Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Great Movie/TV Quotes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How about some of the best Ad-libbed lines?

"HEY! I'M WALKING HERE?" (Dustin Hoffman and Jon Vought in a NYC scene in Midnight Cowboy....a REAL taxi had driven onto the set....set security was an issue)
      "You're gonna need a bigger boat"
      "I was gonna make Espresso!".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • From The Secret of Roan Innish, an Irish film from 1994. The main character is Fiona, a young girl sent to live with her grandparents in rural west coastal Ireland where she unravals a mysterious family secret. As she is becomming deeply involved in supernatural events, she seeks advice from her cousin Tadhg (Gaelic version of the name Ty), a fisherman who is cleaning fish. She asks "What will become of me?". He replies, while chopping off fish heads "I cannot predict the future. I can see the past quite well, and the present if the weather is clear."

I like Irish films. They always have great music, spectacular scenary, colorful characters, clever dialog, and the don't allow reality to interfere with a good story. Another good example is Waking Ned Divine (1998). Jackie's eulogy at "Michael's" funeral is brilliant. And from there to the end of the film is the most fun you can have in a movie.
    • So many to choose from...could literally post a different movie one every day for the rest of the year. Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, The Godfather, Wizard of Oz, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Terminater, etc, etc ,etc. And that doesn't include a bunch from Seinfeld. Anyway, this is the first one that comes to mind when this subject comes up.

2,000 miler
    • I'll make that a true Daily Double. :)

Since Scott correctly identified Casablanca I'll just say it's the one with 6 quotes. I know the other two but I'll keep quiet and let everyone play along.

A question of my own...What is "interesting" about one of the 6 Casblanca quotes?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

A question of my own...What is "interesting" about one of the 6 Casblanca quotes?
      Would it be be that one is often misquoted?

You all guessed that Casablanca was the most quoted movie.

Bogart is all over this list. He was the most quoted actor with 5 quotes, but only 4 were from Casablanca. For $1000, what is Bogart's non Cassablanca quote.

Plus what are the two non Cassablanca quotes that were spoken to characters played by Bogart?
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Would it be be that one is often misquoted?

Bogart is all over this list. He was the most quoted actor with 5 quotes, but only 4 were from Casablanca. For $1000, what is Bogart's non Cassablanca quote.
      No, it's not "Play it again, Sam." I'm thinking of something else.

What is The Maltese Falcon?

2,000 miler
    • In Godfather, the "Take the gun" was scripted. The actor quickly added "....Take the canolli" (with raised eyebrows). It so fit the character as well as the "murder is just part of the job" that they left it in.

It's also fun to find out how misquoted many lines are. "Play it again, Sam" was not in the move. "Play it. Play 'As Time Goes By'" and other wording was used.

Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, the "He stole my line" was unscripted and also an inside joke of stealing lines.

Matt Damon's "Story" in the closing scene of Saving Private Ryan, also was made up by him. Tom Hank's reactions were natural.

In "It's A Wonderful Life", when the Uncle, who bumbles around, leaves a scene and there is a crash, he quickly yelled "I'M ALLRIGHT!". Totally unscripted, as was the Crash (a stage hand dropped or knocked over some equipment). It so fit the character, "CUT! PRINT!!!"
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • On my trip to Derry I learned that 'No Surrender' was the response shouted at King James when he demanded the city surrender to his Jacobite forces during the Siege of Derry in 1689. "No Surrender" is now a motto adopted my the Unionists. You can see it on murals in the Protestant neighborhoods in Derry and Belfast.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • "No Surrender", I always think of the Bruce Springsteen song from Born in the USA. By the way one thing I have in common with the Boss is that we both just became grandfathers for the first time. 8)

The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General