Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

11 Best Hikes in the World

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've been researching the TMB. One problem is that dispersed camping is not allowed in most of the Alps. There are huts available all along the trail, but they are reserved nine months in advance. So you have to plan your route in September for your trip the following Summer, which is kind of crappy.

That's the problem with a lot of "bucket list" hikes on these kinds of lists. They are really crowded when there are nearby options that are probably as good or better.

In the Alps, the Walkers Haute Route (Chamonix to Zermatt) would be comparable to the TMB (they overlap at the Chamonix end).
      But given the high cost of everything in Switzerland, I might go for the Alta Via 1 in the Dolomites of the northern Italian Alps (near Cortina where the next winter olympics will be held). These are also hut to hut hiking, but at least in Italy, the huts are required to accommodate everyone, even if you don't have to have advance reservations (although you may end up sleeping on the floor).

In Nepal, the EBC Trek is on out and back trek that kills a lot of people with altitude sickness if you are not careful. Most all will use the same crowded trails and huts. The great thing about trekking in the Khumbu (Everest region), is you can go almost anywhere and there will be a lodge with bed and food. As long as you avoid the most crowded trails and months, no reservations are necessary. Even if one lodge is full with a giant group, there will be one nearby that is available. The less crowded trails are probably more scenic too.

But the top of my international trekking list is northern Sweden. The Kungsleden is a long distance trail through the mountains. Most of it is serviced by off-the-grid huts, but still have resupply shops, beds, kitchen, and saunas. Also, in all of Scandinavia, you can camp and hike on almost any undeveloped, unoccupied land with no permits, fees, or permission needed.
    • I may have just fallen into at least a taste of the Tour du Mont Blanc in 2024.

My sister lives in Siena Italy. My wife and I decided that we're ready for another visit next year as a 60th birthday present to ourselves. I booked an Airbnb in Siena to coincide with the July 2nd Palio horse race so we can see a running while my sister still lives there. The Airbnb has a few extra beds so I asked my daughter if she'd like to plan a visit.

Turns out, she has an entire planning spreadsheet for hiking the TMB during the same timeframe. And she had already built in two rest days in Courmayeur in the Italian Alps to visit my sister. Wouldn't you know it, my sister recommended that we head north into the Alps right after the Palio to escape the summer heat. What are the odds that the dates and locations would sync up like that?

As it's shaping up, we will depart Siena early on July 3rd and do a combination of trains and buses to reach the village of Courmayeur. My daughter and her boyfriend should hike into town the same day. Over the next two days, we can either relax in the village or take buses / cable cars up to the trail (east or west) and hike back to town. 5 or 10 km each day would be better than zero km. And I can return with some photo eye-candy to motivate some of y'all to put it on your list.

OMO, from what I'm reading, camping is fine in the French sections. In Italy, camping is constrained to formal (paid) campgrounds but there are many lodging options in the towns and villages. In Switzerland, you just open your wallet and cry.

The Refuges operate very similar to the White Mountain Huts. Dinner, bed, breakfast for a set price plus the option to purchase a box lunch before you leave. Plus the option to purchase beer and wine. Nice.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I found this guide to camping on the TMB.
      Camping is possible in France, but not anywhere you want, but this site could help you plan.

nomadswithapurpose.com/tour-du-mont-blanc-camping/

An advantage of the Italian Refuges in the Dolomites and the huts in Sweden is that they are obligated to accommodate you, even if they are full and you don't have a reservation (but you may get a place on the floor somewhere).
    • odd man out wrote:

I found this guide to camping on the TMB.
      Camping is possible in France, but not anywhere you want, but this site could help you plan.

nomadswithapurpose.com/tour-du-mont-blanc-camping/

An advantage of the Italian Refuges in the Dolomites and the huts in Sweden is that they are obligated to accommodate you, even if they are full and you don't have a reservation (but you may get a place on the floor somewhere).
      Better a spot on the floor than a spot in the dungeon. I'm still stuck on the concept of buying beer and wine in the refuges. What a great way to carb-load after a good workout!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard