordered this version to see what it is like.

I guess Oz missed his chance to write this back in 2013. ;)
    • I did not know about this book. Great to see a new take for a trail book. I read the reviews on Amazon and one reviewer took off a few stars because the book did not mention any golf courses. They were serious. You cannot make this stuff up.

Matt_C is gonna love this book :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Is it cheating if you do the trail in a golf cart? :)
      No - as long as you get out occasionally and take pictures. That's how I climbed Mt. Washington.

max.patch wrote:

No - as long as you get out occasionally and take pictures. That's how I climbed Mt. Washington.

Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Mt Washington maybe, but definitely not getting a golf cart up and down Mt Madison. :S
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • No new videos last week. How am I going to fill my time this week when most of my co-workers are on vacation?

I was telling my daughter about Matt_C this past weekend, in particular his inability to figure out how to use the plastic guy line tension adjusters. She thought I was kidding.

I'd pay to see his first experience with bear cables. And the subsequent berating of a ranger because there were no posted instructions. Looks like he paid us a return visit on 12/7 but didn't jump back into any previous discussions.

And has anyone really claimed they climbed Mount Washington 'on foot' after driving up in a car, golf cart, or hoverboard?

I'd pay to see his first experience with bear cables. And the subsequent berating of a ranger because there were no posted instructions.

And has anyone really claimed they climbed Mount Washington 'on foot' after driving up in a car, golf cart, or hoverboard
      Bear cables would be cheating!

And hey, I still had to climb that last 20 feet up from the Mount Washington summit parking lot! :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • It's good to see all the people who condone not doing the trail properly exposing who they are via their replies.
      Cheaters will always justify cheating, and always make excuses and defend other cheaters.

It's obvious that almost all of you replying in this thread are the types of people who would do the following:
      When given a math text and one of the questions is "Find X" you all would circle the letter X on the test and say here it is. You would all then argue with the teacher because you were told your answer it's incorrect, wo.dln't listen to why, then go report the teacher for being racist just to get them fired.