Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

PCT Surveys

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• That's pretty sad reading. There have always been "pink blazers" but this seems to have progressed way past that.

Thanks for posting the link. You've posted previous years, and I enjoy the various other surveys (linked at the bottom). I think it's interesting to see what shoes, tents, food, etc that the current crop of hikers are using.
      2,000 miler
    • Definitely there are issues but I also believe that social media has trained us to crave acknowledgement for our achievements and we are no longer humble. We expect others to treat us with deference based on our accomplishments, not on who we are and how we behave. We’ve lost the art of humility.

We perceive ill intentions everywhere, misinterpreting friendly helpfulness for “mansplaining”, and we over-inflate our attractiveness by labeling friendly older men as “creepy old men”. (That one drives me bonkers. Ageism is as bad as sexism!)

So I read these surveys with a grain of salt. Be humble and treat those around you with courtesy and respect and you might view the world in a different light.

That’s all.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Sorry for my rant…social awareness, discrimination, racism, etc. has been on my mind a lot lately. Of course it’s an issue that we need to diligently work on. The stats on the surveys sound accurate which is sad. I don’t mean to downplay those negative experiences.

But I also believe that people are hyper-focused on themselves and how others treat them to the point of finding fault where none exists.

I can only think that the solution lies within all of us by being self-aware and focusing outward, towards those around us.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Some women need to realize that men may 'mansplain' to other men too. Some people just are too full of themselves. It may be unwanted, but it is not necessarily sexist.

Sometimes I wonder if my friendliness on the trail is interpreted as being 'a creepy old guy.' When I'm thinking about it this does make me more reserved. But usually I forget my age because when no mirrors are around I still think of myself as a kid and I think of all other hikers as my peers.

Years ago I was also a very lonely single guy who very much wanted someone to share life with. I have some sympathy for the awkward dorks who cannot read the queues of when woman want to be left alone. In my case, I was too much of a coward to hit on women anyway. Thank goodness my wife let me know she was interested, or I would still be alone :)

That said, the comment section of this survey does reveal plenty of disturbing behavior.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Sorry for my rant…social awareness, discrimination, racism, etc. has been on my mind a lot lately. Of course it’s an issue that we need to diligently work on. The stats on the surveys sound accurate which is sad. I don’t mean to downplay those negative experiences.

But I also believe that people are hyper-focused on themselves and how others treat them to the point of finding fault where none exists.

I can only think that the solution lies within all of us by being self-aware and focusing outward, towards those around us.
      I think the world is a better place for everyone when we don't think it resolves around us.
      The more we invest and share with others, often the happier we will be. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Several thoughts.
      While I don't have any knowledge to question the results of this survey, a true scientific survey would have a control group and also be asking the same questions to a population of "General people on the streets". Are these numbers any different than the general population?
      Survey's also run the risk of leading people, inherit in what the study is about. If you handed someone a survey with 100 questions, but only 5 are about the topic you are actually focused on, how would the numbers shift as the person doing the survey is wondering "what is this really about?". Sensitivity to a subject also rises due to circumstances and proximity. If someone had just experienced 'mansplaining" and you ask them about it, it will rate high. Ask them a month later and it might not.
      I've found myself in lots of situations where I've said something that was taken in a different way than my intentions. Sometimes I heard about that days, weeks or months after the fact. Often leaving me wondering what I should have done differently.
      There is also the issue that people are looking for some issue to be in existence and focus on that. We have that in a family situation for the last several years. I mentioned to some other family members that this person "Had their happy plug pulled out about 50 years ago as I don't think they find much happiness".
      We have some people around us who have to "take charge" and "Explain" everything, no matter what. They often also have to "Be right". I've had people in my past who know I have knowledge about something, they ask something about it (like they are planning a hiking trip and ask me about their preparations). I freely give information. They then either correct me to what they think (why'd you ask!) or don't do it(more common). Go off and possibly have issues. Yet I can't recall someone then returning and saying "You know, I asked you about that, didn't do what you mentioned and it bit me". (One person did this, barely made half the distance they'd "prepared for". I heard all about their issues, but not once did the person acknowledge that perhaps not training on flat concrete, which I'd pointed out, could have contributed to their issues ) If they don't seem to be listening to me, I eventually just don't have any "thoughts" when asked about it for the N-th time. I rarely try and offer unsolicited thoughts/advice.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Here are few things that surprised me in the survey...
      That 5% of hikers DID NOT see a rattlesnake (they must be oblivious IMHO).
      That 13% claimed to have seen a Mountain Lion (Bobcat maybe :) )
      That so many hikers did not like the section from Belden to Burney Falls (I get it, hot & dry, but it is beautiful too).
      That 0.6% of the hikers DID NOT like the JMT.

I was not surprised that I am in the tiny minority who does not use Apps (0.7%)
      I started out never carrying a phone, but in the desert sections I have started carrying a disposable phone just in case.

The least favorite desert section of the PCT happens to be the section I am doing next (Tehachipi to Walker Pass). I am looking forward to it :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Interesting survey with good use of visualization.

I guess from a career perspective I should hike the PCT. 3 top professions and 4 of top 6. :)

If I just do a section it appears Oregon is the easiest. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

Here are few things that surprised me in the survey...
      That 5% of hikers DID NOT see a rattlesnake (they must be oblivious IMHO).
      That 13% claimed to have seen a Mountain Lion (Bobcat maybe :) )
      That so many hikers did not like the section from Belden to Burney Falls (I get it, hot & dry, but it is beautiful too).
      That 0.6% of the hikers DID NOT like the JMT.

I was not surprised that I am in the tiny minority who does not use Apps (0.7%)
      I started out never carrying a phone, but in the desert sections I have started carrying a disposable phone just in case.

The least favorite desert section of the PCT happens to be the section I am doing next (Tehachipi to Walker Pass). I am looking forward to it :)
      It's fine if you like long water carries. About 20 miles between sources. I recall coming up to one late in the day. it was a cattle pomd. complete with cattle pissing & shitting in it. The women we were hiking with boiled, filtered & chemically treated it. Taro & I were considering better options & flagged down som off road bikers trying to yogi a water run & check their maps. While compareing map a pick up stops asking if we needed help. We told him what was up, he said throw you packs in & get in back, he live just down the road and has jut filled his cistern. True trail maji! went from desrt toan oasis. green plush lawn & a swimming hole!
    • I had my first taste of desert hiking in the Grand Canyon. It was in 90s around May 1. I.had a 10 mile dry slog across the Tonto from Havasupai Gardens to Monument Creek. The only water along the route was salty and radioactive. You can boil, filter, and chemical treat all you want and it won't help.