Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Can someone read......?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Having lived in Japan for 7 month and having a daughter adopted from Korea, I can recognize Japanese and Korean (and Chinese by elimination as the one that isn't Korean or Japanese). I can recognize them but can't read any of it.

Except I can read 羊 and 月 which are Japanese for Hitsuji (sheep) and Tsuki (moon) because we lived in the Sheep Hill neighborhood which is next to the Moon Cold neighborhood so I could either take the 羊 or 月 bus to get home from downtown.

Here: goo.gl/maps/SD6eLZRbbe3ABuhW9
    • odd man out wrote:

Having lived in Japan for 7 month and having a daughter adopted from Korea, I can recognize Japanese and Korean (and Chinese by elimination as the one that isn't Korean or Japanese). I can recognize them but can't read any of it.

Except I can read 羊 and 月 which are Japanese for Hitsuji (sheep) and Tsuki (moon) because we lived in the Sheep Hill neighborhood which is next to the Moon Cold neighborhood so I could either take the 羊 or 月 bus to get home from downtown.

My middle son should be moving to Tokyo in October. When my wife and I go to visit him next summer I am counting on him being to translate some for us. I have been good at reading maps in other countries in the past, but that was with a western alphabet. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Having lived in Japan for 7 month and having a daughter adopted from Korea, I can recognize Japanese and Korean (and Chinese by elimination as the one that isn't Korean or Japanese). I can recognize them but can't read any of it.

My middle son should be moving to Tokyo in October. When my wife and I go to visit him next summer I am counting on him being to translate some for us. I have been good at reading maps in other countries in the past, but that was with a western alphabet. :)
      I was hoping to do a Japan trip next summer too, but they seem to be very slow in coming out of 'lockdown mode.' I might have to wait longer.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I was hoping to do a Japan trip next summer too, but they seem to be very slow in coming out of 'lockdown mode.' I might have to wait longer.
      Which is why my son has not seen his fiancee in over 18 months. Yes, I am assuming this will get better so we can travel next summer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

It was just a few years ago i thought to myself I wonder if i could find our home in Japan in Google Maps. However this was 45 years after I lived there for just 7 months at age 12. But i had remembered a few lamdmarks, distance and direction i walked from the bus stop, and even though the neighborhood had completely chamged, i was able to locate a picture of the home on street view, all without reading anything.
    • While growing up as a military brat, we lived at a lot of places. The house is still in Anchorage but the base combined them so they are larger. The one house outside of Detroit, the entire neighborhood is bulldozed but the elementary school is still there. I used to walk to it and walked home one day at lunch when JFK was assassinated. Dad had flown all night and was barely awake and wondering why I was home at lunch. The home on the base at Detroit is still there but forget street views on any base. The houses at Great Falls MT were also bulldozed but replaced with larger places. Again, no street view. Our house in Tucson and West Springfield VA all there, just look much older and a bit worn down.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

While growing up as a military brat, we lived at a lot of places. The house is still in Anchorage but the base combined them so they are larger. The one house outside of Detroit, the entire neighborhood is bulldozed but the elementary school is still there. I used to walk to it and walked home one day at lunch when JFK was assassinated. Dad had flown all night and was barely awake and wondering why I was home at lunch. The home on the base at Detroit is still there but forget street views on any base. The houses at Great Falls MT were also bulldozed but replaced with larger places. Again, no street view. Our house in Tucson and West Springfield VA all there, just look much older and a bit worn down.
      my first home (my first 4 months) was at the famous (some say infamous) Pammel Court, a complex of military quonset huts used for married student housing at Iowa St. Univ. They are all gone now, but were in use probably much longer than they should have been.