Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2024 North American Total Eclipse - April 8th

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

Been watching VT weather all day. I am unsure what to do. High clouds are expected to arrive in Burlington, VT right at peak eclipse time. Not bad enough to ruin block the sun, but may make the corona harder to see. Still will be clear further east, but the beautiful shores of Lake Champlain was my preferred destination.

Thinking of Colebrook, NH now. Not as ideal of a destination.

Too excited to sleep tonight (same thing happens to me before a big hike). I'll leave about 2 AM and decide on the drive.
      "Corona", made me a think of two things. The beer you would celebrate with, or singing The Knack hit My Sharona with with a twist on the first syllable. ;)

Actually there was a third, but that has already gotten too much air time over the past few years.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • We had planned to travel about 1.5 hours to the south to get a longer totality time. We have some friends there. But traffic could be an issue also. However the farther south you go, the thicker the clouds will be. We've decided to stay home now. But we are on the fringe of the totality area. But we still will have high cloud cover and maybe more. Storms moving in from the south by 4 PM.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • from the path of totality in Camden NY. The clouds broke for about four minutes giving us a clear view.
      Images
      • 49DA4204-D507-4A3C-A561-7D50A6DC2CD8.jpeg

71.58 kB, 799×449, viewed 10 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • We had clouds early in the morning. By noon the clouds were still taking turns obscuring the sun. About 45 minutes before totality, it started really clearing out. When it went to full totality, I can't describe that.
      When the sun was about 80 percent covered, we had night flying bugs starting to show up. night time bugs started singing and the birds started getting quiet.
      We stayed at home and had about 2 minutes of totality. Our dog was unimpressed with the show, but loved having mom and dad hanging out in "his" backyard for a few hours.
      Unfortunately tonight we are due storms tonight. I moved my F250 under the I35 bridge. Our little town has a park there on Lake Lewisville and they open the park gate and there are about 112 spots paved under the I35 bridge to shelter vehicles from hail. We put my truck there after the eclipse. The city already had about 10 of their trucks under there, but they park them on some dirt and leave the pavement to citizens.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • My cell phone pictures were not impressive, but the actual view was mesmerizing. About two minutes of totality and then the amazing diamond ring effect. Couldn't have asked for a better view. And from my deck.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • We drove 4 hours to Northwest OH (a park right by a NCT trailhead, west of Lima). Traffic was bad around Fort Wayne. It was right where the I69 and several US highways meet at the edge of where totality so it was the bottleneck. We took some back roads to avoid a couple of backups caused by accidents. There were some high thin clouds that did not obscure anything. The partial eclipses pics weren't very good - taken with a cell phone through eclipse glasses. The total eclipse picture was with the good camera. Gryff just chilled at my feet.

• Took a truly last minute 5 hour drive to Camden NY and were rewarded with about two minutes of totality.
      Images
      • E812E0A7-0032-4857-8262-152D8F74AC4B.jpeg

71.58 kB, 799×449, viewed 8 times
      • EAA12D8E-0D28-4346-A532-9ED0944BA7C3.jpeg

53.37 kB, 450×600, viewed 8 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • New

A photographer from the local paper captured these images which perfectly match what I was seeing.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • New

My Eclipse photos are garbage, but here is a report on my trip...

With forecasts of clouds coming in, I bailed heading to my preferred spot in Burlington, VT on the shores of Lake Champlain. First after driving through the night I arrived in the large (for VT) town of Newport near the border with Canada. But I was not feeling the vibe there, and left searching for someplace more rural. I found it in the tiny town of Westmore. This field slopes west overlooking the beautiful glacially carved Lake Willoughby. I was going to enjoy the eclipse, become one with the cosmos in this peaceful quiet setting. Or so I thought...

Soon the hoards started showing up. How did all these people know about my field hidden up a quiet dirt road?

Some of them were clearly professional photographers setting up multiple expensive cameras and lenses.

There was an interesting Ham Radio operator taking part in a 'Citizen Science' project testing the effect of the eclipse on transmissions bouncing off the Earth's Ionosphere.

Watching the eclipse with their snowman family.

This guy came prepared! He said 'No way am I letting the Aliens get into my brain. Next thing you know you end up in the 'Probing Room'. "
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

Great... I just found out that I'm headed to Bethel VT next week. I'll get to welcome spring one more time then come home and mow my lawn for the 6th time this year.

• New

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Great... I just found out that I'm headed to Bethel VT next week. I'll get to welcome spring one more time then come home and mow my lawn for the 6th time this year.
      The snow is melting fast. I am sure it will be gone in the valleys by next week. You should still be able to ski the glades at Killington, though.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

We went up to Richmond VT (just outside of Burlington) and lucked out with a very clear sky. So happy to have been able to see it. Didn't get any AT hiking in, but really made me itch to go back up there and put in some miles!
      Images
      • IMG_5974.jpeg

74.62 kB, 450×600, viewed 6 times