Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Stecoah Gap Bridge

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gee... I was just there yesterday. They have the area torn up pretty good. Hard to imagine what it will look like when Route 143 is three lanes and the hiker / beast bridge is complete.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• IMScotty wrote:

They need one of these at the Palisades Parkway NY as you approach Bear Mountain.
      I would agree, probably more of a danger crossing the road there than the bear problem at Fingerboard.

In July I did enjoy the AC and cool Gatorade in the gift shop between the lanes. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

They need one of these at the Palisades Parkway NY as you approach Bear Mountain.
      The AT has been rerouted there so you no longer have to do a mad dash across the parkway. You get to cross over it on an existing road on an overpass.
      If I do get to do a Thru-hike in 2025 it will interesting to see how many things like this have changed. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

The AT has been rerouted there so you no longer have to do a mad dash across the parkway. You get to cross over it on an existing road on an overpass.
      LIHikers,
      I thought this was considered a temporary reroute. I think it is outside the official corridor. Have you heard they are working to make it permanent?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIHikers,I thought this was considered a temporary reroute. I think it is outside the official corridor. Have you heard they are working to make it permanent?
      I'm not sure if it's considered temporary or not but I think it's a good change. The trail portion of the change is within the bounds of Harriman State Park and/or Anthony Wayne recreation area. The overpass is already used by hikers so there's no difference for AT hikers. Maybe it's considered temporary until the corridor can be officially negotiated and changed. We'll have to wait and see.
    • I once had a coworker who used say nothing is more temporary than that which is permanent, and nothing is more permanent than that which is temporary. ;)

Of course not always true, but seems more than you would think.
    • LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIHikers,I thought this was considered a temporary reroute. I think it is outside the official corridor. Have you heard they are working to make it permanent?
      I'm not sure if it's considered temporary or not but I think it's a good change. The trail portion of the change is within the bounds of Harriman State Park and/or Anthony Wayne recreation area. The overpass is already used by hikers so there's no difference for AT hikers. Maybe it's considered temporary until the corridor can be officially negotiated and changed. We'll have to wait and see.
      The downside of the reroute is it pulls the trail farther away from West Mountain shelter.
      Per the NY/NJ Trail Conference:"This temporary detour is in effect until a permanent route is determined by State Park staff."
      nynjtc.org/trail-alerts/AT-PIPDetour
      its all good