Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

McAfee Knob Trail Shuttle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• McAfee Knob Trail Shuttle

McAfee Knob has exploded in popularity and is one of the most visited -- and photographed -- areas of the AT. In order to keep it that way :) Roanoke County a couple weeks ago started a shuttle bus service Fri-Sun from a Park and Ride lot off of I-81 to the trailhead. $5 one way or $10 roundtrip (plus processing fees of course). The shuttle runs every half hour. I've never had a problem finding a parking spot at the trailhead, but it's been at least 20 years since I've been there and apparently that's no longer the case for some people. This adds $42.40 to the cost of hiking for a family of 4 that opts to take the shuttle rather than risk not finding a parking spot on arrival.

mcafeeshuttle.com/

The bus is ADA compliant even though the AT isn't. This was required to obtain funding for the shuttle.

Your ADA service dog is allowed to ride, comfort or emotional support dogs do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. Good luck to the bus drivers trying to enforce that one.

2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• There's a reason we tell new section hikers to get their shuttle done on day 1 and to hike to their waiting car...

From the FAQ:

I have missed the last shuttle for the evening. What do I do?

If you miss your shuttle after live phone support has ended, you will need to find your own transportation back to the Exit 140 Park and Ride. Uber and Lyft do not service this area.

Live phone support at (540) 761-7564 is ONLY available for 30 minutes after the shuttle service has ended. If an after-hours shuttle needs to return to the trailhead to pick up hikers who have missed the last scheduled shuttle, a fee of $25 per person will be charged. ***There is no guarantee an after-hours shuttle will be available.***
      2,000 miler
    • I visited McAfee Knob twice - once during a section hike and once for a photo op with a friend. On the second visit, I finished the out-n-back hike to find several cars waiting for someone to leave the packed parking area. And that was 2011. I'm sure that it's now a popular spot for influencers.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • In 2014 I was on a 5 day hike to go past the Knob and end at Daleville, but my knee blew out the day before Dragons Tooth. So i hiked over the Dragons tooth on one leg (can i get a FKT for that?), took a day off, and did the Knob as a day hike using a shuttle driver. But i think that was early Monday AM so it was not crowded (only saw a few hikers, none at the Knob). Since i missed the hike from there, past Tinkers Cliff an into town. A one way shuttle up could be useful. Unfortunately the shuttle leaves 12 highway miles from the trail head in Dalevile. I guess section hikers could Uber to the shuttle from there (it says Uber does not service the Knob parking lot).

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• It's really gotten crazy there in the last couple of years. The shuttle is a good idea. People were parking up and down the highway and the next side street even though both are posted No Parking. The other good option is to park at Four Pines Hostel and use their shuttle or walk the the few miles from the hostel.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I'm glad to hear more folks are getting to enjoy such an awesome place, but also what a bummer if it's getting inundated with people. I hit McAfee very early in my section hiking days and didn't know it was such a "big deal". I just stumbled across it and thought "wow, this is amazing", but had no idea of it's high regard among the AT community. I've always intended to go back and "really enjoy it". Guess I'll have to make it an early AM thing :)
    • dmperkins74 wrote:

I'm glad to hear more folks are getting to enjoy such an awesome place, but also what a bummer if it's getting inundated with people. I hit McAfee very early in my section hiking days and didn't know it was such a "big deal". I just stumbled across it and thought "wow, this is amazing", but had no idea of it's high regard among the AT community. I've always intended to go back and "really enjoy it". Guess I'll have to make it an early AM thing :)
      AS long as you go during the week there will usually only be a few people there. Weekends it's a zoo there and at nearby Dragons Tooth
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference