Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2023

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking Plans 2023

My turn to start the hiking plan thread for this year again!

Last year I was able to convince my wife it was a good idea for me to take a week to hike the Grand Canyon in late April/early May.
      Since I did not die on that trip, this year, I'm thinking I should be able to plan a hike for July or early August.
      I'm thinking either 100 mile wilderness or Isle Royale NP.

I've been to IR 35 years ago, but only for day hiking (we stayed at the lodge).
      About 12 years ago I drove through ME en route to Quebec, staying one night at a B&B on the coast - no hiking.

The logistics of planning IR are easy. I would drive to Houghton and take the float plane RT from there. Other than the flight, no advance reservations are necessary.

As for 100 mile wilderness, that will take more planning. Since lots of permits are needed for BSP, I'm thinking it would be easier to start there and hike south. Also, I would like to hike the knife edge as I remember when I was a kid, my dad backpacked BSP, including the knife edge. I thought it sounded amazing so I've always wanted to do that too. To include that in the trip, it looks like I would need a permit at Chimney Pond for the first night, and then do a traverse of Katahdin the next day. Would a permit for a second night Katahdin Stream or Daicey Pond also be necessary or is it reasonable to get to Abol Bridge on day two? I believe it is more traditional to hike up and down the Hunt trail on one day, get a permit for the first night at Katahdin Stream, and hike out on the next day. I'm a little confused about the BSP rules. As a SOBO AT hiker, it this the process I would have to follow? Also it says all AT hikers must get a permit in person at the Katahdin Stream ranger station before summiting, but how would one do that if doing a N to S traverse from Chimney Pond? Are there other options? Also, I would probably want to arrange a food drop (or two?). I see that Shaw's in Monson can do that. I'm wondering how many days should I plan on for the Abol Bridge to Monson section? Does Shaw's require reservations too?

Tips appreciated.
    • Take the extra day after summiting Katahdin. getting up and down Katahdin is a very long day, and hiking out will just exhaust you before you've even started. Arrange a food drop at jo mary rd in the 100 mile wilderness with either Shaws or 100 mile wilderness camps out of Monson, or ATLodge in Millinocket(under new owners now).Yes you can get a permit for chimney pond and another at KSC.I did the knife edge many years ago, and wouldn't do it unless the weather is perfect.The Hunt trail is just as difficult going down as up.
      its all good
    • odd man out wrote:

My turn to start the hiking plan thread for this year again!...............................................................................

As for 100 mile wilderness, that will take more planning. Since lots of permits are needed for BSP, I'm thinking it would be easier to start there and hike south. Also, I would like to hike the knife edge as I remember when I was a kid, my dad backpacked BSP, including the knife edge. I thought it sounded amazing so I've always wanted to do that too. To include that in the trip, it looks like I would need a permit at Chimney Pond for the first night, and then do a traverse of Katahdin the next day. Would a permit for a second night Katahdin Stream or Daicey Pond also be necessary or is it reasonable to get to Abol Bridge on day two? I believe it is more traditional to hike up and down the Hunt trail on one day, get a permit for the first night at Katahdin Stream, and hike out on the next day. I'm a little confused about the BSP rules. As a SOBO AT hiker, it this the process I would have to follow? Also it says all AT hikers must get a permit in person at the Katahdin Stream ranger station before summiting, but how would one do that if doing a N to S traverse from Chimney Pond? Are there other options? Also, I would probably want to arrange a food drop (or two?). I see that Shaw's in Monson can do that. I'm wondering how many days should I plan on for the Abol Bridge to Monson section? Does Shaw's require reservations too?

Tips appreciated.
      OMO,
      First, know that BSP has a web site, with map, that does a pretty good job explaining everything about the park.
      As for camping in the park you don't need permits (except at The Birches), everyplace else requires a reservation.
      Abol bridge is about a 10 mile hike from the Katahdin Stream Campground, it would be too much for me to do in the same day as hiking the mountain. At Abol bridge there are several options for camping there. There's a state operated campground for a few dollars a night, there's a commercial campground that I don't know anything about, or you could go into the 100 mile wilderness, just past the bridge, and find yourself a place to camp . As for food drops in the 100 Mile I like the way that the A.T. Lodge, in Millinocket, does it better than Shaw's. It's my understanding that for Shaw's you have to meet them at a road crossing at a certain day and time to get your drop. AT Lodge gives you a 5 gallon bucket, with a sealable lid to put your stuff in. Then they leave it at a certain place and you get it whenever you get there. After removing your food, you put in your garbage, put the lid back on and return the bucket to their drop spot. That way there's no pressure to be at a certain place at a specific time. There are some ups and downs in the 100 Mile but nothing comparing to Katahdin so I don't know how long it might take you. I think Kathy and I did it in 9 days, thru hikers do it in less. Get the map and make your plans. What I can tell you is that we really enjoyed the 100 mile wilderness. Water was never a problem and there were some absolutely beautiful spots and great views. Reservations for Shaw's would be a good idea as the place is very popular, but, if you just show up and there's no beds left they'll let you put up your tent in the yard. All the amenities are there, shower, laundry, clothes to wear while yours are in the laundry, a hearty breakfast (for an additional fee) and a couple for stores in town to purchase food. Both Shaw's and the A.T. Lodge will do shuttles if you need.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

PS: I just saw HikerBoy's post that says the AT Lodge is under new ownership so give them a call for what they'll do now.
    • LIhikers wrote:

odd man out wrote:

My turn to start the hiking plan thread for this year again!...............................................................................

Tips appreciated.
      OMO,First, know that BSP has a web site, with map, that does a pretty good job explaining everything about the park.
      As for camping in the park you don't need permits (except at The Birches), everyplace else requires a reservation.
      Abol bridge is about a 10 mile hike from the Katahdin Stream Campground, it would be too much for me to do in the same day as hiking the mountain. At Abol bridge there are several options for camping there. There's a state operated campground for a few dollars a night, there's a commercial campground that I don't know anything about, or you could go into the 100 mile wilderness, just past the bridge, and find yourself a place to camp . As for food drops in the 100 Mile I like the way that the A.T. Lodge, in Millinocket, does it better than Shaw's. It's my understanding that for Shaw's you have to meet them at a road crossing at a certain day and time to get your drop. AT Lodge gives you a 5 gallon bucket, with a sealable lid to put your stuff in. Then they leave it at a certain place and you get it whenever you get there. After removing your food, you put in your garbage, put the lid back on and return the bucket to their drop spot. That way there's no pressure to be at a certain place at a specific time. There are some ups and downs in the 100 Mile but nothing comparing to Katahdin so I don't know how long it might take you. I think Kathy and I did it in 9 days, thru hikers do it in less. Get the map and make your plans. What I can tell you is that we really enjoyed the 100 mile wilderness. Water was never a problem and there were some absolutely beautiful spots and great views. Reservations for Shaw's would be a good idea as the place is very popular, but, if you just show up and there's no beds left they'll let you put up your tent in the yard. All the amenities are there, shower, laundry, clothes to wear while yours are in the laundry, a hearty breakfast (for an additional fee) and a couple for stores in town to purchase food. Both Shaw's and the A.T. Lodge will do shuttles if you need.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

PS: I just saw HikerBoy's post that says the AT Lodge is under new ownership so give them a call for what they'll do now.
      They will be providing the same services as before. It's now the Appalachian Trail Hostel & Outfitters.
      appalachiantrailhostel.com/
      Images
      • Screenshot_20221128_191840.jpg

93.19 kB, 334×600, viewed 88 times
      its all good

The post was edited 1 time, last by hikerboy ().

• Astro wrote:

What worked best for me on Mt Katahdin was to go up the AT (Hunt) and come down Abol. After the rock scramble, Abol Trail is significantly milder.
      I've poured over all the maps and web pages yet a few things are still not clear. If you descend the Abol trail, do you use a local shuttle to get out? This trailhead doesn't see to connect to others? According to the AT Hostel web site, you can not get a shuttle without a camping or day use reservation.
    • My goal for 2023 is first to finish the ~75 miles in and around the Smokies. That will complete my AT section hikes from Springer to Gorham NH. Then if I have time, I'd like to hike from Gorham to at least Grafton Notch to finish New Hampshire.

Vacation time might be tight as my son's wedding is in September. The AT will still be there in 2024. ^^
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

What worked best for me on Mt Katahdin was to go up the AT (Hunt) and come down Abol. After the rock scramble, Abol Trail is significantly milder.
      I've poured over all the maps and web pages yet a few things are still not clear. If you descend the Abol trail, do you use a local shuttle to get out? This trailhead doesn't see to connect to others? According to the AT Hostel web site, you can not get a shuttle without a camping or day use reservation.
      I had Shaw's pick me up as that was where I left my car before starting 100 mile Wilderness.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Taking students to Europe (Scotland, England, Italy, France) for a month in early May to June. And then a trip to Japan to see my son and his new bride, won't leave much of a summer. Probably just Collegiate Loop at end of July after a week or so near NC at the beginning of July. Looking at entire Colorado Trail for 2024. But could pull in if somethings change.

Probably 2023 more trips wife wants and then 2024 try BMT followed by CT. Love pulling the maps out and planning regardless of when I actually get to go. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Please note FarOut (Guthhooks) has 30% right now.

Really helped me this past week on the Ozark Highland Trail with unpopular section of trail covered with leaves. Although with latency still not precise enough, but did make it home. ^^
    • Astro wrote:

Taking students to Europe (Scotland, England, Italy, France) for a month in early May to June. And then a trip to Japan to see my son and his new bride, won't leave much of a summer. Probably just Collegiate Loop at end of July after a week or so near NC at the beginning of July. Looking at entire Colorado Trail for 2024. But could pull in if somethings change.

Probably 2023 more trips wife wants and then 2024 try BMT followed by CT. Love pulling the maps out and planning regardless of when I actually get to go. :)
      Astro, your summer plans sound amazing! It’s true, the trail will always be there, waiting for you. Enjoy every moment, on trail and off.

I was looking at my 2022 hiking log and was shocked to see there were 4 months with no hiking. Then I remembered those months were spent getting in shape for my wonderful GAP cycling trip and what a great experience it was.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Looks like 2023 will be the year I finally do the ICT. Due to the timing of it I have decided to do it SOBO. I posted in a FB group questions about where to fly in & shuttles. In less than an hour I got a reply. So, once things slow down after the NOBO bubble passes in mid July I am going to hop on the train & head out there. Hoping to be out there about two months or so.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Looks like 2023 will be the year I finally do the ICT. Due to the timing of it I have decided to do it SOBO. I posted in a FB group questions about where to fly in & shuttles. In less than an hour I got a reply. So, once things slow down after the NOBO bubble passes in mid July I am going to hop on the train & head out there. Hoping to be out there about two months or so.
      I may still join you. Still working on it.Still checking my schedule for next year and see if I can take the time off.
      its all good

The post was edited 2 times, last by hikerboy ().

• I'm still not 100% committed, but it's been on my ticklist for a while now, and I'm not getting any younger, turning 66 this April.
      When I was at the ALDHA Gatherung, I was hanging out with Sly, who asked if I had any more long trails planned. I told him that the ICT is really the only one still on my tick list. He said if I still planned on doing it, he might drive out and run support for me. A few days after I got home from the weekend, I got a message from Mountain Mike asking if I'd be interested, and I told him about my conversation with Sly. So the omens are all there. Now I just have to arrange the time off and make sure I have no conflicts with my ALDHA duties as a board member.
      I don't know of anyone who has done it SOBO, but fits the "doing it wrong" style I've become comfortable with. I think much depends on snowpack.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

I'm still not 100% committed, but it's been on my ticklist for a while now, and I'm not getting any younger, turning 66 this April.
      When I was at the ALDHA Gatherung, I was hanging out with Sly, who asked if I had any more long trails planned. I told him that the ICT is really the only one still on my tick list. He said if I still planned on doing it, he might drive out and run support for me. A few days after I got home from the weekend, I got a message from Mountain Mike asking if I'd be interested, and I told him about my conversation with Sly. So the omens are all there. Now I just have to arrange the time off and make sure I have no conflicts with my ALDHA duties as a board member.
      I don't know of anyone who has done it SOBO, but fits the "doing it wrong" style I've become comfortable with. I think much depends on snowpack.
      Go for it! :thumbup:

Hard to believe folks at ALDHA would not understand and have your back for that last big hike on your list, when the timing is perfect with everything else. :)
    • Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I'm still not 100% committed, but it's been on my ticklist for a while now, and I'm not getting any younger, turning 66 this April.
      Go for it! :thumbup:
      Hard to believe folks at ALDHA would not understand and have your back for that last big hike on your list, when the timing is perfect with everything else. :)
      For the time I'd be out, we really only have a number of hiker feeds planned, and the Gathering isn't until Colombus day, which should give me ample time. Still working on my boss, though, to give me the time off.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Go for it! :thumbup: Hard to believe folks at ALDHA would not understand and have your back for that last big hike on your list, when the timing is perfect with everything else. :)
      For the time I'd be out, we really only have a number of hiker feeds planned, and the Gathering isn't until Colombus day, which should give me ample time. Still working on my boss, though, to give me the time off.
      If not, they would still probably be happy to have you back when you return. If not, I am sure somebody else would. :)
    • IMScotty wrote:

The whole thing Mountain Mike?
      What are you projecting for that, about a three month hike?
      it's around 900 miles. Thinking 2 1/2 months. I will be doing the wilderness section hike. there are several by-passes to avoid the wilderness areas this the difference in milage. When I gwt closer to starting I will upgrade my Zoleo planto add more check ins & tracking. Map is already programed in my gaia app & have most of the paper maps I need.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

My goal for 2023 is first to finish the ~75 miles in and around the Smokies. That will complete my AT section hikes from Springer to Gorham NH. Then if I have time, I'd like to hike from Gorham to at least Grafton Notch to finish New Hampshire.

Vacation time might be tight as my son's wedding is in September. The AT will still be there in 2024. ^^
      Aw Fiddlesticks!

Smoking Sox done messed up his knee while skiing. Complete tear of the ACL and partial tear of the MCL along with a bone bruise. He's heading to Iceland in June and had a full itinerary of hiking and crampon climbs. It's looking more like a car tour with short hobbles to scenic overlooks.

Surgery to repair the ACL in June after Iceland then four months of PT. We're kicking around doing some day hikes in May or seeing how things look in October.

My motorcycle club is holding a rally in Stecoah at the end of April so I'm going to head down there and knock off the 15 miles between Stecoah Gap and Fontana Dam. Then I plan on making a slight detour on the way to my son's September wedding in Charlotte and hike the 10 miles from Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald. Might end up being a 25-mile year. ;(
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Aw Fiddlesticks!
      Smoking Sox done messed up his knee while skiing. Complete tear of the ACL and partial tear of the MCL along with a bone bruise. He's heading to Iceland in June and had a full itinerary of hiking and crampon climbs. It's looking more like a car tour with short hobbles to scenic overlooks.

Sorry to hear that ST (and for SmokingSocks). Do you and Smoking Socks have the same gaps remaining? Or, is there a section you can knock off on your own?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Currently, we have a 10-mile Delta between us. He toughed out the hike from Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald while I took a half day off to resupply and soak my feet. So I can hike that guilt-free. :P

He also gave me special hiking buddy dispensation to finish the section from Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam without him. Nice guy. After my son's wedding, I'm headed to the beach and he was thinking of hitting that section before heading to another wedding in Pittsburgh. That plan was supposed to get us both caught up and leave the section from Clingmans Dome to Max patch as our remaining southern miles.

And he texted me a few hours ago saying that he would shuttle me if I wanted to fly up to Boston this summer and finish New Hampshire on my own. I have to look at the access trails and see what would work in the area around Mahoosuc Notch. We really need to do the Notch together.

Gettin' old ain't for wimps!

• max.patch wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Gettin' old ain't for wimps!
      My knees agree.
      I was a bit nervous going into my 5-day Hermit Loop in the Grand Canyon last April. My wife was sure I was going to die. But I had zero problems with my knees, feet, back, or any other body part. I was shocked, really. But with that positive outcome last year, I am feeling bold about going further this year. I posted earlier about a couple of options, including Katahdin/HMW. But after doing the research, I decided that my first choice will be a seven day, six night loop of Isle Royal. Something like Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove to Todd Harbor to West Chickenbone (via Hatchet) to Maskey Basin to Three Mile to Rock Harbor. One complication is that my wife's sister is having a health crisis and getting away for a week (9 days including transportation) may or may not be feasible. We are awaiting test results. She lives in Ontario and the sisters are the only ones in their family so she doesn't have much else as for support.
    • Funny how things work out. My son just called to tell me that his last travel PT assignment is in...Franklin, NC. He'll be there from June to mid August. So now it's almost a requirement to head down and do some hiking over the summer. Sox gave me his blessing for me to hike as many miles down there as I can.

Funny how things work out. My son just called to tell me that his last travel PT assignment is in...Franklin, NC. He'll be there from June to mid August. So now it's almost a requirement to head down and do some hiking over the summer. Sox gave me his blessing for me to hike as many miles down there as I can.
      I would try to catch you there, but this summer I will be gone to Europe for a month, a few weeks in Japan for my son's wedding, and then some family reunions with my wife and a couple weeks hiking in CO. With all that going on, if I get to my dad's it is probably going to be a quick in and out.

Enjoy it, for summer hiking it is still pleasant there with the AT well maintained. Some of the trails around here get overgrown including poison ivy. Also in my experience good water for summer hiking around there.

Enjoy it! :thumbup:
    • Trillium wrote:

My sister and I are going to hike in the Arc of Appalachia in southeastern Ohio for 4 days next week to see the wildflowers. We're not backpacking as she's reserved a cabin in the area. So, I need to get packed this weekend as we're leaving on Monday.
      "Arc of Appalachia", maybe that is why ATQOTD keeps giving us Ohio as an option. :rolleyes:
    • Trillium wrote:

My sister and I are going to hike in the Arc of Appalachia in southeastern Ohio for 4 days next week to see the wildflowers. We're not backpacking as she's reserved a cabin in the area. So, I need to get packed this weekend as we're leaving on Monday.
      I'm interested in what you think. Every time I'm in the area I go to Hocking Hills. This looks to be about an hour away.
      2,000 miler