Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

National Parks and Lands:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I gotta ask the obvious question...why are they sometimes dressed and sometimes not?
      Looks like they have grown more modest with time.
      Being red, thought it might be some kind of Christmas decorations.
      OK, now you have me researching this, and I have learned some things I did not pick up on when I was at the park.

The Ki'i (Tiki) represent Gods, but also seem to play a role in family heritage and genealogy. The NPS allows practicing Hawaiian descendants of the caretakers of this 'place of refuge' to come and dress the Ki'i in preparation for "Kau Makaliʻi - Season of the Makahiki Ritual." This ritual is about 'renewal and regeneration.' This ritual seems to occur around the time of the winter solstice (makes sense).

The NPS site says, "The dressing of the kiʻi functions as a way to manifest the mana (spirit and essence) of the gods and ancestors in the human realm and bridge the divine with the present." The loincloth is called a 'malo.'

I found a picture from 2020 where they were dressed in white malos. Why red this year? I have not figured that out yet. Perhaps just the fickleness of fashion :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I found a picture from 2020 where they were dressed in white malos. Why red this year? I have not figured that out yet. Perhaps just the fickleness of fashion :)
      It's the blood of Captain James Cook. :D
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard