Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Western Mountaneering Bags

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoachLou wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

If I zipped it up, I would have to do that. I got mine in Feburary. I cowboyed on our deck, I was in lgs , I had it zipped up, I unzipped the bottom zipper, and sweat all night. I have never zipped it past my waist since.... Ever. I mostly use it as a blanket.......... But I am extremely hot blooded to start with. :evil:

With that said, who is up for MLK IV?
      Count me in for MLK... I was unable to attend the past 2 years, but this year Im making sure I make it!

LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

............... who is up for MLK IV?
      I'm ready for more of OV's cheesecake :D If we're talking Jan. 15, 16, 17,+18 I'll have to check at work to see if anyone else has those days off.
      Excellent, gif.013.gif I will start the ball rolling...........Harriman has so many spots.....I figure to stay there.
      This should probably have it's own thread
    • CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I think Oz has the Mighty Lite........ I must have one
      Can't remember the name. I think that's it. Light green, semi rectangular, 40 degree bag. I have the long one, 6'6" or 7'. Not sure but the longest. IM and Army have identical ones.
      I don't need the long one............I need the wide one! :rolleyes:
      I can relate to that. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I think Oz has the Mighty Lite........ I must have one
      Can't remember the name. I think that's it. Light green, semi rectangular, 40 degree bag. I have the long one, 6'6" or 7'. Not sure but the longest. IM and Army have identical ones.
      I don't need the long one............I need the wide one! :rolleyes:
      That's what she said. =O
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Gave the bag it's second try last night.
      With the exception of the fact that I wore less clothes, everything else was the same as the night before..
      Woke up in the morning slightly sweaty and warmer than I needed to be.
      I can't wait for it to be in the teens or colder over night, I'll test it again.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Gave the bag it's second try last night.
      With the exception of the fact that I wore less clothes, everything else was the same as the night before..
      I can't wait for it to be in the teens or colder over night, I'll test it again.
      I'm a firm believer that if the bag is right you should sleep in as few clothes as possible. When hiking I sleep in t shirt (150 or 200 merino not worn when hiking) and boxers. If my bag is on limits I may put on my cleanest socks and a beanie. I believe the bag needs the heat coming off your body to work properly. Wearing too much when in your bag prevents its proper functioning. If you're cold bring clothes etc into the bag with you to reduce the volume of air trapped in the bag. Shove some at foot end especially.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm a firm believer that if the bag is right you should sleep in as few clothes as possible. When hiking I sleep in t shirt (150 or 200 merino not worn when hiking) and boxers. If my bag is on limits I may put on my cleanest socks and a beanie. I believe the bag needs the heat coming off your body to work properly. Wearing too much when in your bag prevents its proper functioning. If you're cold bring clothes etc into the bag with you to reduce the volume of air trapped in the bag. Shove some at foot end especially.
      I agree with this completely, But I always wear socks to bed unless it's real hot out. but everyone is a little different in that regard.
    • OzJacko wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm now a believer when I didn't have dry pants to sleep in last night. I noticed how warm my legs were so took my coat off (leaving on a wool shirt and fleece pullover). My upper half didn't get as warm. Still too many clothes? I think the draft coming into the top of the bag kept me chilled.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I also had my small diy quilt and my coat inside my bag. The quilt stayed around my legs and seemed to add to the insulation between me and the ground. Also, I layered my hiking clothes, then a survival blanket, then my pad and sleeping bag. I don't think the survival blanket did much but who knows?
    • A down bag should not have anything on top of it unless it is essentially weightless. Their warmth comes from the feathers and down trapping air. They do this "fluffed up". Extra insulation like a survival blanket underneath where the weight of your body compresses the down is good. A space blanket type flimsy covering can help on top because it won't compress the down, something like a normal blanket or towel is counter productive because it will. Socks and gloves help because your body reduces blood flow to your feet and hands first so you wear them to help keep them warm. The beanie is because of the opposite, the body pumps more blood to the head so you lose more heat there. You keep the rest of your body relatively bare to allow the bag to trap the heat it is generating.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I always fluff my quilt up to get that loft back after it's been stuffed in the bottom of my pack all day. I sleep in shorts and tshirt unless its real cold and then its silk long johns with socks and beenie and liner gloves.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Gave my Western Mountaineering Puma a test to the next level last night.
      Since the forecast was for -3 degrees F. with a pretty good wind, we set up our tent in the backyard.
      I wore a light base layer so as to keep the bag clean more than to stay warm and a nice pair of fluffy socks.
      Getting the zipper up took a bit of work because of the loft of the bag but once it was closed I started to warm up right away.
      Within just a few minutes I was very comfortable and fell asleep.
      I woke up a couple times during the night and was snug as a bug in a rug, as the saying goes.
      If I had to sum up the experience I'd say "nice".
      All of a sudden I'm not feeling bad about spending so much on the bag.
      :thumbsup:
    • Nice, good test. I've been in mine in the single digets, but I can't say in the minuses. I would have to say, at 3am on MLK2 at Brien shelter camp....that was probably the coldest I've been in it. When the wind picked up and I zipped it almost all the way up, I was feeling sorry for all you folks out there without a Puma. I didn't feel that bad for you Paul.....with the tent, Kathy and Tora! :D
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

Gave my Western Mountaineering Puma a test to the next level last night.
      Since the forecast was for -3 degrees F. with a pretty good wind, we set up our tent in the backyard.
      I wore a light base layer so as to keep the bag clean more than to stay warm and a nice pair of fluffy socks.
      Getting the zipper up took a bit of work because of the loft of the bag but once it was closed I started to warm up right away.
      I woke up a couple times during the night and was snug as a bug in a rug, as the saying goes.
      I love that feeling when you realize expensive gear you have invested in well worth it. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Gave my Western Mountaineering Puma a test to the next level last night.
      I love that feeling when you realize expensive gear you have invested in well worth it. :thumbup:
      I just wish I'd done more of it and less of the other.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I gave my bag its second cold weather test last night with temperatures in the mid single digits above zero
      I woke up at one point feeling cold with my feet. It turns out I had my feet against the wall of the tent, compressing the loft. Once I slid myself off the wall my feet warmed right up. Lesson learned; don't compress the down while you're in the bag.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• LIhikers wrote:

I gave my bag its second cold weather test last night with temperatures in the mid single digits above zero
      I woke up at one point feeling cold with my feet. It turns out I had my feet against the wall of the tent, compressing the loft. Once I slid myself off the wall my feet warmed right up. Lesson learned; down compress the down while you're in the bag.
      Will tossing and turning prevent the down from lofting appropriately?
    • Compression of down will cause it to lose (most of) it's effectiveness. Turning within the bag would affect it little. Turning with the bag would. It's one of the reasons I like a semi rectangular bag with room to turn within it. It is also a reason a restless sleeper may do well to look at quilt options. I think if I was out in the kind of weather you guys get I would get a quilt to put over my 40 degree bag. I like my bag here because when it's too warm (yes my 40 degree bag is often too warm here nah nah nah), I can open it somewhat and use it like a quilt with the ability to vent some of the heat.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I gave my bag its second cold weather test last night with temperatures in the mid single digits above zero
      I woke up at one point feeling cold with my feet. It turns out I had my feet against the wall of the tent, compressing the loft. Once I slid myself off the wall my feet warmed right up. Lesson learned; down compress the down while you're in the bag.
      My guess is yes it does. I'm a tosser and turner by nature. That's the reason my 3 season bag is a Montbell Super Stretch, Ultralight 25. It stretches and moves with me. I have to will myself to lay on my back. All of my bags can be used as a quilt, with a footbox, if unzipped, as OzJacko suggests.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It'll loft right back up but you forced warmed air out and cold air in with movement.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Nice, good test. I've been in mine in the single digets, but I can't say in the minuses. I would have to say, at 3am on MLK2 at Brien shelter camp....that was probably the coldest I've been in it. When the wind picked up and I zipped it almost all the way up, I was feeling sorry for all you folks out there without a Puma. I didn't feel that bad for you Paul.....with the tent, Kathy and Tora! :D
      I was toasty in my Marmot Never Summer on both MLK2 behind Brien shelter and MLK3 on the Friday night at Big Hill (it got down to -3 or so). My issue with cold weather - that I've never yet found a good solution for - is that I'll turn over in my sleep and bury my face in the hood of the bag. If I sleep that way any length of time it gets a LOT of condensation from that, but since I do it in my sleep, it's hard to break the habit.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Nice, good test. I've been in mine in the single digets, but I can't say in the minuses. I would have to say, at 3am on MLK2 at Brien shelter camp....that was probably the coldest I've been in it. When the wind picked up and I zipped it almost all the way up, I was feeling sorry for all you folks out there without a Puma. I didn't feel that bad for you Paul.....with the tent, Kathy and Tora! :D
      I was toasty in my Marmot Never Summer on both MLK2 behind Brien shelter and MLK3 on the Friday night at Big Hill (it got down to -3 or so). My issue with cold weather - that I've never yet found a good solution for - is that I'll turn over in my sleep and bury my face in the hood of the bag. If I sleep that way any length of time it gets a LOT of condensation from that, but since I do it in my sleep, it's hard to break the habit.
      Quilt without a hood then wear a separate down hood.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

My issue with cold weather - that I've never yet found a good solution for - is that I'll turn over in my sleep and bury my face in the hood of the bag. If I sleep that way any length of time it gets a LOT of condensation from that, but since I do it in my sleep, it's hard to break the habit.
      That's what I do in warmer temps - arrange my bag over me like a quilt. I don't think I'd trust a quilt in deep winter. Maybe if I were a hammock hanger, where the UQ surrounds you, but on the ground, I've got a feeling it would be drafty. In any case, I'm not sure it'd work. I wake up at home with the bedclothes over my face, too.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Rasty wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I'll get one of these before another winter but my down jacket worked well this week end at 23*, just pulled the sleeves into the TQ and used the jacket as a hood.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It'll loft right back up but you forced warmed air out and cold air in with movement.

A.T.Lt wrote:

I tend to sleep warm, so sometimes won't cinch down the hood all the way. But I toss and turn a lot, which causes warm air to escape. Thats what Ive found at least.
      What they said. It has been my experience as well.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Kathy and I are putting our packs together for an overnighter starting tomorrow.
      It's the first time I've put the Western Mountaineering Puma into my pack.
      It's in the stuff sack it came with and then I put this set of compression straps on the thing.
      It takes up about 1/2 the space in my 75 liter Gregory pack.
      It's really going to be too warm for this sleeping bag, but I'm dyeing to use the thing someplace other than my yard
      :)
    • Just packed my WM Highlite in my Circuit for starting the Ozark Highlands Trail in the morning. Hoping it does not get much below 30. If I took my 20* bag that would have been 3 more pounds, plus an extra half pound for needing to take the Catalyst pack.

I love having a 16 ounce bag, as long as it keeps me warm enough. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Just packed my WM Highlite in my Circuit for starting the Ozark Highlands Trail in the morning. Hoping it does not get much below 30. If I took my 20* bag that would have been 3 more pounds, plus an extra half pound for needing to take the Catalyst pack.

I love having a 16 ounce bag, as long as it keeps me warm enough. :)
      I can get my 0° quilt and 40° sleeping bag in my circuit. What 20° bag do you have?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Kelty Light Year from at least 5 years ago when I started hiking. It is more the weight that I trying to avoid (4 pounds). With only 4 days of food I guess I could have fit it in the circuit (usually 6 or 7 days).
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Kelty Light Year from at least 5 years ago when I started hiking. It is more the weight that I trying to avoid (4 pounds). With only 4 days of food I guess I could have fit it in the circuit (usually 6 or 7 days).
      That is a large bag.
      From back in the early days when I was more price than weight conscious. :)