Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2023 Trail Blogs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2023 Trail Blogs

Does anyone have any Hiker Blogs they are following this year? I'll admit, my interest as trailed off over the years because most of them seem pretty redundant.
      Some of the early starters I have looked at have already gone home to lick their wounds (and egos).

On Facebook there is a group you can follow called '32 Feet Up.' They are a hiking family of FIFTEEN children and their single mother. Yes, you read that right. Hence the name, 32 feet. They have at least one dog in the mix too. I'm not sure I would like a group that large to show up at my campsite, but they are entertaining to watch from this distance.

Anyway, I don't think they have much of a chance, but Mom seems to have a good attitude all considered, and they are having fun.
      They have a YouTube video channel too...

youtube.com/@32feetup
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I don't look at hiking blogs or videos unless there is something different or unique about the hiker(s). Don't know how long they will keep my interest, but this certainly qualifies. I'll have to follow them on FB.

The first thing that hit me was the logistical problems of hiking with 15 kids. How do you get to town? You can't get to town via a shuttle or hitchhike. Does mom go to town alone and have the oldest kids babysit while shes gone? Or do they have someone driving a bus who is following along (that would make sense)?

This could be interesting. Thanks for posting.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I don't look at hiking blogs or videos unless there is something different or unique about the hiker(s). Don't know how long they will keep my interest, but this certainly qualifies. I'll have to follow them on FB.

The first thing that hit me was the logistical problems of hiking with 15 kids. How do you get to town? You can't get to town via a shuttle or hitchhike. Does mom go to town alone and have the oldest kids babysit while shes gone? Or do they have someone driving a bus who is following along (that would make sense)?

This could be interesting. Thanks for posting.
      Looks like they had the oldest son supporting driving a bus.
      But the brakes failed and the bus has crashed.
      Not sure of the current status.
      Most of the content seems to be on FB.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I don't read as many hiker blogs as I use to. They all sound the same after a while.
      Well, I finally found a hiker that puts a different spin on things... Goda Latvys (Freyja)

Her FB account is here... facebook.com/goda.latvys

But her content is a bit too spicy for Facebook. If you want the details if her 2023 thru-hike, you have to go to her personal blog found here.... goodvibegoda.com/

Next click 'Travel Blog' at the top. Then click "Appalachian Trail 2023." Enjoy!

Warning: Extreme Adult Content and Kinks

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I don't read as many hiker blogs as I use to. They all sound the same after a while.
      Well, I finally found a hiker that puts a different spin on things... Goda Latvys (Freyja)

But her content is a bit too spicy for Facebook. If you want the details if her 2023 thru-hike, you have to go to her personal blog found here.... goodvibegoda.com/

Next click 'Travel Blog' at the top. Then click "Appalachian Trail 2023." Enjoy!

Warning: Adult Content and Kinks
      She's a nasty girl. I'm not sure I believe everything she writes.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • IMScotty wrote:

Does anyone have any Hiker Blogs they are following this year? I'll admit, my interest as trailed off over the years because most of them seem pretty redundant.
      Some of the early starters I have looked at have already gone home to lick their wounds (and egos).

On Facebook there is a group you can follow called '32 Feet Up.' They are a hiking family of FIFTEEN children and their single mother. Yes, you read that right. Hence the name, 32 feet. They have at least one dog in the mix too. I'm not sure I would like a group that large to show up at my campsite, but they are entertaining to watch from this distance.

Anyway, I don't think they have much of a chance, but Mom seems to have a good attitude all considered, and they are having fun.
      They have a YouTube video channel too...

youtube.com/@32feetup
      They found a trail where pink blazing is actually encouraged! :)

scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v…PPZYA_EgVgEQA&oe=64C93F44

their post caption: She was absolutely enamored with the fact she finallyyyyyyyy found a pink blaze.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• They are currently in PA and a few days ago hiked 24 miles (longest day to date) into Port Clinton. They hope to be able to summit Katahdin; cut and paste follows:

"I called Baxter!! The communication has begun. Wish us luck.
      We were made aware last night that Baxter State Park is aware of our family and knows of “Not Oatmeal” and our desire for her to summit with us. I made the call today and am awaiting a call back. For those that do not know, Baxter State Park has an age limit of 6 years old to summit Katahdin. I’ve corresponded with Cassie Sutton, Harvey’s mom, the 5 yr old who they allowed to successfully summit in 2021. Since then it seems there was a permit system created for “elite athletes” which Not Oatmeal could potentially qualify. And rather than going before the entire board the park director has now been granted the ability to give permission and grant the permit to those they feel are capable. Not Oatmeal has walked all 1,170 miles thus far on her own, will be traversing the Whites on her own two feet next week with us and, like Harvey was given, we hope to be granted permission for her to summit with us."
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

I don't read as many hiker blogs as I use to. They all sound the same after a while.

Warning: Extreme Adult Content and Kinks
      lol, I had forgotten all about this hiker and her quite unusual blog. Apparently she has some enthusiastic facebook followers. One more cut and paste.

Apparently she does have standards:

"3. No, l don’t want to have sex with every person I meet… and no, I will not “meet up” with you to have a sexual experience just so I could write about you in my book. I meet people along my travels and everything is inspired in the moment."

You've been warned. :)

"5. If you send a d*ck pic, you are getting blocked. These posts aren’t about you getting a b*ner. They are personal diary entries I share to help people let go of any shame they built up around the concept of sex. I find a lot of beauty in sexual encounters and my goal is to show people that it can be fun/playful. If you get aroused, great! I don’t want to see it."
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I learned something today. I'm obviously not spending enough time on the trail. Here goes:

The opposite of pink blazing is banana blazing.

ETA: Yikes. Google tells me this term has been around since at least 2016. Keeping track of Trump's felonies and staying current on climate change takes up so much time that stuff like this falls thru the cracks.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 3 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

I learned something today. I'm obviously not spending enough time on the trail. Here goes:

The opposite of pink blazing is banana blazing.
      Sounds slippery.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard