Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pico Camp Shelter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pico Camp Shelter

<snip>

greenmountainclub.org/hiking/trail-updates/

Trail Changes & Closures

Pico Camp Closure Notice

The Green Mountain Club is closing Pico Camp until unauthorized occupancy of the shelter can be resolved by local authorities. This is a matter of public safety and hikers should find an alternate overnight site or accommodation.

We appreciate the concern and patience of the hiking community as we work to resolve this matter.

Alternative Overnight Suggestions:
      • Churchill Scott Shelter or Tucker Johnson Shelter on the Long Trail North
      • Cooper Lodge or Governor Clement Shelter on the Long Trail South
      • The Inn at the Long Trail on U.S. Route 4
      =====

My guess is that someone liked it there so much they decided to stay permanently.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

<snip>

greenmountainclub.org/hiking/trail-updates/

Trail Changes & Closures

Pico Camp Closure Notice

The Green Mountain Club is closing Pico Camp until unauthorized occupancy of the shelter can be resolved by local authorities. This is a matter of public safety and hikers should find an alternate overnight site or accommodation.

We appreciate the concern and patience of the hiking community as we work to resolve this matter.

Alternative Overnight Suggestions:
      • Churchill Scott Shelter or Tucker Johnson Shelter on the Long Trail North
      • Cooper Lodge or Governor Clement Shelter on the Long Trail South
      • The Inn at the Long Trail on U.S. Route 4
      =====

My guess is that someone liked it there so much they decided to stay permanently.
      If I was there I would totally be up for another stay at The Inn at the Long Trail! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Here is a first person account of an incident at Pico Camp two years ago...

dsrunners.com/2022/07/25/the-salt-incident/

Not sure if 'Salt' still frequents the area. Part of the problem may be that Pico has built more slope-side condos/ homes over the years and that may be bringing road access in closer to the camp.

From a thru-hiker's perspective, I'm with Astro. Just a few more miles and you can be enjoying a night at the Inn at LT.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier