Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cog Railway

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I wonder if they're playing the ole lets propose building a hotel (which they really don't want to do) first and then when we bring up the alternative of parking rail cars up there (which is what they really want to do) it'll look really good by comparison.

I seem to recall there is already a hotel just a short stroll from the summit. Even stayed there a couple of times.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I wonder if they're playing the ole lets propose building a hotel (which they really don't want to do) first and then when we bring up the alternative of parking rail cars up there (which is what they really want to do) it'll look really good by comparison.

I seem to recall there is already a hotel just a short stroll from the summit. Even stayed there a couple of times.
      How far is a "short stroll"?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I wonder if they're playing the ole lets propose building a hotel (which they really don't want to do) first and then when we bring up the alternative of parking rail cars up there (which is what they really want to do) it'll look really good by comparison.

How far is a "short stroll"?
      Exactly 1.4 miles.
      2,000 miler

• If you build it they will come...

I hope we never find out, but I'm sure the rail cars will be much nicer than the Lakes of the Clouds Hut which has no problem at all with occupancy despite being pretty pricey for what you get. Location is everything. I don't think getting customers will be a problem.

Speaking of rail cars, anyone else ever eat at Victoria Station when they existed? It was a popular restaurant in the 70s until it wasn't in the 90's. You ate in (renovated) box cars or a caboose. Nicer than it sounds. Probably best known for their prime rib. Based on Londons Victoria Station, each restaurnat had one of those English phone booths out front.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

If you build it they will come...

I hope we never find out, but I'm sure the rail cars will be much nicer than the Lakes of the Clouds Hut which has no problem at all with occupancy despite being pretty pricey for what you get. Location is everything. I don't think getting customers will be a problem.

Speaking of rail cars, anyone else ever eat at Victoria Station when they existed? It was a popular restaurant in the 70s until it wasn't in the 90's. You ate in (renovated) box cars or a caboose. Nicer than it sounds. Probably best known for their prime rib. Based on Londons Victoria Station, each restaurnat had one of those English phone booths out front.
      Never been to Victoria's Station, but I used to have a girl friend that worked for Victoria's Secret. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thinking about Victoria Station reminded me of another gone but not forgotten restaurant I went to in my 20s. Beefsteak Charlies. Dinners included all the beer, wine, or sangria you wanted. Two drinks was a big night for me so I probably didn't get my moneys worth. But on the other hand becasue of my youth I didn't recognize how bad the beer probably was.
      2,000 miler
    • Our downtown Dallas Spaghetti Warehouse was built in an old West-End factory. They had it full of antiques. They'd found one of the Dallas Inter-Urban trolley cars from the 1920's/30's (My granddad used them in the depression) and took out a wall and moved that trolley car into the restaurant. Then retrofitted it to seat people. The trolley car had run from downtown to a place called Junius Hights Which still exist. Was a "land rush" building development in eastern Dallas back in the 1910's I think. So the restaurant closed some years back and moved everything out. Except the car. New owners are trying to figure out what to do. There is a historical society that has some funds for the car and would like it. But the cost of opening up the building again!!! The trolley car had a waiting list to be seated in it which was longer than the restaurant. Which was huge to begin with. "Table for 20 and no reservation? Give us 10 minutes....It will be upstairs". "Table for 2 in the trolley? 20, maybe 30 minutes. General seating table for 2, follow me".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Nudging this back on track...

"...Nine sleeper cars would accommodate up to 70 guests who would pay similar rates to those charged on other sleepers..."

My wife and I went to Washington DC one year on Amtrak and decided to get a sleeper car for the experience. I just checked the rates for a one way trip ATL-WAS to get an idea what "other sleepers" charge.

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

Thats a $454 upcharge for the room. Yikes. I obviously have no idea if this is relevent or not.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Nudging this back on track...

"...Nine sleeper cars would accommodate up to 70 guests who would pay similar rates to those charged on other sleepers..."

My wife and I went to Washington DC one year on Amtrak and decided to get a sleeper car for the experience. I just checked the rates for a one way trip ATL-WAS to get an idea what "other sleepers" charge.

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

Thats a $454 upcharge for the room. Yikes. I obviously have no idea if this is relevent or not.
      How many nights is that trip?
      My granddad was retired from the PRR and so had lifetime "Free" pass for him and grandmother. But it was like the airlines are. He'd want to "Sit up" on a multi-day trip from PA, to Chicago, to Fort Worth!! Everyone convinced him to get a sleeper. Even he was glad they did.

I'm wondering where on Mt Wash, would they park these things?
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

How many nights is that trip?My granddad was retired from the PRR and so had lifetime "Free" pass for him and grandmother. But it was like the airlines are. He'd want to "Sit up" on a multi-day trip from PA, to Chicago, to Fort Worth!! Everyone convinced him to get a sleeper. Even he was glad they did.

1 nite
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

How many nights is that trip?My granddad was retired from the PRR and so had lifetime "Free" pass for him and grandmother. But it was like the airlines are. He'd want to "Sit up" on a multi-day trip from PA, to Chicago, to Fort Worth!! Everyone convinced him to get a sleeper. Even he was glad they did.
      1 nite
      ouch.
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

How many nights is that trip?My granddad was retired from the PRR and so had lifetime "Free" pass for him and grandmother. But it was like the airlines are. He'd want to "Sit up" on a multi-day trip from PA, to Chicago, to Fort Worth!! Everyone convinced him to get a sleeper. Even he was glad they did.I'm wondering where on Mt Wash, would they park these things?
      1 nite
      ouch.
      There's a reason I only did this once. :) It was really nice to have a bed, shower, and toilet, but not THAT nice. My wife was going to DC on business, so half of what we spent was reimburseable.
      2,000 miler
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

I would imagine that they would construct a siding and then adjust the mounting angle of the beds to match the slope of the siding. Kind of how the seats in the Cog Railway coaches are set to be horizontal on the climb / descent and not at the stations.

Still, imaging the rocking that would be going on with the sleeper cars. From the wind, not from amorous guests. :P
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

One trip I've been researching is a hike in northern Sweden. The best way to get there is to fly to Stockholm and take the night train from the airport to Abisko (6:35 PM to 11:08 AM) where there is a full service lodge in the middle of nowhere. The train platform is at the beginning of thousands of miles of hiking options.

Seat in coach = $83 per person
      A bed in a 6-person shared sleeping compartment = $106 per person (mixed gender rooms possible)
      A bed in a 3-person shared sleeping compartment = $134 per person (only single gender rooms)
      Private 3-person shared sleeping compartment = $328 for two people or $272 for one person

Prices seem to be lower if you book far out in advance (these are for mid June). Bunks are stacked three-high. During the day the middle bunk folds down for seating. Toilets, showers, and extra storage are in the corridor. In the 6-person room you make your own bed (bedding is provided). If traveling as a male/female couple, you could not choose a shared 3-person compartment.

swedishtouristassociation.com/areas/kungsleden/
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

2 seats in coach $264.
      2 in a sleeper $718.

I would imagine that they would construct a siding and then adjust the mounting angle of the beds to match the slope of the siding. Kind of how the seats in the Cog Railway coaches are set to be horizontal on the climb / descent and not at the stations.
      Still, imaging the rocking that would be going on with the sleeper cars. From the wind, not from amorous guests. :P
      I figured something like that. 9 RR Cars on a side track. Lots of rail. For the wind, perhaps do like items being transported on trains and small planes outside at airports. Tether them down. Then lets talk safety. It can snow up there 12 months of the year and have bad weather. What is the limit for "OK...winds are going to be X MPH in the next 24 hours so those 9 cars have to come down and your reservation? Sorry".
    • IMScotty wrote:

The last remaining Victoria Station was in Salem, MA. It closed in 2017. Nope, I never ate there...
      Think that may have been one I was at in the past (given that I wouldn't have been back into the 1970's or even much of the 1980's)

max.patch wrote:

Thinking about Victoria Station reminded me of another gone but not forgotten restaurant I went to in my 20s. Beefsteak Charlies. Dinners included all the beer, wine, or sangria you wanted. Two drinks was a big night for me so I probably didn't get my moneys worth. But on the other hand becasue of my youth I didn't recognize how bad the beer probably was.
      Remember these as well - we did have one up here (Albany, NY) for a short time, but also going to one in NYC where they were more popular when travelling down there. Not old enough for the drinks part, but the peel & eat shrimp on their salad bar, on the other hand...
    • Well, this is how I feel. We all know it....If you want wilderness, you need to leave the Northeast.

I've walked up there 5 times, took the train down with Army Ant, Overload drove us up in October. In 1981 I got a Hamburger and Fries up there.

I think I will get a berth there one day.......you haven't lived 'till you've done it on the train!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Well, this is how I feel. We all know it....If you want wilderness, you need to leave the Northeast.

I've walked up there 5 times, took the train down with Army Ant, Overload drove us up in October. In 1981 I got a Hamburger and Fries up there.

I think I will get a berth there one day.......you haven't lived 'till you've done it on the train!
      I don't think I'll be joining you for that trip.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Well, this is how I feel. We all know it....If you want wilderness, you need to leave the Northeast.

I don't think I'll be joining you for that trip.
      Cof124
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: