Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Water Weight Gain After Hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Water Weight Gain After Hiking

After my last few hikes, I noticed that I was retaining a significant amount of water in my body for days after the end of the hikes. After my last hike, the retention was pronounced and my RN wife was starting to get concerned. Well, it took five days, but the water is making a rapid exit. Good thing I sit close to the men's room at work. ;)

I did some searching on the subject and the water gain may be attributed to increases in muscle glycogen. Researches found that for every 1 ounce of glycogen stored, three ounces of water are stored. And as the glycogen is consumed, the water can let go. Makes sense to me.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I've not noticed this, and probably not related to your observation, but it is interesting that you body adapts to very high elevation by eliminating water so your blood becomes more concentrated and can carry more oxygen per unit volume. Coming back down in elevation would presumably be associated with water gain. But I doubt you would notice unless you were trekking in the Himalayas.
    • Too bad the 3-4 pound per day weight loss won't last. My wife was happy to see well-defined ankles yesterday.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • 18 pounds from the highest weight until now. That's a record for me. The water weight is all gone and now I'm into muscle atrophy. Such is the life of a section hiker.

• I also get edema on long hikes and should probably wear compression socks or sleeves but they’re too hot in summer.

I’m sure the etiology is different for everyone, it seems there are a lot of variables…water intake, sodium intake, kidney function, blood pressure, etc. Plus you’ve got plain old gravity and you’re carrying extra weight on your back.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • i have trouble with my arms and hands swelling, especially in the heat. Trekking poles help a lot. I do have to remove my wedding ring when i go on multi day section hikes, otherwise the fingers swell to the point it is painful yet impossible to remove. The trick is getting my wife to belive this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

i have trouble with my arms and hands swelling, especially in the heat. Trekking poles help a lot. I do have to remove my weddong ring when i go on multi day section hikes, otherwise the finfers swell to the point it is painful yet impossible to remove. The trick is getting my wife to belive this.
      Seinfeld can help your wife believe you are actually avoiding temptation by removing your ring. :)

2,000 miler