Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATQOTD

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

They need to delete that question as written and start over.

They don't even have the correct answer as one of the choices for the (very poorly written) question that was asked.

But, like everyone else, I got the question "correct" only becasue we knew what they were trying to ask.
      Isn't it actually "never"? Which was one of the choices when I answered it.

And correct me if I'm wrong. The PARK doesn't close. However the park does close for overnight camping, no later than October 15. BUT, depending on weather and trail conditions, the rangers MAY decide to close trails as needed. AND the rangers can choose to close for overnight camping, BEFORE 10/15. And then it opens no later than.....is it June 15 for overnight camping?

Hence for thru hikers, it's really tough with dwindling daylight, to be able to get dropped off at the gate, hike in, hike the typical 8 hours up and down Big-K and then get shuttled out, tough to do that after 10/15.

Please correct me where I'm wrong. I've not read the fine-print in a few years and have never been there.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I didn't have much of a clue on today's "Founding Editor" question. I discarded two and flipped a coin. Must have been a two sided coin as I guessed correctly.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 14, 2023 ⛺
      My answer today was – CORRECT
      Total questions answered – 526
      Total answers correct – 484
      Percentage answers correct – 92%
      Longest correct streak – 53
      hykeroo.com/atqotd #hykerooatqotd
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

They need to delete that question as written and start over.

They don't even have the correct answer as one of the choices for the (very poorly written) question that was asked.

But, like everyone else, I got the question "correct" only becasue we knew what they were trying to ask.
      Isn't it actually "never"? Which was one of the choices when I answered it.
      And correct me if I'm wrong. The PARK doesn't close. However the park does close for overnight camping, no later than October 15. BUT, depending on weather and trail conditions, the rangers MAY decide to close trails as needed. AND the rangers can choose to close for overnight camping, BEFORE 10/15. And then it opens no later than.....is it June 15 for overnight camping?

Hence for thru hikers, it's really tough with dwindling daylight, to be able to get dropped off at the gate, hike in, hike the typical 8 hours up and down Big-K and then get shuttled out, tough to do that after 10/15.

Please correct me where I'm wrong. I've not read the fine-print in a few years and have never been there.
      I usually don't answer questions (except the easy ones) about BSP and Katahdin as they keep revising the rules and they're totally different than the last time I was there. No reason to stay up to date unless one is planning a trip.

Hikers used to incorrectly say "Katahdin closes on Oct 15." That was never true. The campsites used by thru hikers closed on October 15. You could still access Katahdin until it was closed after that date if you started and finished outside the park. However, that makes for a looong day that was probably impractical for most to complete. So that's why the answer to the question that they meant to ask was Oct 15.

But that's not the correct answer anymore. While most campgrounds close Oct 15, the campgrounds used by thru hikers are now open to Oct 22. And that is the answer to the question that they intended to ask.

Katahdin closes when it is not safe to hike. It closed (I believe) on Oct 20 the last 2 years. The year I thru'd K was closed for a few days in early October. I and another thru actually sumitted on a closed day with the permission of the ranger. It reopened the day after we hiked. (Side note; the hiker I summited with finally reported his hike to the ATC I learned a few days ago when I read the Spring ATC Journeys. I wonder what took him so long.)

So what is the answer to the question that they actually asked? I'm almost certain that the answer is "never" but I'd like to see that in writing. When would they close? You can day hike in November. Winter camping season runs from Dec 1 thru Mar 31. Maybe if the snow is too deep? Well, one of the tote roads is used for snow mobiles during winter. That brings us to Apr 1 -- can't see them closing at that time of year.
      2,000 miler
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 15, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 317
      Total answers correct – 314
      Percentage answers correct – 99%
      Longest correct streak – 261

Past few days have made me glad I recently read a book about AT History. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• rhjanes wrote:

I'd missed this one at least once before.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 15, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 527
      Total answers correct – 485
      The mountains on the map image were a little misleading.
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 17, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 319
      Total answers correct – 316

Always find the river questions easier than the gap ones.
    • BillyGr wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

That map sure did not look like Florida. :)
      I spent the first 20 years of my life there, and I certainly do not remember those mountains.
      I'm pretty sure the only mountain in Florida is Space Mountain.
      Uh, isn't there at least one other one in the same park? ;)
      I couldn't tell you. I haven't been there in over 30 years, and have nonintention of going back.
      its all good
    • rhjanes wrote:

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 19, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 531
      Total answers correct – 488
      Back to an esier one today. Quite a few questions easy if just know the 14 states. :)
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 20, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 322
      Total answers correct – 319

95% sure today, but went ahead and refreshed, and sure enough that border state disappeared. :)
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 21, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 323
      Total answers correct – 320

Does the AT actually walk thru the campus or just next to it?
      That was 2016 for me and since I was finishing there and had time to kill while waiting for a rental car, and I walked around the campus some.
    • say WHAT! Today's is "What does GORP stand for". Well what I'd always heard.....it states isn't the correct answer!?!?! Another BS one.....

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 23, 2023 ⛺
      My answer today was – INCORRECT
      Total questions answered – 535
      Total answers correct – 491
    • rhjanes wrote:

say WHAT! Today's is "What does GORP stand for". Well what I'd always heard.....it states isn't the correct answer!?!?! Another BS one.....

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 23, 2023 ⛺
      My answer today was – INCORRECT
      Total questions answered – 535
      Total answers correct – 491
      I read this before I answered the question. I gave the correct answer which, based on what you wrote, I expected that it would be graded as incorrect. Yep; BS question.

They need an overhaul in the Quality Control Department.

A 5 second google search would have prevented this from happening.
      2,000 miler
    • I believe it's also a case of definitions changing over time and also three and four letter acronyms meaning different things in different industries, countries and in context. Several times I have used a TLA about computer stuff and while my spouse (also in computers) knew what I meant, other family members were lost and a few times my dad seemed puzzled. He spent 20+ years as a USAF fighter pilot with TONS of 3 and 4 Letter acronyms, but his had a different meaning in the USAF or cockpit compared to in a computer room. GORP might have started 120 years ago and mean one thing, but in today's hiking community......
    • rhjanes wrote:

GORP might have started 120 years ago and mean one thing, but in today's hiking community......
      I wonder if the term GORP is still used by hikers or if it has been replaced by TRAIL MIX which is what I see on pre packaged stuff. I'll have to keep my ears open. :) I bet it has. I haven't said the word GORP in years.

My GORP was always more than just raisins and peanuts although it always included them.
      2,000 miler
    • rhjanes wrote:

I believe it's also a case of definitions changing over time and also three and four letter acronyms meaning different things in different industries, countries and in context. Several times I have used a TLA about computer stuff and while my spouse (also in computers) knew what I meant, other family members were lost and a few times my dad seemed puzzled. He spent 20+ years as a USAF fighter pilot with TONS of 3 and 4 Letter acronyms, but his had a different meaning in the USAF or cockpit compared to in a computer room. GORP might have started 120 years ago and mean one thing, but in today's hiking community.....
      It reminds me of a conversation a while back where we discussed how SOBO and NOBO seems to have replaced MEGA and GAME.
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 27, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 329
      Total answers correct – 325

Certainly wasn't any snow when I was there back in July 2013. :)