Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

WV/MD in June

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WV/MD in June

We will be on the trail in WV and Maryland this June. Previously we have section hiked in Georgia, NC, Tennessee, and Virginia, always in June as we worked for the school system and went during summer break, and have enjoyed the lack of mosquitos and flies in the south. We are wondering if we are more likely to encounter these in June as we move farther north this summer. Headnets needed? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    • Wintergreen,
      I will speak for Northern New England. Absolute yes to packing head nets in June from Massachusetts to Maine. It is not just mosquitoes, June is Black Fly season. Those little buggers can drive you crazy. Of course the severity depends on where you are. Deep forest and swampy areas are the worst. Up on the ridges, the wind keeps both black flies and mosquitos at bay. The Black Flies fade away after June, but the mosquitos can persist till the fall.

I have not hiked the MidAtlantic states in June, so I will let others say what that is like.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Nearly all of my hike of the AT was in June, July, and August.. Treated clothes in permethrin, deet spray, and few times bugs were really bad pulled out headnet.

Stick with 25% deet, the stronger stuff can destroy your gear including rain jacket. Picardin is another option.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Nearly all of my hike of the AT was in June, July, and August.. Treated clothes in permethrin, deet spray, and few times bugs were really bad pulled out headnet.

Stick with 25% deet, the stronger stuff can destroy your gear including rain jacket. Picardin is another option.
      Picaradin doesn't damage synthetic fabrics like DEET. It feels and smells better.

I somehow ended up wit two identical Sea to Summit mosquito headnets (new, still in original packaging). I'll gift one to someone who needs it.