Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wandering Stoveless NOBO on AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wandering Stoveless NOBO on AT

I am getting fat and have not done much hiking in the last 5 years.

I have section hiked the AT from Springer to Glencliff, but I have an itch to thruhike the AT NOBO. A February 20 start would let me camp without a bear canister at Woods Hole or Blood Mtn, and SNP would be fully open by the time I reach it. I like snow better than summer heat, and would like to pass through the Whites in July.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Do I really want a hang tag? After hiking more than 2000 miles it might be a little late to sit through an LNT lecture, weigh my pack, and get a pack shakedown.

I am thinking of catching a bus to Dalton and walking to Springer on the Pinhoti and BMT. The Dalton road walk would be a challenge unless someone takes pity on me.
    • max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

A February 20 start would let me camp without a bear canister at Woods Hole or Blood Mtn, and SNP would be fully open by the time I reach it.
      Very few thru hikers carry a bear canister because of our regulation. Most stop short of Jarrard Gap (Lance Creek is popular) and then just hike thru the 5 mile bear canister zone the next day.
      Does the regulation prohibit camping on the Slaughter Creek Trail?
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

A February 20 start would let me camp without a bear canister at Woods Hole or Blood Mtn, and SNP would be fully open by the time I reach it.
      Very few thru hikers carry a bear canister because of our regulation. Most stop short of Jarrard Gap (Lance Creek is popular) and then just hike thru the 5 mile bear canister zone the next day.
      Does the regulation prohibit camping on the Slaughter Creek Trail?
      About half the Slaughter Creek Trail is in the zone. You'd have to walk about 1.5 miles to get out of it. I've walked it many times, but never with an eye toward looking for a camping site. It's downhill next to the creek and I suspect it'd be difficult to find a flat spot. Personally I'd stop short of the zone and camp at Lance.

Here's a map of the zone on page 2/2.

fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf
      2,000 miler
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I have section hiked the AT from Springer to Glencliff, but I have an itch to thruhike the AT NOBO. A February 20 start would let me camp without a bear canister at Woods Hole or Blood Mtn, and SNP would be fully open by the time I reach it. I like snow better than summer heat, and would like to pass through the Whites in July.
      The extra weight may be helpful in winter.

Nice to hear from you.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

The extra weight may be helpful in winter.
      Nice to hear from you.
      Likewise. Yes it provides insulation and padding, but slows climbs. Nice to read you were on the GAP.

Good thing there are hills nearby I could train on, but I will wait for the summer heat to end.
    • New

I am considering a very impure nobo thruhike of the AT. I might take the Pinhoti, BMT, and Duncan Ridge trails from Dalton to Blood Mountain, hike into Helen from Unicoi Gap, return from Helen near Tray Mountain, take the Kimsey Creek shortcut, skip the eastern dip to the south in the Whites heading directly to Gorham on a side trail, and so on. I would not get a hang tag, not get a photo at Harpers Ferry, and not report 2000 miles to ATC.