Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT Maps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• in 2011 for our first section hike I purchased maps from the ATC. I see now that they are purchased through the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and from Mountaineer Books. The maps were useful to get the big picture of where we were, and what we were likely seeing from viewpoints, but I didn't find little Appalachian Trail Guide books which were included very useful. We have used the AWOL AT Guide Books for subsequent section hikes and greatly appreciate them. That being said I have two questions....

1. Has the AT route changed enough that it would be beneficial to purchase new maps? I have old ones through Central Virginia.
      2. Is there a source for purchasing just the maps without the little books? I looked around online and didn't find one.

Thank you for your time and any advice you may have! I will be section hiking again this summer around Harper's Ferry, and plan to begin at Amicalola Falls in Feb. 2024 and see how far I can go. I have completed most of the trail Georgia through Marion, VA. I will be 62, and look forward to seeing these places again rather than starting at Marion.
    • I purchased maps for GA & NC from the ATC when I started my section hike in 2010. While I enjoyed them, I did not buy anymore until NH & ME.

My recommendation would be to not buy new ones (unless you are just rolling in disposable income). Instead I would buy current AWOL or FarOut (Guthhooks) for guaranteed acccurate information on the current trail (I used both). Bring your old maps along which should still be valuable for surrounding roads and bailout options dispite more detailed trail reroutes.

FWIW, for all non-AT trails I do try to always buy maps in addition to FarOut and a trail guide/data book. But for the AT other than NH & ME I would consider it more of a luxury item.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I echo Astro's advice. My old guidebook and maps for the Smokies (purchased ~2010) were a bit out of date but showed the side trail and road information that I wanted. I do review trail updates on the ATC site before my sections to look for new information and I'll compare my guidebook data to Guthook's database before hitting the trail.

I have purchased the entire guidebook/map set from the ATC over the years. I find paper maps very satisfying - especially when my hiking partner's phone battery dies for the 4th time and I get to razz him on how much weight he saved by relying 100% on Guthook.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I have purchased the entire guidebook/map set from the ATC over the years. I find paper maps very satisfying - especially when my hiking partner's phone battery dies for the 4th time and I get to razz him on how much weight he saved by relying 100% on Guthook.
      Around 2013 or so I bought the entire guidebook/map set from the ATC to replace my old set which dated back to the 80s. Back then if you waited for the annual Thanksgiving to Christmas sale you got everything for the price of just about only the maps the rest of the year. I don't expect to ever replace what I now have. I agree with Mr Tortoise that maps are too important to rely on having them only on your phone.
      2,000 miler
    • At the Pinkham Notch Bookstore, the clerk was telling me about new AMC maps. He handed me the one for the entire area. I opened it and he started to show me where Franconia Ridge was, where the Kancamangus Highway was, when he pointed out where Mtn. Washington was I finally said "Hold on, I'm good, I've hiked this entire map!"
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

At the Pinkham Notch Bookstore, the clerk was telling me about new AMC maps. He handed me the one for the entire area. I opened it and he started to show me where Franconia Ridge was, where the Kancamangus Highway was, when he pointed out where Mtn. Washington was I finally said "Hold on, I'm good, I've hiked this entire map!"
      The AMC Guide maps that come with the White Mountains guide book are very good. I get a new edition every several years so I have multiple copies by now.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • My wife and I do a lot of our hiking in NY's Harriman State Park, which has hundreds of miles of trails. There have been dozens of times that people have asked us if we had a map because their phone or GPS has gone dead, usually due to a dead battery. And almost always it's young people. Well almost everybody is younger than me so let me say people under 30.
    • IMScotty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

At the Pinkham Notch Bookstore, the clerk was telling me about new AMC maps. He handed me the one for the entire area. I opened it and he started to show me where Franconia Ridge was, where the Kancamangus Highway was, when he pointed out where Mtn. Washington was I finally said "Hold on, I'm good, I've hiked this entire map!"
      The AMC Guide maps that come with the White Mountains guide book are very good. I get a new edition every several years so I have multiple copies by now.
      I have one from the 60s, 70s and the newest is maybe 2010!
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I do a lot of our hiking in NY's Harriman State Park, which has hundreds of miles of trails. There have been dozens of times that people have asked us if we had a map because their phone or GPS has gone dead, usually due to a dead battery. And almost always it's young people. Well almost everybody is younger than me so let me say people under 30.
      I know I've told this story here before.....while working in Harriman, I was in a lot getting my official looking gear on, my helmet was on my car roof, a young couple was walking around the lot with their cell phone up in the air. Every once in a while the girl would look over at me. When they got to the correct trail head I heard the guy say...."well lets take this trail up and we'll have better service....................the Girl........"SIR".....................I managed not to laugh. I did give them give them the best advice I had for them. "You will not have service in most of this park, drive down the hill, go to the book store and get a paper map, there are too many trails here and no service. I did not hear helicopter's or search dogs that day, so they must have made out OK.