Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Western Mountaneering Bags

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Western Mountaneering Bags

Okay I'm already sold on them. USA made rules for sleeping bags. gif.004
      I bought a MityLite (?the 40 degree green semi rectangular one) on my 2013 hike.
      Now I have a friend here who wants one.
      I gather that WM don't tend to go on sale anywhere.

I'm looking for advice on which outfitter chain might be the cheapest source for them or if anyone knows if one has a sale coming up etc?

If they don't mail overseas I can probably get around that anyway.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Okay I'm already sold on them. USA made rules for sleeping bags. gif.004
      I bought a MityLite (?the 40 degree green semi rectangular one) on my 2013 hike.
      Now I have a friend here who wants one.
      I gather that WM don't tend to go on sale anywhere.

I'm looking for advice on which outfitter chain might be the cheapest source for them or if anyone knows if one has a sale coming up etc?

If they don't mail overseas I can probably get around that anyway.

Jack, i will ask at my local place, I got my Puma from them but it was 10 yrs and they had to order it........what is the model of your summer bag again? I want to try to get it by Summer.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

[quote="

a MityLite (?the 40 degree green semi rectangular one) on my 2013 hike.

Jack, i will ask at my local place, I got my Puma from them but it was 10 yrs and they had to order it........what is the model of your summer bag again? I want to try to get it by Summer.[/quote]

Oh......duh......................I'm up!

well, here's moose jaws price..no idea if thats good or not.

moose jaw $359
      http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/ProductDisplay?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Google-_-wevs&partNumber=10200407&cmCat=-10020&storeId=10208&langId=-1&catalogId=10000001&ad_id=Google&searchTerm=mitylite&searchDisplay=1&searchBean=com.moosejaw.commerce.search.beans.SearchResultViewBean%406b566b56

Will keep and eye out.

and for comparison...Oz I realize you could have done this also...I'm just killin time.

Back Country $325
      http://www.backcountrygear.com/western-mountaineering-mitylite-alpine-green-regular-right-zip.html

EMS $325
      http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3662074&utm_source=none&utm_term=DSA_-_All&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=s&matchtype=b&gclid=CIOr95Xy37wCFUdk7AodeA8A8g
    • Re:Re: Western Mountaneering Bags

Rasty wrote:

Backcountrygear.com and Amazon have the Mitylite for $325

That's the best it gets for a Mitylite. It's my next bag and I've been looking at them for months. Moosejaw will match anybody's price.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Re:Re: Western Mountaneering Bags

Thanks guys.
      Made the thread and went to bed.
      Just checked something else and see all the replies.
      $325 looks like as good as it gets.
      Someone in West Virginia coming to hike the Bib late March.
      May organise for him to bring one.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Looking to buy a Western Mountaineering Highlite (6'). Been watching for a month now, and have never seen them go below $340. So I amwondering if I should go ahead and buy it now for my birthday, or does anyone think there is much of a chance it might go on sale by Christmas? Of course avoiding taxes and getting free shipping is another factor.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Looking to buy a Western Mountaineering Highlite (6'). Been watching for a month now, and have never seen them go below $340. So I amwondering if I should go ahead and buy it now for my birthday, or does anyone think there is much of a chance it might go on sale by Christmas? Of course avoiding taxes and getting free shipping is another factor.

That's probably as good as it's gonna get Astro. I've been watching the Mitylite and $325 is as good as it gets on that one. I've been watching the Highlite (6'6") just out of curiosity because the 2 bags are very similar with the Highlite weighing a ½lb less and a 5º lower temp rating and $350 is as good as it gets on that one. But I don't need the lower temp rating and do need the bigger girth and the ability to use like a quilt so that's the way I'm gonna go, closer to Christmas though. If I were you I'd pull the trigger on the $340 - 6' model and have a Happy Birthday!
    • Astro wrote:

Looking to buy a Western Mountaineering Highlite (6'). Been watching for a month now, and have never seen them go below $340. So I amwondering if I should go ahead and buy it now for my birthday, or does anyone think there is much of a chance it might go on sale by Christmas? Of course avoiding taxes and getting free shipping is another factor.

BPL brother... I see that bag on there ALL the time...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • I once (once!) was WM do a factory seconds sale that was 20-25% off the normal price for nearly perfect bags. I'm still mad that I didn't buy one as soon as I saw it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I once (once!) was WM do a factory seconds sale that was 20-25% off the normal price for nearly perfect bags. I'm still mad that I didn't buy one as soon as I saw it.

Now that there would be nice. I wonder if you could get them to let the cat out of the bag on that.
    • CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'd love to have real winter bag by them but I cant justify, to myself, the cost for just a few nights a year.

But Paul, I have had my WM Puma for 10 years. I use it from mid Oct to April. Maybe 10 nights or more! Good gear lasts so you use it longer. I'm sure you have some old expensive tools in your box!

True, there is no substitute for quality.
      You almost have me talked into it, and if I only had to carry one sleeping bag in winter maybe I'd get out more often in that season
    • Marmot makes a pretty decent bag and you can catch those on sale. I believe I paid $294 for the Helium long, 15* and true to rating, I've slept 15 degrees in boxers and a tee shirt in a tent...but as with all bags, you got to have a pad that's rated as low as the bag or you'll get cold...whether you're in a tent or shelter makes a HUGE difference also.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Marmot makes a pretty decent bag and you can catch those on sale. I believe I paid $294 for the Helium long, 15* and true to rating, I've slept 15 degrees in boxers and a tee shirt in a tent...but as with all bags, you got to have a pad that's rated as low as the bag or you'll get cold...whether you're in a tent or shelter makes a HUGE difference also.

I agree with you about Marmot. My 0° bag is a Marmot Never Summer, and it, too, is true to rating. I seem to recall that I found the Long on sale for less than $300 at the end of the season. I know that I've awakened, toasty, in the bag with the thermometer reading 8°F inside the tent. It's a little on the heavy side, but I've not been ready to take the plunge for 800+ fill power.

If your pad is inflatable, you need a second pad in winter for safety. Maybe you can patch a leak, but you can't do anything about a tear. In winter I use the same ProLite that I use the rest of the year, with a blue foam from XYZ-Mart and maybe a piece of Reflectix under it. (Southerners, feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. Winter is serious business Up North.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • WM Alpinlite (20deg) and I love the puppy so far. Just make sure you fluff them out really good if they have been compressed in the bottom of a backpack but that's any sleeping bag. So far the temp ratings are about right and I'm a cold sleeper.

I have also kept a Cat's Meow 20deg which is more like a 30-35deg bag and the friend just picked up a Marmot Sawtooth and loves it. Most of the new bags are fantastic and I'd love to try that Montbell myself.

If you only camp 3-4 times a year it's hard to justify that much in a bag but a few of us camp 15 out of every 30 weekends and the quality gear pays for itself.

LIhikers wrote:

I'd love to have real winter bag by them but I cant justify, to myself, the cost for just a few nights a year.
      But Paul, I have had my WM Puma for 10 years. I use it from mid Oct to April. Maybe 10 nights or more! Good gear lasts so you use it longer. I'm sure you have some old expensive tools in your box!
      I broke down and ordered a Western Mountaineering Puma about a week ago, it came today.
      I opened the box and looked at it but had to leave for work so I haven't actually touched it yet.
      The thing is rated at -25, 25 below zero F, so bring on winter, I'm ready (I think).
      I got the 6 foot 6 inch version so I have a little extra room to keep stuff warm in my bag.
      I may have a few days off next week so I may get to try it sooner rather than later :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I broke down and ordered a Western Mountaineering Puma about a week ago, it came today.I opened the box and looked at it but had to leave for work so I haven't actually touched it yet.
      The thing is rated at -25, 25 below zero F, so bring on winter, I'm ready (I think).
      I got the 6 foot 6 inch version so I have a little extra room to keep stuff warm in my bag.
      I may have a few days off next week so I may get to try it sooner rather than later :)
      Model it for us.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Today I stuffed my new sleeping bag into the stuff sack it came with.
      It fits into my pack, a Gregory Baltoro 75 if I put the 20 inch by 10 inch sack into the pack vertically.
      Everything less would have to be put in around it.
      I'm considering a compression sack to squeeze it smaller.
      What do you folks think about that idea????
    • LIhikers wrote:

Today I stuffed my new sleeping bag into the stuff sack it came with.
      It fits into my pack, a Gregory Baltoro 75 if I put the 20 inch by 10 inch sack into the pack vertically.
      I would give the stuffsack a squeeze to see what size you can realistically compress the bag down to. If it looks like you can make a meaninful reduction in the size of the packed bag then go ahead and get a compression sack. Putting a down bag in a compression sack for a short time isn't going to hurt it, just don't store it compressed for long periods.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Today I stuffed my new sleeping bag into the stuff sack it came with.
      I would give the stuffsack a squeeze to see what size you can realistically compress the bag down to. If it looks like you can make a meaninful reduction in the size of the packed bag then go ahead and get a compression sack. Putting a down bag in a compression sack for a short time isn't going to hurt it, just don't store it compressed for long periods.
      I can easily compress it smaller, and I certainly wouldn't leave it that way.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

That's what I do with my winter bag. Suprisingly I found a Outdoor Product one at Walley world. It reduces the volume by roughly 33%.
      After the apparent summer rush on gear, I found Wallyworld had 2 sizes of compression bags. A black nylon bag and a sort of clear plastic bag. The nylon bag is slightly longer and took my fiberfill sleeping bag no problem. I'll use the plastic bag as a bear bag. The plastic open bag end rolls over and has a clip to close it.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • First report on the new sleeping bag.
      Kathy and I set up a tent, without the fly, in the backyard and slept outside last night.
      When we climbed in at 11:15PM the temperature was in the mid 30s.
      We woke up to a light layer of ice on the tent this morning, so it must have gone below freezing for a while.
      I wore a very light base layer of clothes, long underwear and long sleeve shirt.
      When I woke up in the morning I was a bit sweaty.
      I didn't have the hood or chest baffle strings adjusted down, they were both loose as could be.
      We're going to sleep out there again tonight but I guess I'll just have to wait for some cold weather for a better test.
    • If I zipped it up, I would have to do that. I got mine in Feburary. I cowboyed on our deck, I was in lgs , I had it zipped up, I unzipped the bottom zipper, and sweat all night. I have never zipped it past my waist since.... Ever. I mostly use it as a blanket.......... But I am extremely hot blooded to start with. :evil:

With that said, who is up for MLK IV?

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• CoachLou wrote:

If I zipped it up, I would have to do that. I got mine in Feburary. I cowboyed on our deck, I was in lgs , I had it zipped up, I unzipped the bottom zipper, and sweat all night. I have never zipped it past my waist since.... Ever. I mostly use it as a blanket.......... But I am extremely hot blooded to start with. :evil:

Count me in for MLK... I was unable to attend the past 2 years, but this year Im making sure I make it!
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

If I zipped it up, I would have to do that. I got mine in Feburary. I cowboyed on our deck, I was in lgs , I had it zipped up, I unzipped the bottom zipper, and sweat all night. I have never zipped it past my waist since.... Ever. I mostly use it as a blanket.......... But I am extremely hot blooded to start with. :evil:

Count me in for MLK... I was unable to attend the past 2 years, but this year Im making sure I make it!

LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

............... who is up for MLK IV?
      I'm ready for more of OV's cheesecake :D If we're talking Jan. 15, 16, 17,+18 I'll have to check at work to see if anyone else has those days off.
      Excellent, gif.013.gif I will start the ball rolling...........Harriman has so many spots.....I figure to stay there.
    • CoachLou wrote:

My WM HighLite is 35* so I spent most of the summer just sleeping on top of it. I sure when I get to the Whites next summer I will get a chance to fully utilize it.

Wish did not have to travel so far, or I would be definitely want to be part of the MLK IV hike.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General