Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mountain Crossings Hostel at Neels Gap

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mountain Crossings Hostel at Neels Gap

After being closed for the last 3 years becasue of Covid, the Hostel at Mountain Crossings has decided to reopen. $35 a night. Plus whatever you spend on new gear while you're there. :) Poular place to stay as you literally walk thru the joint as you hike the AT.
      2,000 miler
    • A decade ago I opined that one really doesn't need a hostel after only 30 miles and it would probably make sense to save your money and bypass the hostel at Mountain Crossings.

Proving that I'm out of touch with todays hikers, after I said that the "Above the Clouds" hostel opened 1.5 miles down the road from Woody Gap at mile marker 20. It's full every night during thru hiker season.
      2,000 miler
    • Pushed hard to get to Mountain Crossings on the second day of my Georgia section hike. Winton closed early - no Coke for me. :cursing:

I forget what I paid in 2008 but it wasn't offensive. The shower felt good.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Pushed hard to get to Mountain Crossings on the second day of my Georgia section hike. Winton closed early - no Coke for me. :cursing:

I forget what I paid in 2008 but it wasn't offensive. The shower felt good.
      A shower and food you don't get out of your pack are always good after a few days or more in the woods.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Da Wolf wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Unless they've significantly upgraded the hostel, there's no freaking way it's worth $35/night. I stayed there in 2013; what a dirty hole of a place.
      yeah. it's a dungeon. for $35 you get a bunk and shower and zero privacy
      I haven't been there since just after George bought the place in 2013. Did they make any upgrades after buying it from Winton?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Sarcasmtheelf wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Unless they've significantly upgraded the hostel, there's no freaking way it's worth $35/night. I stayed there in 2013; what a dirty hole of a place.
      yeah. it's a dungeon. for $35 you get a bunk and shower and zero privacy
      I haven't been there since just after George bought the place in 2013. Did they make any upgrades after buying it from Winton?
      i was there 6 months ago helping a friend move there for work. the hostel did not look like any upgrades had been done
    • LIhikers wrote:

Resupplying every 3 days seems like you'd spend a lot of time going in and out of towns.
      Not really. Slingshot and I became masters at hitchhiking to town, eating breakfast, resupply, grabbing lunch to go with beers, and sometimes laundry or showers and back on trail in 2-3 hours and still hike a 12 mile day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Resupplying every 3 days seems like you'd spend a lot of time going in and out of towns.
      Not really. Slingshot and I became masters at hitchhiking to town, eating breakfast, resupply, grabbing lunch to go with beers, and sometimes laundry or showers and back on trail in 2-3 hours and still hike a 12 mile day.
      Most of my 10 year section hike I still had 4 childen living at home. So to save money I usually went close to a week between going into to town to save money. Never took a zero until the last year at Genetian Pond.

Now in my 60s with an empty nest, If I do get to thruhike the AT in the next few years, I plan to do more town resupply stops similar to what JimmyJam describes. Enjoying showers and prepared food much more. :)
    • On the PCT I am often a full week week (or more) between resupplies. Showers and Hot Meals are certainly welcome at that point. Problem is that after a week of trail food, rich town food can often lead to explosive results. This has cost me extra days in town while I wait for things to 'settle down.'

I do plan on section hiking the AT at some point. I think the more frequent resupplies and town food will be a great benefit for me. I am happy sleeping in the woods, but I need my pizza and beer :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

On the PCT I am often a full week week (or more) between resupplies. Showers and Hot Meals are certainly welcome at that point. Problem is that after a week of trail food, rich town food can often lead to explosive results. This has cost me extra days in town while I wait for things to 'settle down.'

I do plan on section hiking the AT at some point. I think the more frequent resupplies and town food will be a great benefit for me. I am happy sleeping in the woods, but I need my pizza and beer :)
      Never been out for more than just under 7 weeks. I could tell near the end of that trip that my lactose tolerance for pizza was continuing to go down. :S
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I prefer 5-7 days pertsonally. done 10 & that reall sucked.
      I did about ten on the JMT and since everything had to fit within my Bear Canister, I went the last two days without food. That actually worked out well, since the last two days were also within the Whitney 'Wag Bag' Zone. :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I don't think I've ever had to carry more than 5 days. Recently it's just been 4. I did a 5 day hike last year, but the first night was camping by Phantom Ranch and I took advantage of the dinner and breakfast.
      This summer I hope to do six nights/7 days at Isle Royale. Even with the lodge/restaurant and store at at arrival and departure good for one day of meals (and beer), it will be my longest carry ever. But with more experience, I'm getting better at not over-packing food. One thing about IRNP, there is no hitchhiking into town. You only options are to hike back to the lodge or yogi off a guy with a really big boat.