Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

WInd pants

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So I have been searching for a replacement for my Patagonia Houdini WindPants.
      They just don't seem to make them anymore. I liked these because they were like wearing gossamer.
      Light weight, breathable, yet did the job of blocking wind and sun, and for a little while, a light rain.
      I wear them in the desert for sun protection. Light shorts and my wind pants and it would feel like I was wearing nothing at all.
      The con, they were not very durable. I guess that is why they stopped making them.

I have been unable to find a suitable replacement. I bought the newer models of Patagonia Wind Pants and they are much heavier. Feels like I am wearing rubber pants. They don't breath. I hate them.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • So today these arrived in the mail...

Made to order by 'GramXpert' in England. Cost 65 euro. Made of 10D Ripstop.

They are like wearing gossamer. They are even lighter than the Houdini were. They feel breathable. Drawcord waist, and feet.

The Cons: I don't like the cut. They feel a little tight in the crotch, and then the rest of it is baggy beyond belief.

I have a desert section coming up in May. I'll give them a workout then and see if they grow on me.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Just came back from exploring that site JJ. What a great resource for the crafty among us! Unfortunately, that ain't me. I do admire all the 'Do It YourSelfers.'

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Just came back from exploring that site JJ. What a great resource for the crafty among us! Unfortunately, that ain't me. I do admire all the 'Do It YourSelfers.'
      if I had the time I'd offer to sew them for you, but my hands are full being a caregiver right now.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Equipment Report on 'GramExpert' custom made Wind Pants:

Finally got to try this out for a week in the Southern CA desert on the PCT, 86 miles.
      I mentioned when I got them I felt the fit was a little tight in the seat. As the hike went on either the pants loosened up, or I lost weight, because the issue resolved itself by the end.

I liked the ultralight weight and the simple waist and leg tighteners (pull and cinch). They kept the sun off my legs without feeling like I had much on. The loose fit kept the mobility and breathability good. The price you pay for lightweight 10D ripstop is durability. I did end up with one small tear in the seat and a few small pinholes. All my fault, I just plop down on the pinecones and thorns when exhausted.

At 65 Euro I consider these a good deal compared to the competition. Gramexpert also makes wind pants in 20d if you want more durability, but I think I will stick with 10d. This small cottage company has a number of other products too, I would recommend giving them a try if you can deal with the longer shipping times from England.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • OMO,

In the desert my wind pants are primarily for sun protection. I wish it would rain once in a while.

In the North East I wear them to keep from getting chilled by the wind when it is cool, without the need for heavy clothing. They keep me dry in a light mist. If it is a heavy rain, I am more apt to shelter up because I hate the clammy feeling of heavy rain gear.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Well, I managed to shred my wind pants on this trip. I did a split in the mud at a spring. once this material starts tearing, it does not stop.

That said, I think I will give this brand another go. I do like the light weight and breathability. Hopefully they will last at least as long as a pair of trail-runners next time.

John Greenleaf Whittier