Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MLK Hike - 2023

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MLK Hike - 2023

Looks like most of the regulars who have gotten together for an MLK weekend hike have other plans that weekend this year. In my case an opportunity to visit my oldest daughter with my wife is winning out.

Steven 'Laz' Lazarus is researching some other options. He suggested we get together one of the following weekends (the 21st or 28th). Since it looks like Laz, myself and I think Coach Lou are interested, he is looking into locations convenient to us around Central CT/ MA. Bigelow Hollow State forest seems to meet the bill providing shelters, winter camping and loop trails.

We figured we would plan the date and details a little last minute to try to find a weekend with good weather. We have done subzero. We have done ice storms. It is time to see what a nice winter weekend can be like :)

I am creating this thread to see if others are interested in joining us, or if there are better ideas. LIHikers, I know that this is more of a drive for the two of you, but it should be a fun time as always. Anyone else interested?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • 1azarus wrote:

I just saw your paperwork offer, lou- right after I called in the reservation and emailed it in- so... we're all set for either the 21st or the 28th. Both are reserved!
      Which shelter did you reserve for Laz?

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

Are we talking about Bigelow Hollow State Park in CT. ? And what nights are the reservations for?
      Yes, Bigelow Hollow.
      Laz has arranged for either weekend, the weekend of the 21st or 28th. We will see how the weather plays out.
      I don't think there is any snow there, at least yet.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • BillyGr wrote:

That is actually good advice for everyone, given how often they change dramatically even over just a couple days!

Not that bad weather necessarily means a trip can't happen, just easier when it isn't an issue.
      We have postponed this walk a few times, mainly 'cause of freezing rain or a polar vortex. We started this 'cause we old guyz had to get out of the house and couldn't wait for spring!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Laz, I'm not sure anyone does :)

Next weekend still looks nice in the forecast though.
      I like your plan.
      Monday I might be on the road so not able to respond till Tuesday.
      Agree the by Wednesday we need to make it definite.

Scott

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'd say go for the first weekend with a good forecast.

What nights are people planning to be at the park?
      Good question,
      I'll be there Sat morning for sure, but if Friday goes well for me I might be able to get there by Friday evening.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it that weekend. I'll have to wait until later in the week to see one way or the other.
      Hopeful LIHikers will make it.

And are you camping this weekend? The wind tonight chilled me to the bone. I'm staying with my daughter in Queens tonight.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it that weekend. I'll have to wait until later in the week to see one way or the other.
      Hopeful LIHikers will make it.
      And are you camping this weekend? The wind tonight chilled me to the bone. I'm staying with my daughter in Queens tonight.
      Yep, loading our stuff into the car now ( 1pm) and will be headed to Harriman state park shortly.
    • LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Hopeful LIHikers will make it.And are you camping this weekend? The wind tonight chilled me to the bone. I'm staying with my daughter in Queens tonight.
      Yep, loading our stuff into the car now ( 1pm) and will be headed to Harriman state park shortly.
      Great, it's a much nicer day today.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I went to sleep Sunday night thinking to hike at LBJ National Grasslands. I got up and told wife I was hiking and doing orienteering work up there. I drove the hour and started hiking at 10:30. I did a little over 9 miles. I went off a few places pulling down left over streamers the hunters left up. I also went to 7 of our orienteering places to check them, hang our ribbons and take a look for some places where we might use for our event. It was a long but productive day. The FS is still planning a burn one/near the section our event is on. I can only hope they do that SOON as our event is in 11 days. I've orienteered in smouldering controlled burns and it's interesting. But who needs soot up to our waist and lungs full of soot......
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Kathy and I made our MLK weekend overnighter. We arrived at the Johnstown Circle parking area of Harriman State Park at about 3PM, put on our packs, and hiked in to the Dutch Doctor shelter. It's about a mile and a half walk on the white bar trail so we arrived while it was still light out. We scouted out a place to set up our tent and found a very nice piece of flat ground with no rocks that wasn't frozen, so it was easy to get in the tent stakes. After setting up camp we cooked dinner and had a nice hot dinner. It was about 40 degrees when we first arrived at camp but the temperature was dropping fast once the sun went down. After chit chatting a bit we decided that we might as well climb into our sleeping bags. We didn't have our winter bags with us, but instead our Montbell bags that are rated at 25 degrees. I believe that's a survival rating as we bought them before having a comfort rating was in practice. But, with a bit of extra clothing, I've used mine into the teens. I was plenty warm enough, except for my feet, they were very cold despite having on 2 pair of heavy, wool socks. I spent the night thinking I should look into battery operated, heated, socks. And if not that, I should bring at least a couple of the chemical toe warmers. On one of my nightly trips to answer the call of nature I checked and saw that the thermometer read 21 degrees, and there was a pretty good breeze blowing. While laying awake my mind came up with calling this trip my Froze Toes camp out.

Once the sun came up Kathy and I started talking about where we wanted to hike but decided to wait to make that decision until we were looking at the map. We laid in bed for a while longer waiting for the temperature to go up a bit more. Once we got out of our sleeping bags, we changed into the clothes we'd start hiking in, broke camp, and went over to the shelter to have breakfast. It blocked the wind and gave us a place to sit. While eating our oatmeal, doctored with dried fruit, we examined the map of the park trails and decided on a loop that would end back at our car. After one final hot drink we set off hiking. We continued on the white bar trail to the red dot trail. We then followed the red dot trail up and over Black Ash Mountain. As we started the descent from Black Ass Mnt. we decided to take a lunch break and a bit of a rest. Not too long though as it was still quite breezy and even though the temperature was about 40, it still felt chilly. At least my feet had warmed up from all of the walking, that was a welcome relief. After lunch we went down to the Victory Trail. That followed the edge of a swamp and we had to be careful not to get our feet wet in one of the many puddles. That took us to the White Cross Trail which was strewn with rocks of every size and shape. So much so that having a flat spot to put your foot down on became like a luxury, making for tired ankles. We followed the crosses until we came to the red bar trail and follower that bake to the trail we had started on, the white bar trail. This time we went in the other direction and got to our car just as the day's light turned into night's darkness. There we changed into clean clothes, drove to the town of Sloatsburg where we got some absolutely horrible pizza from the local pizzeria, and a cup of coffee from Dunkin Doughnuts. Now all that was left of the Froze Toes campout was to take a relaxed ride home.

Just a note to the locals who might hike Harriman in the near future, water was flowing everywhere and should be plentiful for quite a while. Also there are now bear cables at Dutch Doctor as well as Fingerboard, William Brien, and Tom Jones shelters. I don't know about the others.
    • leaving out the details on my late last night stomach distress... I'm not sure I'll be able to make this Saturday night, and would now vote for next Saturday- but would understand you guys opting for this Saturday... and will keep my fingers crossed that I'm recovered enough to join you should you go sooner than later!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • Laz,
      Sorry to hear that. We want you there, so I would be happy to postpone for a week if that helps.
      Let's see how you feel Friday morning and make a decision then?
      What say you Coach Lou?

S

John Greenleaf Whittier