Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Heading to Maine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Heading to Maine

The second half of July we'll be going to Maine. We have reservations in both Baxter State Park, where I expect to hike Mt. Katahdin, and Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument where we expect to hike some on the IAT. Then on the way home we'll stop in NH where I still need to get Wildcat D hiked. Sure hope we get some decent weather.
    • Which way are you climbing to get to Wildcat D?

I'll be headed up the 19-Mile Brook Trail on August 5th to get back to the AT in Carter Notch, then heading north to Gorham.

Enjoy Katahdin! I don't know if you have the time or logistics to include a traverse of the Knife Edge, but that was quite an experience.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • For Wildcat D I'll be starting at the AMC visitor center and hiking to the top. When we originally hiked that section of the AT we didn't go down because we thought it was too steep to get our dog down.

As for Baxter our reservation is only 3 nights, so I figure that's only 2 full days of hiking. Then 3 nights at Katahdin Woods and Waters.
    • If you have had enough of the Hunt Trail going up Katahdin via the AT, I would recommend coming back down the Abol Trail. Bolder traversing for a little bit to start, but much milder the rest of the way. :)

The Knifes Edge, that option would be very well beyond my personal comfort level. :/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

Spending the day packing up and getting ready for our trip to Maine. I'd like to leave very early but that won't be possible as we'll drop our dog at my son's place in the afternoon. :( .
      Have a great trip/hike and look forward to seeing your picture on top of Katahdin! Hoping you get great weather on the summit. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General