Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATQOTD

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've had a bad week. I was one correct answer away from getting my average up to 82% then botched 2 in a row. I misread the question about the Southern end, thinking they wanted the original terminus. Then there was the dreaded true/false Q. Finally back on track with a question about the place my very first AT hike started in 1968.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• I almost clicked the state just north of the correct one......Today my ? was "which state is this Washington Monument in?"

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – July 31, 2023 ⛺
      My answer today was – CORRECT
      Total questions answered – 512
      Total answers correct – 471
      Percentage answers correct – 92%
      Longest correct streak – 53
      hykeroo.com/atqotd #hykerooatqotd
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I don't think I've seen today's question before... "Who wrote X book?"

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 4, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 516
      Total answers correct – 475
    • rhjanes wrote:

Missed.....not sure the accuracy.
      ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 6, 2023 ⛺
      My answer today was – INCORRECT
      Total questions answered – 518
      Total answers correct – 476
      I agree a poor question. Not for sure if I have a picture of the sign, but I walked thru PenMar park back in 2015 a little before dark
      I remember it being dark as I passed the Maso Dixon sign. The milage of that sign is off by about 200 miles. Probably accurate when MaxPatch walked thru in 1980s.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I agree a poor question. Not for sure if I have a picture of the sign, but I walked thru PenMar park back in 2015 a little before darkI remember it being dark as I passed the Maso Dixon sign. The milage of that sign is off by about 200 miles. Probably accurate when MaxPatch walked thru in 1980s.
      Once upon a time I had a list of the AT length by year but it has somehow disappeared. After I read this this morning I did a quick google search, and if the info I found was correct...

The AT was 1,999 in 1965 and 2,003 in 1970 so almost certainly was 2,000 miles (either legit or rounded) during that time frame. In 1971 the AT increased to 2,048 and was never close to 2,000 again. (The Katahdin sign Shaffer stood by in his book has the length at 2,050 but of course that was when the AT ended at Mt Oglethorpe.)

The sign certainly has nice round numbers which suggests that a bit of rounding may have been done.

Except for the picture of Shaffer, I'm not old enough to know if any of the above is actually true. :)

When I thru'd the AT was 2,135, or to put it another way, about 3-4 hiking days shorter.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I agree a poor question. Not for sure if I have a picture of the sign, but I walked thru PenMar park back in 2015 a little before darkI remember it being dark as I passed the Maso Dixon sign. The milage of that sign is off by about 200 miles. Probably accurate when MaxPatch walked thru in 1980s.
      I went and pulled out my 2023 AWOL guide and looked at the mileage. I don't find it works either NOBO or SOBO. Unless they somehow measured from the "State Line" and not from the terminus.
    • I think today's is sort of badly worded. "Bear Mountain State park is the lowest elevation at what feet?". Well.....isn't it actually the BRIDGE over the Hudson? Every city/state/national park I've been to has MULTIPLE elevations.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 7, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 519
      Total answers correct – 477
    • rhjanes wrote:

I think today's is sort of badly worded. "Bear Mountain State park is the lowest elevation at what feet?". Well.....isn't it actually the BRIDGE over the Hudson? Every city/state/national park I've been to has MULTIPLE elevations.

hykeroo.com/atqotd #hykerooatqot
      If the bridge didn't exist and you had to wade/ferry across the Hudson that may in fact might be the lowest point. But since the AT is the bridge your're much higher than the bear cage in the museum.

I also don't like the question. Who cares if the lowest point is 100 feet or 150 feet? A better question would be WHERE is the lowest point.
      2,000 miler
    • rhjanes wrote:

I think today's is sort of badly worded. "Bear Mountain State park is the lowest elevation at what feet?". Well.....isn't it actually the BRIDGE over the Hudson? Every city/state/national park I've been to has MULTIPLE elevations.

I think they may mean the zoo.
    • max.patch wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

hykeroo.com/atqotd #hykerooatqot
      If the bridge didn't exist and you had to wade/ferry across the Hudson that may in fact might be the lowest point. But since the AT is the bridge your're much higher than the bear cage in the museum.
      I also don't like the question. Who cares if the lowest point is 100 feet or 150 feet? A better question would be WHERE is the lowest point.
      I agree totally. Missed it at least once. Now I have the actual number memorized. But I always knew it was the lowest point.
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 8, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 310
      Total answers correct – 307
      Percentage answers correct – 99%
      Longest correct streak – 261

Always thought downhill into Port Clinton (next to Hamburg, PA) would be a great place for a Zipline. :)
    • While not the best writer, definitely the one I could relate to the most.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 9, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 311
      Total answers correct – 308
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 11, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 313
      Total answers correct – 310

That would be interesting to know if that is the month most quit. Due to the weather, or it just not being what expected right out of the gate. ?(
    • Dale Sanders (Greybeard) from around Memphis is the oldest to canoe the Mississippi.

Good frIend of Nimblewil Nomad, who broke his AT record for being the oldest.

Always impressed with how most of the FKT folks support and even help those who break their records.
    • I think there is at least one attempting a FKT on the AT this year. There might be two, but I've not followed along.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 12, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 524
      Total answers correct – 482
    • rhjanes wrote:

I think there is at least one attempting a FKT on the AT this year. There might be two, but I've not followed along.

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 12, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 524
      Total answers correct – 482
      Setting a FKT is so far from my reality. Usually I am just gritting it out to try and just finish what I started. And I consider that a personal victory. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Always impressed with how most of the FKT folks support and even help those who break their records.
      Yes, a small, dedicated, community. Jennifer Pharr-Davis book on her FKT on the AT. She broke the overall record by 26 hours. The chapter about her post-FKT. She opened an email from the prior record holder, who she had notified of her attempt beforehand and also had been for her attempt. There were two words "You B*tch" and a smiley face. Followed by phone calls of congratulations.
    • ⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 13, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 315
      Total answers correct – 312

Is it really BSP closing, or just access to Mt Katahdin?
    • rhjanes wrote:

Astro wrote:

Yes, a small, dedicated, community. Jennifer Pharr-Davis book on her FKT on the AT. She broke the overall record by 26 hours. The chapter about her post-FKT. She opened an email from the prior record holder, who she had notified of her attempt beforehand and also had been for her attempt. There were two words "You B*tch" and a smiley face. Followed by phone calls of congratulations.
      I was in my tent at Wayah Bald as she walked by. She walked under by bear bag hang, as the best tree I could find was by the trail.
    • I think today's question is poor..... "When does Baxter SP Typically close". Ummmmmm.....well.......I got the question correct, but the choice of "Never" is probably more accurate. They close to OVER NIGHT camping........

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 13, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 525
      Total answers correct – 483
    • rhjanes wrote:

I think today's question is poor..... "When does Baxter SP Typically close". Ummmmmm.....well.......I got the question correct, but the choice of "Never" is probably more accurate. They close to OVER NIGHT camping........

⛰️ AT Question Of The Day – Aug 13, 2023 ⛺
      Total questions answered – 525
      Total answers correct – 483
      yup. I've been posting BSP questions while preparing for a future hike. I know I read something on their web page about winter hiking. Perhaps they were thinking about closing the Katahdin summit trails. That's not the same as closing the park.
    • They need to delete that question as written and start over.

They don't even have the correct answer as one of the choices for the (very poorly written) question that was asked.

But, like everyone else, I got the question "correct" only becasue we knew what they were trying to ask.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

They need to delete that question as written and start over.

They don't even have the correct answer as one of the choices for the (very poorly written) question that was asked.

But, like everyone else, I got the question "correct" only becasue we knew what they were trying to ask.
      And i keep forgetting and get it incorrect every time it comes up. Ugh.
      Lost in the right direction.