Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mount Washington Winter Lion Head Trail Decent

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mount Washington Winter Lion Head Trail Decent

Thinking about hiking Mount Washington later this month. Wish there were a way to stay at the top instead of needing to immediately turn around. For time planning, is it ever safe to bring a small sled and sled down the trails? I have heard of people skiing.
    • HikAllOver,

I'll be blunt and say the idea of sledding down LionsHead is just crazy talk to me. :)

People do ski Tuckermans Ravine by hiking up it. The danger here is not to be taken lightly.

There are educational opportunities to stay with the scientists at the top of Mount Washington, but it is not a hotel. I do not think this can be done as part of a hike.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • hikallover wrote:

Thinking about hiking Mount Washington later this month. Wish there were a way to stay at the top instead of needing to immediately turn around. For time planning, is it ever safe to bring a small sled and sled down the trails? I have heard of people skiing.
      What is your experience level with winter hiking in dangerous terrain / conditions?
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • hikallover wrote:

Not sure of your experience level, but if you don't have the gear already, it would seem you haven't done much winter mountaineering. Mt Washington is no joke almost anytime of year, but winter conditions can be deadly, if you're not adequately prepared, and has taken the lives of some very experienced mountaineers. Tuck's ravine isn't exactly the bunny slope, more for highly experienced skiers. I would not recommend attempting to sled down.
      outdoors.org/resources/amc-out…-death-of-kate-matrosova/
      its all good
    • Well usually there's always a push-back on new entrants to a profession or sport so thanks. If I die of cold I die of cold. If I die of boredom and fear of the outdoor weather I die of boredom and fear of the outdoor weather. I have done plenty of long hikes and could do this one with preparations, which is what I was doing. Unfortunately I was unable to know my availability for December in advance so I found myself considering it at the last minute. Most likely now it will be next winter. After seeing more maps and photos no way to sled down the trail.

The post was edited 2 times, last by hikallover ().