Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Grand Canyon: Rim to Rim

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

I thought this was interesting about hiking the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim.

I've never done; my dad has done it a couple times that I know of. Although he does what he calls the "Rim to Rim and Back Again."

I was suprised at how many day hikers i saw at the bottom, considering all the park literature that says you shouldn't do it. Since i was there before the North Rim was open, these would have been rim to bottom back to rim hikers (not sure if there is jargon for that). Most will go down South Kaibab and up BrightAngel. They hit Indian Gsrdens on the way up in the afternoon. I saw over 30 people waiting in line to fill waterr bottles there. I think they had not turned the water on at the other rest houses yet, so this was their last water stop before the rim. If you are doing it, note there were three unused water taps in the camground. People who know that didn't have to wait in line. I also saw a lot of R2R2R trail runners. They were making their first pass through Phantom Ranch around breakfast time. I wonder if they will ever get to the point where they put in a Gov. William J. Le Petomane toll booth to day hike past the Tipp Off, Plateau Point, or Ribbon Falls? Anybody got any dimes?
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I thought this was interesting about hiking the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim.

I've never done; my dad has done it a couple times that I know of. Although he does what he calls the "Rim to Rim and Back Again."

I was suprised at how many day hikers i saw at the bottom, considering all the park literature that says you shouldn't do it. Since i was there before the North Rim was open, these would have been rim to bottom back to rim hikers (not sure if there is jargon for that). Most will go down South Kaibab and up BrightAngel. They hit Indian Gsrdens on the way up in the afternoon. I saw over 30 people waiting in line to fill waterr bottles there. I think they had not turned the water on at the other rest houses yet, so this was their last water stop before the rim. If you are doing it, note there were three unused water taps in the camground. People who know that didn't have to wait in line. I also saw a lot of R2R2R trail runners. They were making their first pass through Phantom Ranch around breakfast time. I wonder if they will ever get to the point where they put in a Gov. William J. Le Petomane toll booth to day hike past the Tipp Off, Plateau Point, or Ribbon Falls? Anybody got any dimes?

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • but seriously...
      Overnight hikes require permits due to resource limitation (campground sites). At what point does the number of day hikers exceed the capacity of the trail resources? Would they ever get to the point where you would need a permit to hike into the inner gorge?

When i was exiting the Hermit trail i met a park volunteer whose job it was to monitor hikers on the trai. The hermit trail is very quiet. But he said the have more emergencies on the Bright Angel Trail than any other.
    • odd man out wrote:

but seriously...
      Overnight hikes require permits due to resource limitation (campground sites). At what point does the number of day hikers exceed the capacity of the trail resources? Would they ever get to the point where you would need a permit to hike into the inner gorge?

When i was exiting the Hermit trail i met a park volunteer whose job it was to monitor hikers on the trai. The hermit trail is very quiet. But he said the have more emergencies on the Bright Angel Trail than any other.
      On Kauai's Kalalau Trail, you can day hike the 2 miles each way to the Hanakapiai Beach without a permit. Hiking any further is limited to 60 camping permits per day in peak season and 80 permits off-peak. There are also parking permits required at the trailhead for all hikers.

That's a change from when I hiked there in 2004. No parking permits required, and day-hiking permits as far as the Hanakoa Valley (6 miles each way). Camping permits were only required for Kalalau Beach. Looks like hiking is getting pretty popular.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard