Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The AT has been ruined and I'm not the only one who says this

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I'd like Matt-C to post links to these videos he references. I'd like to see the links to where the "thousands agree with me". I'd like to see links to back up all his assertions.
      I was going to Reply with Quote and interject on all the facts he lists, asking for references. I decided I'd spent enough time reading it the first few times.
      Cite references in an on line discussion? I thought I was the only one who did that.
      Just yesterday someone on another hiking group asked for recipes that were low in cholesterol (among other things like catbs and gluren). I asked why cholesterol, as research now shows that dietary cholesterol is not associated with heart disease as once thought. Some else went into a tizzy, saying I was all wrong and cholesterol was evil. So I posted links to three long review articles written by researchers at the Cleveland Clinic, Harvard, and the NIH. She said these were just studies funded by the egg industry and countered with a YouTube video by some doctor. I gave up.
      OMO, if you wouldn't mind posting a link or two, I'd be interested in reading a few of those articles, especially if there is one that is geared toward being accessible to laypeople.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I'd like Matt-C to post links to these videos he references. I'd like to see the links to where the "thousands agree with me". I'd like to see links to back up all his assertions.
      I was going to Reply with Quote and interject on all the facts he lists, asking for references. I decided I'd spent enough time reading it the first few times.
      Cite references in an on line discussion? I thought I was the only one who did that.
      Just yesterday someone on another hiking group asked for recipes that were low in cholesterol (among other things like catbs and gluren). I asked why cholesterol, as research now shows that dietary cholesterol is not associated with heart disease as once thought. Some else went into a tizzy, saying I was all wrong and cholesterol was evil. So I posted links to three long review articles written by researchers at the Cleveland Clinic, Harvard, and the NIH. She said these were just studies funded by the egg industry and countered with a YouTube video by some doctor. I gave up.
      Beware of Big Egg!
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Cite references in an on line discussion? I thought I was the only one who did that.Just yesterday someone on another hiking group asked for recipes that were low in cholesterol (among other things like catbs and gluren). I asked why cholesterol, as research now shows that dietary cholesterol is not associated with heart disease as once thought. Some else went into a tizzy, saying I was all wrong and cholesterol was evil. So I posted links to three long review articles written by researchers at the Cleveland Clinic, Harvard, and the NIH. She said these were just studies funded by the egg industry and countered with a YouTube video by some doctor. I gave up.
      Beware of Big Egg!
      You mean like from ostriches?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Cite references in an on line discussion? I thought I was the only one who did that.Just yesterday someone on another hiking group asked for recipes that were low in cholesterol (among other things like catbs and gluren). I asked why cholesterol, as research now shows that dietary cholesterol is not associated with heart disease as once thought. Some else went into a tizzy, saying I was all wrong and cholesterol was evil. So I posted links to three long review articles written by researchers at the Cleveland Clinic, Harvard, and the NIH. She said these were just studies funded by the egg industry and countered with a YouTube video by some doctor. I gave up.
      Beware of Big Egg!
      no
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Beware of Big Egg!
      no
      Like some kind of Tik Tok Omelet Trend?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Beware of Big Egg!
      no
      If your eggs involve a tik-tok then they're probably soft boiled.
    • Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Beware of Big Egg!
      no
      I have no idea what that means but I like it.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Beware of Big Egg!
      no
      I have no idea what that means but I like it.
      Real Chefs never use egg timers? ?(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I listened to his video announcing his 2025 AT thru hike and guess what. He's got a go fund me page where he suggests that you can support him by donating money or gear.

He complained about people spending nights in hostels but wants other people to help pay for his vacation. That's some nerve in my opinion. Let me suggest to Matt_C that he pay for his own hiking vacation.
    • odd man out wrote:

On TOS he reports being a bit put off by not being able to edit posts. I wonder why?
      Because he's not donated.......$10 a year and you may edit your posts on TOS.

His ranting about FarOut and AWOL is also interesting. The AT Guide (On Pre-Sale right now) is bound (for planning and leaving at home base), unbound (for taking on the hike) and a PDF. AWOL has tons of legends. But you have to first look at the first few pages instead of posting about it.

On not liking the Apps. Well, purchase the maps. Then get to an Orienteering meet near you, or find a Scout pack and learn basic compass land navigation. He's not planning to stay in the towns anyway so he won't care about all those notes.

And blasting others hiking videos. I have watched the first minutes of several of his. Rambling on (something he complains about others). I'm also amused by the white sheet background, tiny portion of his, with nothing changing on the main part of the screen. He DOES rock the Unabomber Hoodie fashion statement!

Oh well. Hope he does well on his 2025 hike.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Looks like the OP has found and posted on TOS.
      He also has a YouTube channel which he posted a link on TOS to point at.

youtube.com/@360Investigations
      He's a magician. And obviously a good one. He was able to turn into a douchebag with one click of the mouse.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Trying to figure out MattC is a nice diversion from working this morning. Most of my emails or Teams messages are related to cancelled meetings or people taking off this week. Might as well have some fun to kill the time...

I'm not sure that he has a full understanding of what an AT shelter actually is. Maybe he's forming his opinions based on the Huts in the Whites. A person using GoFundMe for their AT hike would definitely get riled up over a section where free camping is restricted and Hut stays are pretty damn pricey. I played a couple of his videos in the background while typing emails. He uses 'shelters' and 'hostels' interchangeably, like each shelter has hot showers, beds and prepared food. To paraphrase: "Hiking shelter to shelter is like going from your friend's house to your relative's house. It's not real hiking." That reminds me of my stay at the Ensign Cowall shelter in Maryland. Sox and I ordered pizza for delivery to the nearby road crossing. A homeless guy living in the shelter berated us by saying "What kind of pioneers are you?" followed by "Are you gonna eat that last slice?". :D

Maybe his douchebag-iness is an attempt to get more subscribers and monetize his youtube channel. Or maybe he was born with it. ?(
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • On TOS, I offered up some thoughts about NOT using AWOL or FarOut apps, Which he was blasting away at. But what leaves me puzzled is his admission that he is tech challenged. Great that he recognizes that. But then he seems to say "Spent a few minutes.....don't get it....WHY do people think this is great?!!!". Well, a few minutes time and then he starts criticizing the app AND the people who use it and praise it? On TOS, I offered up purchasing paper maps and a compass. Attending some Orienteering meets to learn land-nav and then he can forget the apps.

I didn't catch his interchanging Hostels and Shelters. Toss in Lean-To's....
    • I just watched the delusional 35-minute Delusional on the AT video. And I think I found the basis for the MattC mentality.

In between all of the hostel, shower, bed, kitchen meal, etc. tirades, he started talking about gear. He was primarily ranting about 'idiots' that buy expensive high performance / low weight tents. Then he threw out a comment about $700 sleeping bags that you don't need to be able to hike the AT in 'discomfort', also known as the MattC way.

So even if you bypass shelters, lean-to's, hostels and hotels, you're still doing it wrong if you use expensive gear. It's all about the Benjamins and his lack thereof. And suffering during the attempt, of course.

Time to complete some training modules.

• hddeuce03 wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

On TOS he reports being a bit put off by not being able to edit posts. I wonder why?
      :) :) :)
      Hey all, new here. What is TOS? Thanks!
      The Other Site, also known as whiteblaze.net. Most folks here were moderated off that site and came here for more fun. And thread drift, Can't forget about thread drift. Look... a butterfly!

• Mrs. Tortoise and I are heading to Asheville for Thanksgiving. Looking forward to stopping at Buc-ee's for a brisket sandwich on our way south.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

hddeuce03 wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

:) :) :)
      Hey all, new here. What is TOS? Thanks!
      The Other Site, also known as whiteblaze.net. Most folks here were moderated off that site and came here for more fun. And thread drift, Can't forget about thread drift. Look... a butterfly!
      Ah, thanks! No wonder Google didn't help lol
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Mrs. Tortoise and I are heading to Asheville for Thanksgiving. Looking forward to stopping at Buc-ee's for a brisket sandwich on our way south.
      Coming back from Franklin, NC this morning told my wife that if we went thru Knoxville and Nashville instead of Chattanooga we coiuld pass 2 different Buc-ee's. We love Buc-ee's, but not "quite" worth the extra hour.
    • max.patch wrote:

I'm thinking I need to be on Springer mid March 2025 and catch the show.
      I'm thinking the real sh!t show will be at Neels Gap. Will Reverend MattC stop into the hostel to preach to the unclean masses? "Thine lack of hardship in Georgia will surely smite thee in thine Maine wilderness. REPENT!"

Or at the NOC. I'd be inclined to park my butt on a bench outside of the convenience store to watch the mighty hiker stroll right through without stopping for a Snicker's or a Gatorade. "But how will you know it's MattC?" you ask? The stench. You can smell hardship from a ways off.

• hikerboy wrote:

IF you go to TOS, apparently he is also OUTRAGED that the AWOL Guide isn't tailored to him.
      Really, I am looking forward to his hike.
      If you string together some of his comments, he also admits to being tech challenged. Then goes off about FarOut and how there are no manuals, no instructions, the "How To" video's all drift off. I pointed out on TOS, even included a link, that the FarOut website has THEIR tutorials. Watch, pause, back up the video, try it, watch it again. I also suggested he try and find a trail near him that is also on FarOut. Then he can go and try out what he learned. He didn't seem to respond but went off about something else.

Look! A Buc-Ee's!!!!
    • rhjanes wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

IF you go to TOS, apparently he is also OUTRAGED that the AWOL Guide isn't tailored to him.
      Really, I am looking forward to his hike.
      If you string together some of his comments, he also admits to being tech challenged. Then goes off about FarOut and how there are no manuals, no instructions, the "How To" video's all drift off. I pointed out on TOS, even included a link, that the FarOut website has THEIR tutorials. Watch, pause, back up the video, try it, watch it again. I also suggested he try and find a trail near him that is also on FarOut. Then he can go and try out what he learned. He didn't seem to respond but went off about something else.
      Look! A Buc-Ee's!!!!
      its all good
    • The sad part is he really isn't willing to listen to what's being suggested to him. For someone who is into investigations, you'd think he could do a better job of navigating to FarOUt's how to page. Instead, it's just one rant after another.
      I think most of us here would be willing to tell him whatever he needs to know, but he takes each suggestion as an attack.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

The sad part is he really isn't willing to listen to what's being suggested to him. For someone who is into investigations, you'd think he could do a better job of navigating to FarOUt's how to page. Instead, it's just one rant after another.
      I think most of us here would be willing to tell him whatever he needs to know, but he takes each suggestion as an attack.
      I agree. I know I have learned so much from you and others here, and I always want to pay it forward when I have the opportunity.

It is like he found the water source of knowledge and experience, but refuses to drink, and will complain about being thirsty later. ?(