Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Smoking Sox goes Under the Knife

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Smoking Sox goes Under the Knife

My high school buddy, best man and hiking partner Smoking Sox is finally having his MCL / ACL tears repaired today. The injury goes back to February (skiing) but he had a vacation planned in Iceland and didn't want to cancel due to the extensive rehab requirements. So he strapped on a brace, hobbled around the country as much as possible, and waited until he got back to have the repair done. Hopefully, the months of delay haven't caused any complications.

The procedure involves the transplant of cadaver ligaments. I'm still working on a proper response, but my initial thought is that his left knee will be dead to me. I can only hope that the donor was a slow hiker so I'm not playing catch-up on the trail.

And it's a bit ironic that my AT hike this weekend will put me 16 miles ahead of Sox. I'm always the one with an orphan section, trying to get us back to even on our trail mileage. I won't rub it in. Much.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Guy I sat by going from Little Rock to Denver last week was going fly fishing with some of his buddies in MT.
      It is an annual thing, and he said one of them had put off ankle surgery until after the trip just so he could go.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • All went well. Sox has a tendon from a 28-year old donor so that should put some spring in his step once his rehab is complete.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Wishing him a speedy recovery. I finally had my shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago after suffering for 3.5 years. For the first time since my accident I can raise my left arm completely vertical. And I'm lighter, .4" collar bone and 3 minor ligaments removed.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference